RC Competitor

Another electric conversion...

I've had nothing but electric RC's since I got into this hobby. About a month ago I picked up a used slayer and this week I traded my 1/16 scale e-revo for a nitro revo with a 3.3. The revo ran fine but I couldn't resist the urge to convert it. I didn't want to drop a ton of cash for this (like that's possible with this hobby, lol) so I opted for the cheapest kit I could find out there (around $32 bucks). I also scored a brand new mamba monster setup for $260 locally.

I turned off the reverse function on my ESC and set the motor brakes to 10% (lowest I could go). Using break mixing on my TX I was able to keep the mechanical brakes. If I decide I want reverse I'll do the required tranny mods. I still need to figure out the battery velcro situation but for now this will have to do. Figured I'd share for anyone who has been thinking about doing this. Ran it for a few minutes last night and this sucker moves! Taking it to the track today to see what I can break.

And for the record, I'm keeping the slayer as a nitro truck! As much as I like electric I must admit I am liking the sound and smell of that stuff!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    cool conversion, nicely done!! is that 5s lipo? i see your still using your electrical brake hows that working out for you? did you do the 2nd gear lockout? i also recently did mine, heres the link.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...O-E-conversion
    3 screws method 2nd gear lockout
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 08-10-2012 at 03:56 PM.

RC Competitor
    Thanks. I haven't done anything else to the truck yet. The mechanical breaks are working well so far. I haven't done the 2nd gear lockout but I plan to. Do I still need to do that if I do the forward only mod so I can have reverse?
    And yes, that is a 5s lipo. I need to order a 6s to see what all of my mamba monster powered trucks can do!

RC Champion
    You will need to lock it into second to get revers even with a FOC I recommend a center diff with an aluminum cup only way I have been able to keep mine intact. Fortunately I got one of oomps last lock out kits made it a drop in and forget it mod. What motor mount are you using? Also turn down the punch control i was eating spur gears left and right now Im running a 36t integy steel spur with no problems, but it moved the weak point further down the drive line.
    Cads, Insane RC, PWC,and BOAT CORNUCOPIA

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the info. I am using a very cheap mount I bought on how2rc.com's site. I didn't want to drop over $100 for the tekno kit so I figured I'd give this one a shot. Extremely basic kit, but if it holds up it will be $32 well spent! Looks like I have some work to do on this tranny. But I have to say it moves well as it sits right now.

RC Champion
    Cool I like that kit more than the one I have I am limited to long shank pinions that moves the motor up closer to use a standard pinion. What is the internal dimension of it I have a huge motor in mine and had to mod it to fit the 42mm can.

i use the (shame to say this) integy motor mount and i have to say it is in there like it should, with few modding. i have to put some spacer to clear the motor to the mount and spacer to move the motor forward.

RC Champion
    I have the same mount H, I dremled mine out to fit it and didn't like the idea of spacing the plate but if its holding up for you Ill try that. The turnegy track star motor is 42mm so I had to hog out a lot to get it to fit. I also have my ESC in front of the motor its tucked in from flip landings but side impacts its hanging out there. So far the 36t spur and 13t pinion are working well together.

RC poster
    just wondering i have an extra vxl system will that motor and esc be enought to run my revo thanks

no, its a heavy truck to power up an vxl system. i have tried it once with my ERBE while i was waiting for my castle MMM and all i did was drive it around for few minutes (not full throttle) in the front yard, heat jump up real quick from 100 degrees to 160 degrees in less than 5 minutes.

RC poster
    thanks saved me from burning mine up

here are some of the 1/8 BL system that dont bottom out your bank acc.
    http://www.rcecho.com/HOBBYWING-XERU...mbo-ME222.html

RC Competitor
    Guess who has to get new tranny gears now, LOL!!

Yep, me! I took it to a buddy's house to bash around for a while and I noticed that the slipper was very loose. So in my infinite wisdom I tightened it down (more than I should have). After I did that I finally experienced the flipping over everyone has been talking about. The first trigger pull made the truck flip onto its back! I was able to drive it around by easing on the throttle, but the little kid in me took over and I started ragging on it. I got about 3 flips out of it. When I went to try to do a flip from a standstill it just imploded on itself. 2 nylon gears are toast as well as the main steel shaft that 1st and 2nd gear sit on. I can't really be upset. It sucks but I had fun. Now I am buying a new tranny, locking it into 2nd and am NOT going to leave that slipper so tight. Lesson learned

same here bud, i only run mine like 3X on 4s with less throttle (never got it full) but i guess i have it too tight, not to mention this is my first time using the aluminum slipper pads.

end result for having it too tight. i have to admit its fun to see it backflip.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    same here bud, i only run mine like 3X on 4s with less throttle (never got it full) but i guess i have it too tight, not to mention this is my first time using the aluminum slipper pads.

end result for having it too tight. i have to admit its fun to see it backflip.
    That's exactly what got me today...the fun factor! That's why I'm not really upset about this. I saw the set of robinson racing gears on ebay for like 88 bucks, but I don't know if I want to go that route when new complete trannys are going for 40 to 50.

RC Champion
    I was having problems using a tmax disk brake as a slipper ditch it for the stock pads and a moderately tight slipper and no problems. I was eating up center diffs and FOC gears like they were candy.

Quote Originally Posted by insanity View Post
    I was eating up center diffs and FOC gears like they were candy.
    was that with the t-maxx disc brake pad or the stock pads?

RC Champion
    With the emax disk I had all kinds of problems biggest was it had to be locked down or it would not go. That caused a lot of my parts to brake. I have since had good luck with the stock fiber pads and haven't even thought about the metal ones. I don't bash it as often as I used to I can't keep a tire glued for anything. Also don't have the funds to just drop on RC like I use to.

RC Racer

This happened to me today. I have the aluminum pads too, and I know the slipper slipped at least a bit, because I marked it prior to the drive. I'm probably going to purchase Robinson's steel Top shaft gears (p/n 8027). I thought about just using a $9 steel pinion and some brass spacers made of tubing, but the RR gears are just an additional $9.

I bought a radar gun and was only able to get it to 44mph over short distance before this happened. Minus various factors, it's geared for 51-56mph on 4S. Repairs are being required a bit more than I originally anticipated. At least the tranny is a lot easier/faster to get out and repair now that more than 1/2 the gears are gone and there are no mechanical brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by metoo2 View Post
    This happened to me today. I have the aluminum pads too, and I know the slipper slipped at least a bit, because I marked it prior to the drive. I'm probably going to purchase Robinson's steel Top shaft gears (p/n 8027). I thought about just using a $9 steel pinion and some brass spacers made of tubing, but the RR gears are just an additional $9.

I bought a radar gun and was only able to get it to 44mph over short distance before this happened. Minus various factors, it's geared for 51-56mph on 4S. Repairs are being required a bit more than I originally anticipated. At least the tranny is a lot easier/faster to get out and repair now that more than 1/2 the gears are gone and there are no mechanical brakes.
    i guess for $9 more its worthed, you cant go wrong with RRP . i test my slipper by holding one end with allen wrench and spin the spur by hand, i tighthened it to the point to where i barely cant turn it anymore.
    what gear set is that to hit above 50's on 4S. i did try mine on 20t/40t and a couple of laps my ESC fan turns on (crazy fast its out of control veering alot cant keep it on straight line) and i know i have it overgeared, so now i have it geared to 13t/40t and the ESC fan dont come on anymore, still pretty fast for me.

RC Racer
    Electric in the ***NITRO*** section...blah...

let the marshalls do their job, they will eventually transfer it if it does'nt belongs here. you got to understand its base on a nitro, just dont wanna deal with tuning. its plug and play, grad and go, less cleaning.
    dont hate, appreciate.
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 08-19-2012 at 03:22 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dan291000 View Post
    Electric in the ***NITRO*** section...blah...
    It belongs here in my opinion. E-revo guys have no interest in this conversion and it still has more in common with a non-converted Revo. That said, I put my conversion thread in the E-revo Brushless forum, even tho I feel it belongs here.

let the marshalls do their job, they will eventually transfer it if it does'nt belongs here. you got to understand its base on a nitro, just dont wanna deal with tuning. its plug and play, grad and go, less cleaning.
    dont hate, appreciate.
    Agreed.

RC Competitor
    Nice conversion and sounds like you're having alot of fun, fixing you're rc is half the fun of the hobby.