Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Starting a Rustler build....

I picked this up as a roller from Pave last year as an impulse buy when Traxxas kept on pushing the release date of the XO-1. After receiving the Rustler, the XO-1 finally arrived shortly after so this was put on hold and was just collecting dust ever since. I was planning on selling it but decided to keep it since I have plenty of spares to get it started. The Rustler already came with the Protrac arms,REM shock towers, and bulkhead. I had some spare AKA 17mm Hex from my slash 4x4 and IPANEMA wide GT slicks that I installed. I still haven't decided on which motor to use with my MMP. The spare motors I have (Tekin Redline 17.5T, Castle 4600 CM36, and Castle 5700 4-pole) are not enough for the setup I want. I am not planning on building a 100mph setup and want to keep this light with a 3cell max so I'm debating on a Castle 3800kv 4-pole, 4600kv 4-pole, or a Tekin pro-4 4000kv.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Last edited by all aluminum; 08-10-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    XO-1|SlashUE-MMM2200|Rally-SV2&MERV-MMP w/NEU1112

RC Champion
    Sooooo.... what's the build?

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, I accidentally hit send on my phone without finishing my first post.....I'm planning on upgrading the stock shocks, bell cranks, drive shafts, and picking up the proline transmission. Any setup advice is appreciated.....

Here are some pics so far...

The last rustler I had was 10 years ago when I built a "all aluminum" back in my nitro days . I want to build a lighter setup this time around....

RC Champion
    How did the all aluminum Rustler work? I'm building a "Billet Bandit".

RC Qualifier
    it was too heavy and at the end it was more for looks than performance. RPM did not have the arms available back then so aluminum was my only option. I wouldn't do it again with the stronger plastic parts that they have available now.

RC Champion
    That's about what I expected. It's going to look so incredible though

Quote Originally Posted by all aluminum View Post
    Yeah, I accidentally hit send on my phone without finishing my first post.....I'm planning on upgrading the stock shocks, bell cranks, drive shafts, and picking up the proline transmission. Any setup advice is appreciated.....

Here are some pics so far...

The last rustler I had was 10 years ago when I built a "all aluminum" back in my nitro days . I want to build a lighter setup this time around....
    That's a lot of bling!!

Sent from my old phone
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    I will definitely post more pics once I get all the hop ups ordered. I'm still making a list of parts to order....so far all I can do is balance the tires and mount the electronics that I have..

Here's a pic of the IMPANEMA tire between the front and rear XO-1 tires.

RC Qualifier
    Ordered some parts last week and only the Integy gear box came in. So far I like it since the REM wasn't in stock. I'm still undecided on the motor but after using the 5700kv on 3s, I might go with a 2400kv and volt up for speed. This was going to be a spare parts build, but after looking at some setups I'll have to raise the budget for it

I'm not sure what is going on with my Spektrum receivers....they have been browning out with my big block setups (MMM 2200kv w/ high torque servos) and didn't expect it to do the same on this one. I replaced it with another Rx with a glitch buster to see if it will fix it.

Last edited by all aluminum; 08-16-2012 at 04:10 PM.

RC Competitor
    Ordered some parts last week and only the Integy gear box came in. So far I like it since the REM wasn't in stock. I'm still undecided on the motor but after using the 5700kv on 3s, I might go with a 2400kv and volt up for speed. This was going to be a spare parts build, but after looking at some setups I'll have to raise the budget for it

I'm not sure what is going on with my Spektrum receivers....they have been browning out with my big block setups (MMM 2200kv w/ high torque servos) and didn't expect it to do the same on this one. I replaced it with another Rx with a glitch buster to see if it will fix it.

Dunno how much you care about suspension, but that Integy gearbox is heavy. It holds up nicely in that I never busted it. I do however recommend the Proline trans. It seems a little sensitive but it's not bad so long as you leave the slipper alone and protect the very back of it with RPM's motor guard. The proline trans Sure is lighter though, so the suspension is better

RC Qualifier
    That was on my wish list but backed off in case I decide to go with a 32p gearing. I'll have to see with my final setup, I can always put the Integy gearbox on my son's stampede.

RC Enthusiast
    go proline RPM or anything other than integy, unless ya just want a shelf queen
    IF IT AINT BROKE
    YOU AINT BASHIN

RC Champion
    Integy trans cases are actually good. I've never had a problem with an Integy part for that matter. I avoid them because of all the negativity on the forums about them but I've gotten some Integy stuff in package deals and I like it all.

I like those wheels. Looks great so far.

Looks great all alum. U defiantly know what u are doing! Btw..IMO the Integy is not that heavy at all. its actually the lightest our of the all alum trannys. Im really satisfied with mine.

That setup looks MEAN! Love the way its looking. Btw.. If u wanted to mount the MMP in its original position, this is what I did, to get it to fit, yet not have to use the Traxxas extenders and make it to long. Used some axial 3x7.5 mm spacers.

Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Qualifier
    Thanks fellas.......That's funny I used the same spacers (from my Axial spares) on my son's stampede to clear the bigger batteries.

As far as the INTEGY gear box, I finally had the chance to run them and did not see a difference in the weight to affect handling and performance. I was actually impressed with the lowered temps on the 5700kv I used on 3s. This is definitely a keeper on my setup. I know every post that has INTEGY in the topic, many people count it out (even if they never used them). I have bent many aluminum parts from different manufacturers, you just have to learn and think wisely where to use them. I actually used the $30 INTEGY brushless conversion motor mount on one of my 1/8 trucks and it held up just as good as my other $100 brushless mount on a similar 1/8 truck.

