RC Competitor

Embarrassed to be beaten by a Traxxas?

Ive heard a lot of people mention on here about other competitors being embarrassed when beaten by a Traxxas in competition?
    Why is this?
    Isn't Traxxas the "fastest name" in radio control? Or is it cos traxxas is rtr?

I went into my lhs recently and when I said what I had, his reply was "oh thats a big N American brand!" and conversation ended!
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    genaraly becuase traxxas is better

and they think that since they paid full price for a race kit that it shouldent be beat be a so called cheap rtr

this is what i can say so far but others will know the true reason/'s
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas are more built to be bashed more than raced. That's why if someone is beaten in a race by a basher truck with their race truck I guess it's embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    they think that since they paid full price for a race kit that it shouldent be beat be a so called cheap rtr

i agree. some high end manufacturers sell their kits for over $500 without anything, even there's no tires or wheels. and then their owners surprised that a moded E rustler sold for under $340 just easily beat their high cash car.

RC Qualifier
    Let me first of all say that I am currently racing a Traxxas at club level, and I've experienced the "beaten by a Traxxas" thing first hand

I really don't think it is the price thing, particularly given that in the UK some race kits can be had very cheap indeed. I'm not going to name any other manufacturers, but people are racing cars that are cheaper that what Traxxas offers. And doubly so when you factor in the extra effort and parts needed to make something like a Rustler, Bandit, or Slash competitive and race legal! Don't forget that the Velineon motor and Traxxas batteries are not BRCA legal. In fact, I had a conversation with a LHS owner and some guys at the club where I race and they pointed out the opposite, their opinion was that my Bandit was more costly than some of their race rigs and some of them were racing at regional level.

I think there's two things, firstly there's a little snobbery against RTRs from people who are used to building kits. I think there's a little merit to this. I bought my Traxxas as a kit back when they still offered kits, still to this day I think if you are going to be maintaining your RC car anyway, you might as well give yourself a head start and assemble it. I'd happily buy another Traxxas RTR, I love what they come up with... But step one for me would be a full disassembly.

Secondly there's the fact that even though Traxxas cars are great bashers, super toughly built, incredibly well supporter, etc... They in general are simply not racing material. It is a little like turning up to the WRC with a fully loaded Bentley. There's nothing wrong with a fully loaded Bentley... But it isn't exactly WRC material, horses for courses.
    Last edited by cunawarit; 08-29-2012 at 12:59 PM.

RC Competitor
    Cunawarit, it was your post that finally made me ask the question
    Why is the Velineon not allowed to compete?
    Rustler VXL

IMO it is stereo typing. The so called "race" brands have built their name by being heavily involved in racing while Traxxas has built their brand name by releasing different style of vehicles and what I see as innovations such as the RTR or out of the box brushless equipped, or trucks like the Summit which have no piers in the RC world. A good friend of mine once said "This hobby is so much monkey see monkey do" and I think he was right. Race monkeys go for the so called "race" brands and they get upset when someone steps outside of the stereo type and races a "basher's" brand like Traxxas and does well with it.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    A little over a month ago I raced the Cajun classic in amite la, I ran PRO4 SC only with my Durango, everyone else was losi or AE and just 1 slash 4x4 driven by Mike Battaile, awesome guy, He was running a SSC slash with a awesome setup and took 1st place. He also TQd and took 1st in 2WD with a slash. I was amazed. I believe everyone who was watching was stunned also.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SBjbABlb View Post
    Cunawarit, it was your post that finally made me ask the question
    Why is the Velineon not allowed to compete?
    This! Is the can to big ?
    1 Slash 3 Rustys & visits with my old P4de/SC8

RC Qualifier
    Ive never raced at a track before so if i buy a "race grade" RC and spend a lot of money on it will it allow me to place within the top 3 positions of every race?

My point is that the RC vehicle alone is not going to make anyone finish first in a race at the track. Isnt winning races partly due to the skill of the driver and little bit of luck? If you happen to get beat out by a RTR RC, maybe the other driver is just a better driver?

