ways to keep engine temps down

while i know of heatsinks and fans but dose anyone know of any water cooled systems or other unique ways to cool the motor?

i'm getting a heatsink+fan for my motor soon but if there is a water cooled system id take that instead because it would probably keep it cooler

i found this but i dont know if it would work with the stock velineon:
    Hobby-King Liquid Cooling System For RC Cars with Self Circulating Pump And Radiator(google it)
    Last edited by broitsseth; 04-05-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    cool ain't cheap -Dan Dreger

RC Qualifier
    As evryone else here will tell you, heatsinks/fans/gadgets are just bandaids. The only tried and true ways to keep temps down are to adjust your gearing and run times. The stock system just runs hot. Many of us have switched to lower kv bigger can motors which run alot cooler. If you are absolutely dead set againt changing electronics then try heatsinks and fans, and maybe cut aout out your windshied to increase air flow. Dont even think about a dust cover.

i would get a better motor/esc but i am very limited on funds thats why a heat ink would be better for me

RC Qualifier
    If that is your only choice then go for a single fan heatsink like the integy or generic equivalent, a heatsink alone will not have a significant effect in my experience. I and other long time forum members have been using Hobbywing sc8wp esc and generic motors in the 2000-3000kv range with great success. You can get both for less than $100 and put your money toward the other upgrades you want. After spending some money on fans that didnt really help much i ended up upgrading anyway and wishing i hadnt wasted money on the bandaids.

alright i guess ill go with a new system seeing that heatsinks only are a band aid

Also very likely you have some bad bearings if everything else seems ok.

On 2S, stock gearing and tires, the motor should run cool enough to go basically continuously. Don't run your batteries low or run in grass either.
    razorrcblog.blogspot.com
    youtube.com/c/RazorRC

Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    Also very likely you have some bad bearings if everything else seems ok.

On 2S, stock gearing and tires, the motor should run cool enough to go basically continuously. Don't run your batteries low or run in grass either.
    Gearing for the battery you are using (voltage) is the #1 way to keep temps down. But, like Razor said, if you are still heating up, you have a problem that needs to be diagnosed.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I have had great success for years running 3s with the stock motor system. The stock gears do a pretty good job. I always have a heatsink with a fan on my motors.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    Gearing is definitely key, but what i do like about fans is that during rest periods, they help to cool the system down quicker so you can get the truck back out there!

ea after taking the truck apart one of the bearings would not spin so i ordered a new set of bearings i still wanna get a heatsink though what do you guys use and has anyone tried this?

https://www.amazon.com/*********-Mot.../dp/B00URCJKGG

^h obbyking^

Quote Originally Posted by broitsseth View Post
    ea after taking the truck apart one of the bearings would not spin so i ordered a new set of bearings i still wanna get a heatsink though what do you guys use and has anyone tried this?

^h obbyking^
    Nope... not gonna work. You need water to go through the pipe. And probably some sort of pump to push it through. Water cooled systems are only found on boats
    and RC pilots say RC cars can't fly!

As evryone else here will tell you, heatsinks/fans/gadgets are just bandaids. The only tried and true ways to keep temps down are to adjust your gearing and run times
    It does my old heart well to hear things like this. I also agree if your racing or just live somewhere hot a fan is a good thing to have around for breaks to cool things down as a hole but using a fan to your rig running cool is as stated "a bandaid".
    El Sob (probably one of the most respected members on the forms) always runs fans and when running a stock setup on 3s runs the rig a little easier they many of us do, he once stated he avoids full throttle starts.
    The biggest issue with fans 3s and the stock setup is most not all but most of these heat sink fans are not the greatest, you could be in the middle of a great bashing session when your fan gets jammed and will quickly over heat.
    Always carry a temp gun and do your best to keep your motor at or a bit below 160f if possible, at least for traxxas 3500kv velinions; some other manufactures say 180 but neodymium magnets start to demagnetize at around 170 and never get it back. Basically every time your motor gets over these temps it will loose a small amount of power, you may not notice it right away but by the time you do your motor is pretty well done in.
    Best of luck to you.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    It does my old heart well to hear things like this. I also agree if your racing or just live somewhere hot a fan is a good thing to have around for breaks to cool things down as a hole but using a fan to your rig running cool is as stated "a bandaid".
    El Sob (probably one of the most respected members on the forms) always runs fans and when running a stock setup on 3s runs the rig a little easier they many of us do, he once stated he avoids full throttle starts.
    The biggest issue with fans 3s and the stock setup is most not all but most of these heat sink fans are not the greatest, you could be in the middle of a great bashing session when your fan gets jammed and will quickly over heat.
    Always carry a temp gun and do your best to keep your motor at or a bit below 160f if possible, at least for traxxas 3500kv velinions; some other manufactures say 180 but neodymium magnets start to demagnetize at around 170 and never get it back. Basically every time your motor gets over these temps it will loose a small amount of power, you may not notice it right away but by the time you do your motor is pretty well done in.
    Best of luck to you.
    wow that a lot of good advice im not really looking to get a fan as a bandaid bt more to help cool the motor down in between runs. im a basher only and i bash hard so with summer coming up and the temperatures going up outside heat is becoming really my only problem because putting 2 batteries in a row through the truck isn't happening because after one battery it gets pretty hot and i have to wait for it to cool down

