RC Champion

Anyone using the Hobbywing WP SC8 ESC?

I thought I'd ask this on the BL forum because I figured I'd get more response.

I've got some money saved up and I'm thinking about the next upgrade(s) to my E Maxx. I'm running the 14.4 DeWalt motor with LiPo's on the stock (non-LVD) EVX-2. The ESC hasn't given up the ghost yet, but I've gotten it pretty hot a few times so I'm not sure how much longer it's going to last.

Anyways, I'm wondering who all is using the Hobbywing Water Proof SC8 ESC and how would you rate it?

Does it fit in the stock chassis without any modification?

If I decided to go with a brushless motor later, is it powerful enough to push the motor to get some good speeds?

Thanks for the input.

RC Racer
    I rate is very high. The nice little program box works well, very easy to use.
    Fits right in the chassis very well. No mods needed. Fits perfect.
    I have gone past 50 MPH. Right now I have it geared at 24/65 and it runs over 47 MPH. Will be changing it to 26/65 so I'll be able to break 50 when I want.
    The only time the ESC got hot was when I forget to plug in the fan connection after using the programming box. I'd buy it again.

RC Champion
    Do I need to have the program card?

RC Qualifier
    The card isn't needed to program, it just makes it easier. They do make two cards. Ones a V1 and the other is a V2 LCD (professional) that will interface your computer like Castle's.

Were you thinking of using it with your brushed motor?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by LD View Post
    Were you thinking of using it with your brushed motor?
    Yes, is that possible? Its the brushed DeWalt with 2-2s LiPos.

-----> 1.7 Suitable Car: 1/10 4WD SCT, 1/8 2WD and 4WD buggy/SCT (Include TRAXXAS 1/10 SCT);
    And you can't run on 6S!!
    Input: 6-12 cells NiMH/NiCd or 2-4S Lipo;

RC Racer
    Why not spend an extra $62 and get the brushless tacon. I'm very happy I switched to brushless and got rid of the brushed motors.

RC Enthusiast
    I own 2 SC8's and an 80 amper. I cannot rate this esc higher they are the best. Why would you almost double the price for a Tacon? Makes no sense to me.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodsy View Post
    Why would you almost double the price for a Tacon? Makes no sense to me.
    I have no idea what you are talking about. Double the price vs. what a clear emaxx body, a day at the amusement park?

I have the Tacon 2150 Kv, was $62 delivered. Best current price I found online.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    a friend of mine here bought this combo for his EMBE and he could'nt be any happier. check it out!!!! http://www.rcecho.com/HOBBYWING-XERU...mbo-ME222.html

RC Champion
    i like hobbywing. i just recieved my sc8 esc. im waiting for my 2700 kv motor.

i am running the sensored 1800kv on a 150 amp hobbywing in my e-maxx right now. it is a pure beast.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Champion
    The reason I don't want a BL motor is that I'm happy with my DeWalt motor. Crazy speeds aren't important to me right now, but an ESC with on internal LVD is. I'm tired of trying find ways of keeping my LVA plugged in and dry.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by M n M View Post
    Yes, is that possible? Its the brushed DeWalt with 2-2s LiPos.
    I don't think it is.

RC Champion
    I don't think it is.
    You can. Myself and others are already doing it.

RC Qualifier
    Does it show how to wire it up to a brushed motor in your manual?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    some or most brushless ESC can run brushed motors, it says in the manual

i made a little video of my vxl3s with Makita 14.4V brushed motor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjUVA...&feature=g-upl

RC Champion
    Does it show how to wire it up to a brushed motor in your manual?
    I meant that you can run LiPo's with the EVX-2/DeWalt motor combo.

As for my current wiring set up I have both red wires from the ESC soldered into one connection at the motor. Same with the black wires.

Like this:

I guess my thought is that the Brushless ESC is not increasing the voltage supplied from the batteries… Right? So if my 2s LiPo's aren't pushing out anymore than a max of 16.8 volts which is the same as NiMH's why would this be issue using a BL ESC on a brushed motor?
    Last edited by M n M; 08-16-2012 at 09:21 AM.

well thought i should chime in now the i am home from vacation and signal kept fading off up there.

when i ran my embe with the hobbywing combo i bought for it, it ran excellent. the esc was cool and motor just warm unless i ran it full throttle all the time then it got warm on the esc and slighty warmer on motor only. due to the fan always being on the esc mentioned it stays rather cool most of the time unless your running it full throttle up hill like i did a few times only but excellent esc for the price. i ran 4s most of the time and let me tell you it ran good with my 4000mah 40c 2s lipos i hooked up i ran for 35mins nonstop without taking a break and i still didnt run the lipos down and they were cool to the touch both esc and lipos so the esc doesnt draw too much seems like but great over all. i would buy it again for sure. i'll be getting this esc for my merv when the stock one goes out instead of the MMP which is rated for 2-6s but 2-4s on this esc if just right for both 1/8-1/16 scales.

look around for the right price and shipping as well. if you order at RCECHO.com type this promo code like i did not sure if its still good but try: wish2012 and choose express shipping if i were you or you will wait for like 3 weeks to get your order compared to 3-4days to get express.
    Hope this helps and good luck
    Living life.

RC Qualifier
    I looked in my SC8 water resistant manual and it didn't have any info on running a brushed motor. I think humay is right about BL ESC's can run brushed, but if so you'd think it would be in the manual. The VXL3 says it can run brushed, just wondering if the SC8 can also.

I wouldn't think the SC8WP will increase your voltage if it can run brushed. The max lipo voltage is 16.8 but under load it's closer to 14.4 volts so that's what the motors will see.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the input guys.

I guess sometimes I get confused with terminology. Or maybe I try to apply basic common sense to things that I shouldn't. I'm by no means an Electrical Engineer. So I don't understand why some ESC's are dubbed Brushless or even Brushed. To me, an ESC is set or engineered to handle a certain voltage load. For Example, the EVX-2 is "Rated" at 16.8 volts. So that's considered the maximum amount of volts it can handle. Mean while the Hobbywing is rated to handle 6-12 cells NiMH/NiCd or 2-4S Lipo's. 4s LiPo's are "Rated" at 14.8 volts. On the top end of the scale, the Mamba Max Pro can operate at up to 6S, that's a nominal rating of 22.2 volts.

So I guess where I'm going with this is… With my basic understanding of how all this works, if I have a brushed 14.4 DeWalt motor (which I do), why can't I run it with a MMP powered by two 2s LiPo's? Not that I would send the money on a MMP just to run 2s, my point is theoretically I should be able to.

Goalieman3037 has already pushed the envelope by testing his DeWalt with 6s LiPo.

RC Champion
    I figured I'd try it out. I just ordered it with the program card. The promo code is still good. ESC+card+shipping=$77