As for the wheels, I am loving the IPANEMA's GT slicks since they are lighter compared to the XO-1 tires plus they are smaller which fits the scale of the Rustler perfectly. Don't get me wrong, the XO-1 tires are great for speed runs on my XO-1. Thats why my friends and I also use them on our 1/8 buggies (Vorza/EB4) for speed runs. They are just too big for the Rustler IMO.

RC Enthusiast
    Any Integy product I've bought has broke with in an hour of run time, I am a hard core basher a 15 to 20 foot jump don't scare me one bit with RPM products and my REVO has'nt let me down yet
    IF IT AINT BROKE
    YOU AINT BASHIN

I have a couple of steel roll bars that I like and have held up pretty well. That's all the Integy that I use.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nitroroosta View Post
    Any Integy product I've bought has broke with in an hour of run time, I am a hard core basher a 15 to 20 foot jump don't scare me one bit with RPM products and my REVO has'nt let me down yet
    Did you read my post? I guess you didn't get my point. Regardless of your bad experience with INTEGY, their gear box and a few parts have worked well and the actual owners have said so. If RPM had a gearbox that can lower my temps then I would be all over it. Check out all of my build threads, I only use necessary aluminum parts on all of my 16 (and growing) working rigs. I don't care if you bent your INTEGY parts, chances are you will bend any aluminum part if you upgraded the wrong piece regardless if it's INTEGY or not. I don't want this thread to be another INTEGY debate, there are plenty of that already....

RC Champion
    subscribed

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice build as always, btw I ran integy tranny case with a MMM-2200, and it was great.

Nice rig bro.. I agree on the Integy case, Think its one of the top Alum cases out there for 2wd.. I dislike em as much as the next guy, but they did a good job on their cases....

RC Qualifier
    This is going to be my slowest build ever I shouldn't have started this without finishing my other builds. The nice part is that it's not going to take much to finish this the way I want it.

I picked up 2 sets of front wheels since the wide wheels in the front were rubbing from the steering slop when turning hard. I also ordered some aluminum caster to stiffen the steering and rear bearing carrier. I also picked up some big bores since the stock shocks are leaking.

I'm glad I ordered two sets of fronts

This looks familiar... I love mine.

RC Qualifier
    How are those IPANEMA wheel/tires? I have a mamba monster 2200kv setup for speed runs. I currently have jaco foams and might need to switch later on. Thanks in advance! Btw I'm lovin' your build. It's super nice! Good luck with everything

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    This looks familiar... I love mine.
    I love it 3x ....btw, are you in the WT forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroelectric View Post
    How are those IPANEMA wheel/tires? I have a mamba monster 2200kv setup for speed runs. I currently have jaco foams and might need to switch later on. Thanks in advance! Btw I'm lovin' your build. It's super nice! Good luck with everything
    Thanks man....the tires are great but a bit on the fragile side.

RC Qualifier
    Oh okay thanks. I might get them if something happens to my foams lol.

I love it 3x ....btw, are you in the WT forum?
    Your inbox is full...

RC Qualifier
    just cleared it....

RC Qualifier
    Back from vacation and USPS was at my door to deliver the last items for my RC projects

I didn't realize that I ordered two servos (DS1313 and Hitec 5625) for the rustler

.....and finally, my power plant NEU 1509 1.5D. This should give me the "Big Block" power in a shorter can, plus it has a higher KV rating that will give me the speed with just using a 3s Lipo.

Some comparison pics starting with the 5700kv, 4000kv, NEU 1509 (4500kv), 2650kv, and the 2200kv.

RC Qualifier
    Looks like you have a drift pro GD-4 gyro I'm assuming. Tell me how it works for you. Awesome parts btw. Its going to look ca-razayyyyyy!!!!

Nice all aluiminum. UR Rustler is gonna look HARD! U always have had great taste. Love it. Nice parts package in the mail btw!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys...I started working on it tonight hoping to finish it, but could could not find my spare 32P gears. I might run the 4000kv Vektor motor from my savage XS until I figure out the gearing I need. Here are more pics of my progress....

I ordered the top aluminum plate hoping it would add more weight in the front, but it looks like I'll need to stack up four of them to make a difference

I definitely eliminated the slop after adding the aluminum bell crank and the front and rear hubs.....

Replaced the leaky shocks with big bores all around...

RC Qualifier
    Went to my LHS and they didn't have the 32p gearing I needed. I went ahead and installed the Vektor 4000kv and will run the 31/76 combo. If it can keep cool and be able to run at least 70mph then it might stay...

Some progress....cleaned up some of the wiring using some extra AXIAL plastic parts that I had plus I wanted to cover all the stock mounting holes.

Last edited by all aluminum; 09-05-2012 at 07:04 PM.

RC Racer
    Can you clarify something real quick: Are those Xo-1 tires on the back and the ipanema wides on the front? or?
    and do you have any times with that NEU motor yet?

RC Qualifier
    I'm running all IPANEMA GT slicks on this Rustler (check the pics)....narrow on the front and wide on the back. I have not tried the NEU motor yet since I still need 32p gearing.

RC Racer
    sounds good; so you didn't like the XO-1 tires on the back? or

RC Racer
    Hey All Alum:
    Have you tested out that Neu motor yet? Any updates? Very curios to know how it compares to the 2200 or 2650

RC Qualifier
    I haven't tried the NEU motor yet since I was content with the 4000kv for now. I moved on to finish my other 1/8th scale projects and will come back to this one once they are done.

Thats sick man, Looks real great. Love what u did with the axial parts. What part number is that parts tree? Check out my thread I just posted up. Big time update on my progress.

Also, Check out how I mounted weights up front.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast