RC poster

Burned up ESC's on two new 1/16 4x4 slash w/ lipo

I just bought two 1/6 scale 4x4 slash that come with the 12T motor. These also came with the now discontinued NON-LVD Xl2.5 speed control. We had a couple of runs using the stock nmhi batteries and no problems, but after hooking up some Tenergy 2200 2s lipos', my son's slash released the magic white smoke from the ESC after about 1 minute and it was dead, and my ESC got to where it only has forward (no reverse or brakes) and full throttle (no variation in speed). Traxxas will repleace the discontinued XL2.5 with the newer XL2.5 with low voltage detection under warranty. When I look at the spec sheets for the ESC's, the discontinued XL2.5 does not even claim to support a 12 turn 550 motor even though it was installed in these trucks at the factory. The spec sheet for the new xl2.5 LVD does say it supports 12T 550 motors.....I wonder if the old XL2.5's were junk?

I don't have plans to upgrade these trucks much. We have 1/10 pede's that are brushless for that. I do plan on putting in some Team Orion SV2 motors (17 turns) when the 12T's burn up.

My question is: do you think that the XL2.5 LVD speed control will handle the Team Orion motors (as well as the stock 12T) with 2s lipo for a long time? Otherwise I would sell the XL2.5's before even using them and buy some XL5 LVD's . I know Traxxas has a Power Up program, but the customer support guy I talked to said they can't just upgrade the ESC by itself. I don't want to sink more money into these trucks than I have to. Worse case: I will just use the OLD XL5 (yellow) ESC that came with my pede, and my kid will probably spend his money to upgrade to the XL5 LVD.
    "If I close my mind in fear, please pry it open"

The LVD 2.5's are too new to really know what they are capable of. Although I doubt they just added LVD to the old 2.5. At least I hope that is not what they did... because most of the 2.5's could not stand up to LiPo, as you have figured out.

Since the 17 turn is not as "hot" as the 12 turn, I imagine it will handle it just fine... or am I missing something?
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC poster
    It's frustrating that the owners manual (7005) states that you can use Lipos with the XL 2.5(old), but it does not have LVD (sold seperately, consult your hobby dealer)....

I guess you are telling me that people have been burning them up often when using lipo?

Can you show me where it says that? Like a link or something?
    Not that I don't believe you, it is just that I have never seen anything stating that the 2.5 could take LiPo... other than its ratings being below 2S LiPo voltage.

People have been smoking them with LiPo... me included.
    First trigger pull.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Can you show me where it says that? Like a link or something?
    Not that I don't believe you, it is just that I have never seen anything stating that the 2.5 could take LiPo... other than its ratings being below 2S LiPo voltage.

People have been smoking them with LiPo... me included.
    First trigger pull.
    Not sure what you mean by "other than its ratings being below 2S LiPo voltage." because the spec sheet says 4-8 cells (4.8V to 9.6V DC) and a 2s lipo is 7.4V. http://traxxas.com/products/parts/otherparts/xl25

7005 brushed 1/16 slash 4x4 owner manual: http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...4X4-manual.pdf

Go to page 11, 2nd column at the top.
    Last edited by poppawheelie; 08-02-2012 at 01:25 PM.

RC Qualifier
    It does say not to run them without the LVC, although I cant see how that would affect them when fully charged.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Cipher_Jones View Post
    It does say not to run them without the LVC, although I cant see how that would affect them when fully charged.
    correct. The LVD only protects the lipo battery from overdischarging itself, and has nothing to do with the health of the ESC.
    Last edited by poppawheelie; 08-02-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by poppawheelie View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "other than its ratings being below 2S LiPo voltage." because the spec sheet says 4-8 cells (4.8V to 9.6V DC) and a 2s lipo is 7.4V. [url]http://traxxas.com/products/parts/otherparts/xl25[/url
    I don't understand the confusion...
    The ESC is rated for up to 9.6v... which is below 2S voltage of 8.4.

Probably one of those things; like positive test results being bad...

RC poster
    I just had similar situation. New 1/16 E-revo w/ stock motor (Titan 12T550) and ESC (XL2.5 LVD). It ran fine w/ a couple runs on 7.2V NiMH battery. It was fine w/ 2S 50c Lipo in training mode. 2 minutes of full power w/ 2S lipo and ESC started smoking and is ruined.

Welcome to the forum.

You just replied to a 4.5 year old thread.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC poster
    I realize the thread is four years old. You don't have to be a douche about it. Just sharing my experience so people can see how often this happens and know what set-ups to avoid.

RC Champion
    The issue isn't the voltage. Just because you are within voltage specs, doesn't mean all will be good.
    The issue is that the old xl2.5 isn't rated for the amps that lipo can put out.
    A 4-8 cell 2/3aa pack can put out at most 15-20 amps constantly, and even that only for 5 min or so. An even half decent 2 cell pack that will fit in this truck can easily put out 50-60 amps for as long as you ask it to.
    The esc, even though it isn't rated for a 12 turn motor, was protected by crappy batteries that could put out enough amps to hurt it... The lipos we use in our mini's today were unheard of when the original xl2.5 was designed. The reason they came out with the new xl2.5 us because of lipos becoming more common.

Imo, there is nothing wrong with replying to a years old thread as long as 1: it's still relevant, and 2: you aren't asking a question or trying to provide a "solution" to a problem that was likey solved years ago. There is always the chance that someone else's xl2.5 will be saved reading it....
    Dacaur

Quote Originally Posted by extremercdad View Post
    I realize the thread is four years old. You don't have to be a douche about it. Just sharing my experience so people can see how often this happens and know what set-ups to avoid.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. I won't be a douche about it again.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Enthusiast
    My ESC also fried, and I am trying to find out why. Seems to be a common problem for TRAXXAS. Their help line will glady sell you another one, but that was all the help I got.

There are alot of boneheads that ask the original poster a question that is 4.5 years old...why not make a new thread? Dont be a thread-jacker, and you will not receive comments that you think are douchey.

RC poster
    I have a MERV with the new xl2.5 LVD and the titan 550 12T I run 2x 2S 35-70c lipos on it no problem. The ESC has been handling fine. Hopefully this replaced ESC that traxxas send you won't cause you anymore problems! Cheers
    Traxxas E-Revo 1/16 Brushed

RC Qualifier
    I upgraded my brushed 1/16 to the xl-5. Seems to be a bit punchier too.

RC Enthusiast
    I went aftermarket (sidewinder 3) and am going strong. I recomend it highly, however I'm biased against traxxas based on my experience.

RC Qualifier
    the xl-5 doest break a sweat on mine, I had it lying a round so threw it in my second merv.

RC Enthusiast
    Both of my XL2.5 esc's say "low voltage detection" right on them, meaning they were designed for Lipo. So why yours burned up, I dunno, it should have been able to havdle it. I've run lipo through my XL2.5's without issue. My XL5 says 3s, but I wouldn't run 3s through the 2.5 esc.

Don't sweat the old topic, I've done it too, and it usually brings up relevant info anyways.