wow that a lot of good advice im not really looking to get a fan as a bandaid bt more to help cool the motor down in between runs. im a basher only and i bash hard so with summer coming up and the temperatures going up outside heat is becoming really my only problem because putting 2 batteries in a row through the truck isn't happening because after one battery it gets pretty hot and i have to wait for it to cool down
    Thanks but it was mostly repeating what the others have already suggest. keep a good eye on your temps and adjust your gearing accordingly and you should have good luck.
    In my personal opinion the stock setup was made for 2s as a hole. I would think of 3s as a speed only battery with the stock setup but this is just one man's opinion. My wife's pede still runs the old 2 pole vxl-3 setup on 2s and it has never missed a tick. I change the bearings out every season or more if needed but the motor performs just as they did years ago when it was purchased. Thats the only rc I have that still runs an entirely stock Traxxas stock setup but its never given me reason to change and the wife is more then happy with its performance.

Thanks but it was mostly repeating what the others have already suggest. keep a good eye on your temps and adjust your gearing accordingly and you should have good luck.
    i do watch the temps quite a bit during every run usually i dont let it hit lvd because it gets to hot for my likings first. also it probaly gets hot because of how much runtime it has i use this battery:
    https://acuelo.com/collections/6000m...universal-plug

RC Enthusiast
    Fans and heat sink make a major difference, there's a significant drop in temps

https://youtu.be/evVDgju7--0

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzybasher View Post

wow that's a pretty big difference that helps alot!

^h obbyking^
    ooops wrong link i just realized... i meant this:
    http://www.bigsquidrc.com/aeorc-self...mostat-system/
    Last edited by broitsseth; 04-10-2017 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzybasher View Post

Its only makes sense that a fan or heat sink will help dissipate heat, my personal point/opinion is you shouldn't need one.
    I haven't raced in years but I remember some guys had large fans in the pits to cool there rigs during down time between races. Problem is you get used to the fan and then it gets jammed while your bashing the tar out of your rig next thing you know your motors running at 220f.
    I run seven different rigs with several motor esc combos, most of the esc's come with fans that run when needed, not one of my motors has a fan but they all run around 140 to 150 all day long without having to worry about a fan getting jammed.
    At most a heat sink with some heat transferring compound should be more then efficient if your truck/car is geared and running the right battery voltage for the ambient temps.
    I do have a heat sink with Dow 340 compound between the motor on my wife's pede because when I run it it gets pushed a lot harder then she does. I can get it into to the 160 range but it stays there pretty well with 80 ambient temp at the most. Here in Michigan it rarely gets a lot hotter then that, I know the guys/gal's running in California and other hotter places have much hot ambient temps to deal with tho.
    i do watch the temps quite a bit during every run usually i dont let it hit lvd because it gets to hot for my likings first. also it probaly gets hot because of how much runtime it has i use this battery:
    https://acuelo.com/collections/6000m...universal-plug
    I have one 6500mah 2s and I understand what your saying and it sounds like your on the right track to keeping your setup running well for a long time. I cant really remember what is the highest temp your battery should ever get. I think it's around 100f but dont quote me on that, hopefully someone with knowledge on lipo's will chime in and give you a more accurate number, it may even be around 120f but I am not sure enough to say either way.
    I only run 2s in the wife's stock VXL-3 2 pole system and it does great for her, I myself like a bit more juice so run bigger motors with a 3s, 4s and 6s battery's.
    Hope you keep having plenty of fun.

Just for the record I'm not one to go for the cooler the better idea. My philosophy is more to keep my motor as close to 150 give or take 20 as I can.

RC Qualifier
    I cant really remember what is the highest temp your battery should ever get. I think it's around 100f but dont quote me on that, hopefully someone with knowledge on lipo's will chime in and give you a more accurate number, it may even be around 120f but I am not sure enough to say either way.

Just for the record I'm not one to go for the cooler the better idea. My philosophy is more to keep my motor as close to 150 give or take 20 as I can.
    I'm not an expert either, but I THINK the 100F for lipo batteries is what you should let the cool to before recharging, but I don't know about any max operating temps.
    Yesterday with my 3930kv motor running on 2S with my motor temp peaking at 153F the hottest I saw my battery get was 98F.