Food for thought...
    4WD MonsterMutt WPSC8:4Pole 3400kV | GOT DIRT?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by felixx4 View Post
    Ive never raced at a track before so if i buy a "race grade" RC and spend a lot of money on it will it allow me to place within the top 3 positions of every race?
    **** no!!! I've beaten B4.1s, a Cougar SV2, and a DEX 210... And the guy who is always fastest doesn't have one of those famous and expensive race cars, he is supported by an RC car manufacturer but it isn't one of those famous race brands (it is a bit of a budget brand) and he is still UNBELIEVABLY good and incredibly freaking fast. It doesn't matter if he is driving his buggy, his SC truck, or someone else's car, his lines are perfect, he is so incredibly precise it almost defies belief and makes everyone else at the track look REALLY really really really bad.

My point is that the RC vehicle alone is not going to make anyone finish first in a race at the track. Isnt winning races partly due to the skill of the driver and little bit of luck? If you happen to get beat out by a RTR RC, maybe the other driver is just a better driver?

Food for thought...
    I don't think this is much of a revelation at all, like any other competitive sport RC car racing is hard and it takes time and practise to get good. The bloke mentioned above has been racing for 17 years and over that time has honed his skills to a point that most club racers just cannot keep up with him at all (thankfully he mostly races SC trucks so I rarely come up against him on the track ).

It isn't all about being a better driver, like any sport that involves equipment good equipment plays a big part, you might be an awesome rower, but you aren't going to win the Henley Royal Regatta in a 50 inflatable boat... And BTW, I am not saying Traxxas sucks at racing all the time by pure freaking accident I've somehow setup my Bandit to be absolutely awesome in wet weather and that's when I find myself at the front of the field And by comparison to the top drivers at the club I am really not a great driver at all, what's making me lead then is equipment, Traxxas equipment

RC Champion
    i wish traxxas would bring back the srt or make a race tuned/inspired line of sc st and buggy
    ^even thought i havent know of the srt for some time)

but then again ...
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Qualifier
    its more the driver than the car if you're racing.
    Philippians 4:13

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    i wish traxxas would bring back the srt or make a race tuned/inspired line of sc st and buggy
    ^even thought i havent know of the srt for some time)
    Me too With the SC it wouldn't be that hard, the Slash and Slash 4x4s are already a good start, they need to ship them out with an LCG chassis, and something like an improved version of the ProLine tranny.

RC Racer
    If ya caint drive.... Money aint gonna help ya!

RC Champion
    My 2 cents worth. People are embarassed when beat by a traxxas car mainly because traxxas is considered a toy to most sponsored racers. Mugen, X-Ray, are top of the line race buggies. There is no Hop Up part available for those brands. So a Mugen against a Mugen is 95% skill, 5% luck. A Bone stock traxxas car can not compete against a "race car". BUT, Once you start modding a traxxas car and making them lighter. They become a great performer. EX, Slash 4x4. Out of the box it doesnt stand a chance. Add a LCG chassis, Some good tires/wheels, Tweek the suspension a little, and a few other changes it becomes a great competitor. So your taking a TOY and making it into a racer.
    So you have taken your $500 slash 4x4. Added another $300 or so to it. Now you have $800 wrapped up in it if not more. With a "race" car you would have about the same tied up, Maybe a little more. But you dont have a box full of unused parts.
    I guess to sum it up, Its snobery. With a traxxas car there is an advantage to having tons of hop ups. Mugen, X-Ray, AE, And OFNA, Hop ups are few and far between. Its almost an unfair advantage. I have had other cars in the past. But I will stick with my traxxas cars, All 7 of them. Race Legal, I dont know, And I dont care, I have fun racing against my buds, Beating the crap out of them without a care in the world. I know if I break something Im not gonna pay thru the nose for a part.
    I do wish traxxas would make a 4x4 nitro buggy. I would buy one in a split second. With the availability of parts and hop ups. A traxxas buggy would be hard to beat. But, They continue to market the toyish type cars. And we will continue to make them what they aint. And the PRO racers will continue to be embarrased by being beat buy a TOY. But a bone stock RTR beating a race type kit car. I would have to see it to believe it.

i think that the races that traxxas cars won at VS. other high ends racing cars are speed races, like doing one drag speed race or start-end points races, not competing in several rounds on track.
    also, i think that a skillful racer with any RTR will beat any Race buggy owner . it's as i said before.. it's all about the driver.

RC Champion
    its about both driver and car. like some people have said, you cant beat anything on the track with something you bought from wal mart.

RC Qualifier
    I just wanted to say that tonight the opposite happened, as a guy walked by the Bandit he did a double take and said "A Bandit! I haven't seen one in years!" then we got talking about racing the Bandit and then the conversation turned into how cool the TRX1 was back in the day

A couple of the younger kids there found it amusing, but hey

RC Champion
    nice. ya ive went into my lhs and seen someone get a few parts for a few traxxas vehicles but the only traxxas vehicle ive seen at the few tracks i go to are a few brushed slashs owned by kids.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by redlightrandy View Post
    nice. ya ive went into my lhs and seen someone get a few parts for a few traxxas vehicles but the only traxxas vehicle ive seen at the few tracks i go to are a few brushed slashs owned by kids.
    I've yet to see one! Even a Slash...

I think the universal impression is that Traxxas RCs are for noobs, so they are built like 4-wheeled tanks, heavy, unresponsive, and untunable. They are not supposed to do well on a track, certainly not well enough to win races against the tracks built specifically for racing.

I don't race, but I do run my trucks on the local track from time to time. My 4x4 Slash has a Bajr body, so it is hard to tell what is under the lid. I think I am more lucky than good, but my truck seems to be tune pretty well for this track and I am able to keep pace with the buggies and SCTs. It is common for another driver on the stand to ask me what truck I have, I tell them it is a 4x4 Stampede converted over to a Slash 4x4 the response for most is, "oh...". There is also the impression that one of those purpose built race trucks will beat a Traxxas RC with little to no practice, which always turns out kind of funny when you are running clean laps and the guy with the $1000 race truck is abusing the boards with it...

I do think there is a point were the Traxxas RC can't win, at least not anything close to it remaining stock. If you have a good driver and a tuned race truck, it will beat the Traxxas RC, they are just too heavy and not as nimble.

JMHO...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    makes sense scott but what ive noticed also is that other race trucks come stock with all the racing components already installed except for some kits that require the electronics. the money i spend on a race car i can spend on a traxxas. granted traxxas cars will probably still be heavier but can have all the fancy stuff a b4.1 has stock. your not wrong at all but im just saying that i can make my bandit with the same stuff the b4.1 has(well almost) and have spent similar money. at least i think so. at least in the end ill have a more durable buggy then everyone else that breaks theres at the track every time i go. lol.

RC Qualifier
    I think the legendary Traxxas durability may be true, at least from my own experience which obviously isn't statistically significant I've had a couple of huge crashes, specially last Friday, and I've seen race cars survive huge crashes too, but I've also seem them shatter Being fair to other manufacturers, it is hard to compare without knowing all the facts, some of them race cars are running 6.5T motors, and are carrying an extra 100g on my Bandit so obviously they could be crashing with a lot more force.

I'm not yet convinced the Bandit can be a truly competitive racer under a wide range of conditions, but I am happy to try What I will say is that I am convinced it isn't the impossible to race at club level buggy that some claim it is, people advised me and some told me that I would be totally frustrated and perennially last.

That hasn't been the case, I've had good days and bad days and I am pretty darn certain the car can still be improved a lot. I reckon that in an average club level field of 20 people, where the top 2 or 3 are at national level, the next 2 or 3 race at regional level, and the lower bunch are club rats of various skill levels if you have the skill (I don't yet) and with a bit of luck on your side you can make the A-Main regularly.

Notice I am not saying win the A-Main MAKE the A-Main.
    Last edited by cunawarit; 09-02-2012 at 04:01 PM.

RC Champion
    I honestly don't care what you call it, race truck, basher truck, whatever. There are different brands. Pick the one you like. Race, bash, do your thing, ect. It doesn't matter, they are really all the same thing when you get down to it, just some people prefer certain trucks for their own reasons.

IMO, the single biggest thing holding Traxxas 2wd's (Rustler, Bandit, Slash) back from competing with the other brands on a track is the wide front and rear bulks and narrow a-arms. Worst part is, there's no real way to update it. Compare a Rustler chassis to any other Losi, AE, Kyosho, etc. and notice the difference between front and rear inner hinge pins.

At one point, all brands had basically the same suspension dimensions. Problem is, the other brands re-designed their cars and started using smaller bulk heads and longer arms, while Traxxas is still using the same design from the days of the SRT, RC10T, LXT. They're still pretty much the same overall width these days, but the narrow bulk/ long arms gives much better geometry. If Traxxas would just offer a platform that has an updated suspension/ steering geometry, they would probably be much more track friendly without sacrificing the trademark Traxxas durability.