RC Champion

RC scale trailer

This is a much harder project than I thought it would be. Just a lot of engineering stuff. I wanted to keep it super simple so it wouldn't ever break (trucks are hard enough to maintain!) but that meant not using any premade RC parts (except wheels & tires). I'm sort of happy with the way it's turning out, but it still needs a lot of body work and a little more fab before I can call it done. Here are some pics:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4-6yR0oKJE&feature=plcp

RC Qualifier
    looks good man, but doesn't it seem a little small? a 1/16 scale rc might fit

RC Champion
    Its bigger than it looks. It will fit what I'm building it for.

RC Qualifier
    I building one just to pull my little girl in. I guess I could get a little tikestrailer but that wouldn't be much fun
    I dream of big block power...

RC Champion
    Wow. That's going to be pretty big. Ever think about getting a wagon as a chassis and customizing it?

RC Qualifier
    i was just going to do a wagon but it sit to high for me. im wanting to build something lower to the ground. i made the axle and wheels just havent had time to do the frame yet. im not worried about a suspension she not really going to go that fast but its only going to be 27" wide and 32 long.

RC Champion
    How are you attaching the axles to the frame? That's the only thing I'm having trouble with. I'm using 1/2" OD tubing as an axle, so maybe I'll just use some tubing with a slightly larger ID than the 1/2" OD of the axle and mount that tubing to the frame... if that makes sense to you.

RC Qualifier
    Square tubing. I have 3/4" solid axle with 7/8" holes threw the square tube. Haven't had a chance to make the frame yet. Probly work on it this winter. Soon as I find the axle and wheels in the garage I will post u a pic. I made a couple full size trailers and just useing the scrap to make a smaller one just to put my baby on.

RC Champion
    I got the bed of the trailer painted. It looks pretty sweet. Just need to finish off the fenders and paint them, then mount the axle. I can't decide if I should use bearings or not. It would roll much better... but then they would need cleaned, greased, and replaced pretty often because the trailer will be used in mud.

RC Champion
    It's going to be one cool looking trailer! I've got some sticekrs coming in the mail for it, I've got the fenders nearly completed, and I've figured out how to mount the axle. I'll have it all put together in a couple of hours and I'll post a pic.

RC Champion
    These pics don't do it justice. Fenders will look much better once the inner pieces are attached and painted and the fenders get a bracket in the back. For some reason the satin black paint on the wheels, tires, and fenders looks TERRIBLE in pictures but it looks really sharp in person. Not sure exactly what the font triangle piece is going to be like yet... but it will be close to what's in the picture. I still need to come up with a coupler device too. I may put tail lights on it... but maybe not since it's going to be used harshly. Anyway... here is the video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eETIq1rI8Jc&feature=plcp

RC Qualifier
    Looks awesome bud!

RC Champion
    Thanks! I'm going on vacation tomorrow through Monday afternoon so I'll pick back up on it Monday night or Tuesday. Should be done in the middle of next week.

RC Qualifier
    Sounds good bro don't have 2 much fun! Lol

RC Qualifier
    looks good, but what are you going to haul on it?

RC Champion
    A truck. Dimensions are 9.5" wide by 13" long... if I remember correctly.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah bud that's it

RC Qualifier
    oh, your buidling it for someone else?

RC Champion
    Sort of. If he doesn't like it in the end, he doesn't have to buy it and I'd keep it for myself. It seems like he likes it though... so I guess it's his!

RC Qualifier
    how much money do you have into he trailer? (only asking because i might buy one from ya lol)

RC Champion
    Not really sure how to add it up. Technically, if I was to buy the material and everything new, it would be close to $100 dollars. The thing is, the aluminum was scrap from a 1:1 trailer, the stainless steel was lying around (not sure what it was from), the wheels and tires were used and were extra from a roller I bought a few months ago, the tubing was lying around, I have TONS of SS hardware (I just accumulate that kind of stuff), and that's about all I've used so far. I haven't needed to buy anything specifically for this project yet (I will need to spend about $20). Problem is that was the last of my 1/4" aluminum, ss, extra wheels, tapered head hardware, angle iron, and silver paint. I could add stuff up for you if you were really interested though.

RC Qualifier
    i appreciate the offer, but i dont think i can afford it now (already need to do repairs to my summit, and am trying to buy a summit for my dad)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    Not really sure how to add it up. Technically, if I was to buy the material and everything new, it would be close to $100 dollars. The thing is, the aluminum was scrap from a 1:1 trailer, the stainless steel was lying around (not sure what it was from), the wheels and tires were used and were extra from a roller I bought a few months ago, the tubing was lying around, I have TONS of SS hardware (I just accumulate that kind of stuff), and that's about all I've used so far. I haven't needed to buy anything specifically for this project yet (I will need to spend about $20). Problem is that was the last of my 1/4" aluminum, ss, extra wheels, tapered head hardware, angle iron, and silver paint. I could add stuff up for you if you were really interested though.
    Did u get that trailer done? I watched the "spark video"

RC Champion
    No. I was on vacation since Friday.... just got back today. Time to get back in the groove and finish it up tomorrow or Wednesday.

RC Champion
    Well.... it's close. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgtXi6B52rs&feature=plcp
    Still need to mount the axle, bolt on the other fender, and attach the front triangle thing. Then I need to figure out a hitch.

RC Qualifier
    Cool. Looks good.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisnhisrevo View Post
    Cool. Looks good.
    Thanks. It's better in person. I really like the matte black stripes I added.

RC Qualifier
    Looks better in person.. ill hop in the truck . Be there n a few

Yea pics does no justice for something that's not 1:1 scale

RC Champion
    The paint just doesn't show well in the pics. Not sure why. Probably because I lost all my good cameras and I'm using a 20 dollar Sanyo pink camera lol

RC Racer
    I REALLY like this trailer. it would be perfect for hauling my mini late model
    Martin
    Shaftsburyslingshot21

RC Champion
    Nice to see how this "from scratch builds" do.....Good job so far.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis