Thread: Rusty veering

RC Champion

Rusty veering

My Rusty vxl has an issue with veering at speed that I haven't been able to figure out. I am leaning on fellow members to give me some advice. I have the trim set in the middle, and I am using the Slash 4x4 bellcrank with bearings, Protrac arms and links, REM shock towers, Proline tranny. Everything is tight and spins freely. When I start out slow it will veer to the right, but as speed is increased it will start veering to the left. I have to constantly adjust so I don't go off the road or hit a mailbox. Please help. Thanks, dc
    Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I had that issue and one of my rear carriers had a crack on it, also check for a bad bearing.

RC Champion
    check for cracked parts and stuff, test your bearings, ect. I would advice you go through an inspection of the whole truck. If you can't find it also check for excess toe-out in the front. this could cause the truck to want to steer constantly.

RC poster
    I had the same problem, it was my caster blocks. Check the bottom of it where the pin secures it to the a arm for any play or movement.

RC Qualifier
    Which servo are you using?

RC Champion
    I have aluminum rear carriers, so no cracks, bearings are good, caster blocks are ANZA with kingpins. I will check the toe out, that may be the issue. I am using the 2075 servo.

Odd that it goes in one direction when going slow and the other direction when going fast. How is the front toe in/out set up? Maybe you have some toe out, this will make the truck dive into corners harder but also tend to make it wander when trying to drive straight.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    The front wheels/tires are angled \ / like such. Maybe I should minimize the angle or make it more toe in.

RC Champion
    that's your problem. The wheels should be parallel, like this: | |. not so much like \ /. Adjust the steering linkage on both sides until they get perfectly parallel, unless you decide you want toe in or out. If you like agressive steering you could ad a degree or two out, but you never want a ton of toe out

Quote Originally Posted by dcsally97 View Post
    The front wheels/tires are angled \ / like such. Maybe I should minimize the angle or make it more toe in.
    I run a little toe in on my Rusty it makes it much more stable and tends to track straight easier. On my 4wd truck I run a little toe out like you have diagrammed, it makes them dive into corners better. I would say changing it to a little toe in is worth a try to see if it helps your issue.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    The 2075 seems to center well, so that's probably not it. As far as the toe goes, toe in will probably help. Toe out does seem to make handling a little squirrely on the street, especially as light as the frontend gets on hard acceleration. Those Anza casters are the sauce, aren't they? I abandoned my "tuff kingpin" project since getting a set, and they look like hard-ano'd jewelry. Lengthening the upper camber link seems to have reduced that "hook" as the car sets into a corner- at first I thought that the loss in camber gain would be detrimental to the middle of the corner, but it really smooths the transition.