RC poster

New life to old/stock rustler 3706-part 2

Ok so I upgraded the old 20 turn stinger to a Velineon brushless system, upgraded tranny to all steel gears, RPM front and rear carriers along with all new bearings, RPM front bumper, rear bumper mount and motor protector. Upgraded the both turnbuckles, and added a new waterproof servo and just added Big Bore shocks, and also added new bigger tires.

after upgrading the motor and esc, I noticed that now the rear sits REALLY low...I thought that it was due to the stock shocks that I still had so I bought the new Big Bore shocks. but it didn't help...the rear is still extremly low (lower than the front) I made sure to add the correct amount of oil as listed in the directions but its just too low. The only way that seems to fix it is by add 2x 8mm spacers on each of the rear shocks.

Is there anything else I can do? different oil? changing the rear shock tower to a RPM branded? changing the rear a-arms?

RC Champion
    What springs are on the rear? If the truck was sitting on it's wheels and had a load on the springs for a long time, and you reused the same springs, they could be permanently compressed. Either that or you just have too soft of a spring on your rear shocks. Also, you did get the correct length shocks for the rear? The XX long? One other thing... what holes are you using in the a-arm for the shocks? If you have them on the outer-most hole, that will lower it considerably compared to using the inner-most hole.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC poster
    I have the new springs that came with the Traxxas 5862 Big Bore shocks kit. as for the length I assume I did get the correct lengths since the kit comes with 2 short ones for the front and 2 longer ones for the rear. on the a-arm I am using the inner-most hole.

once i fiure out how to add pic i'll throw one up to see my config

Are ur shocks sagging/? if so, u need the preload spacers. Rears of 2wds, near that extra, Not on the front though, it MAY need just a thin one, or half size. But rear does..

Also, there are those holes on the A arms, that u can adjust the ride heigth and suspension geometry.But above all else, use the thick spacers that came with the Big bores u got, on the parts tree. They are specific to those shocks.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Champion
    sounds like the springs have been sitting loaded for too long. Replacing them will most likely fix your problem

RC poster
    ok so if I decide to buy new springs what springs do you guys recommend for bashing that fit on the big bore shocks

RC poster
    also just to clarify the shocks and springs that I now have are brand new. I just put them on today. They are the traxxas 5862 big bore shocks. I filled the shocks to the correct level with the oil provided in the kit. I assumed that replacing the stock shocks that came on the 3706 with new big bore shocks would solve the problem but they did not. Currently I have two 8mm spacers on each rear shock just to level it out.

Could it be that the shocks I just bought have bad springs?

Like this...
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Champion
    the springs that come with the big bores are progressive rate springs. they are crap. any non progressive spring will help. non progressive meaning all the coils are evenly spaced not like the progressive ones that come with the big bores that will have more space between the coils in the middle of the spring and less space between the coils on the ends. traxxas has non progressive springs and losi has a great assortment.

RC poster
    thank you red.....i'll look up those non progressive springs asap

RC Champion
    your welcome. post a few pics of your set up. id like to see.

RC Enthusiast
    The only shocks I can use in the rear of my vxl bandit are aluminium adjustables ..... Anything else and its like a dog with worms in his bum :P imho its not the springs

RC Champion
    shocks do not control ride height. springs control height. unless there is binding in another suspension part that is keeping another part from moving then look at spring height and/or spacers. i check for binding by removing the shocks and moving everything by hand. my bandit and my old slash were at perfect height and handled smooth on the stock gray and black plastic shocks.

Maybe the A-arms are sagging. That could happen over time... those old a-arms should be nice and straight. If you do have to replace them, go with RPM or proline pro-trac.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...