Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    RC Champion
    Glad to see your back. This is still my favorite build thread. You may have to refer back to your thread when you go to work on your sons Summit I could not get the video to work. It says that it is a private video.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    Glad to see your back. This is still my favorite build thread. You may have to refer back to your thread when you go to work on your sons Summit I could not get the video to work. It says that it is a private video.
    Thanks mate...his eyes glow when we talk about the Summit in the evenings at dinner. He can't wait for the weekend to come and tell me his dreaming about it already . Try the video now and see if it works.
    =====
    =====
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Wow for being 4 1/2 years old he does really well. I have a number of vehicles (Slash, Teton, Rally, Summit vxl etc.) that I let my grand kids (ages 5 to 13) run. I have found the large Summits are their favorite and they actually run them better than the other vehicles. Thank god for low speed and kid mode. Thanks for sharing.

Sweet. I need to get back in the hobby, too! Moved from flat Kansas to rugged New Mexico so once I put the trucks back together I should have some great terrain to play in!
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Champion
    Just stay away from Area 51 or the aliens are going to beam up your Summit. Haven't seen you around in a while. good to see your back. If you stay away to long, getting back into the Summits is like starting all over again.

Time to revive this old thread...the rig needs a total strip down, cleaned and needs to be rebuilt. I am gonna give it to my son for his birthday who turns 6 in 2 weeks.

Haven't wrenched in ages so it will probably take me a while to get my head around it...studying exploded views again too .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    Man im glad this thread got brought back! Alot of cool things i have learned reading this. Nice job on this whole thread mitch! My summit is almost compleately disassembled right now waiting on parts. Doing a full overhual. And i think im gonna try that rit dye as well. Nice job man.
    If it still moves, it aint broke enough!

RC Racer
    I've learn a lot from this post too ! Thanks Mitch for all the info

and your son is so lucky
    "souvent fauché toujours marteau !"

Quote Originally Posted by SummitBasher90 View Post
    Man im glad this thread got brought back! Alot of cool things i have learned reading this. Nice job on this whole thread mitch! My summit is almost compleately disassembled right now waiting on parts. Doing a full overhual. And i think im gonna try that rit dye as well. Nice job man.
    Sweet bro...let me know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I've learn a lot from this post too ! Thanks Mitch for all the info

and your son is so lucky
    Cheers mate...thanks!
    Rock n Rolla !

PROJECT : SUMMIT RE-BUILD 2016

It's been ages since I've wrenched...I wasn't sure where to been so long. Summit ready to get stripped, cleaned and rebuilt.
    =====

=====
    After tinkering around for some time I finally managed to strip it all down.
    =====

=====
    I'm gonna wash these parts and probably re-use most of it.

I will dremel and smooth off what I can for the little guy so his truck looks in good condition once re-built. I really don't want to be spending too much money on this project so will re-use all that I can.
    =====
    Last edited by MITCH316; 07-02-2016 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Rock n Rolla !

The hot glue technique I use seemed to hold up well...the diffs were held solidly in place, both front and rear.
    =====
    =====

=====
    =====

=====
    =====
    The diffs felt pretty good to me, I will open them for further inspection and clean and re-pack.
    Rock n Rolla !

Minor damage to the chassis and scratches. I will dremel and smooth off all scratches and re-dye the chassis. I like the scarlet red, it came out well.
    =====
    =====

=====
    =====

=====
    =====
    Rock n Rolla !

Here are some of the things damaged just from taking the Summit apart.

Arial plastic stick cover broken (can't remember what it's called, fortunately cheap to replace).
    =====
    =====

=====
    =====
    Partial heat sink from ESC missing as well as a shaving from ESC cable sheath.
    =====
    =====

=====
    =====
    Rock n Rolla !

I need to learn the names of all these parts again. The stub axles and pins have some minor wear...I will smooth the pins. I may run them on a belt sander to remove the lip created on them but I will re-use all of this if I can. The bearing weren't to bad either. I may clean them and re-grease.
    =====
    =====

=====
    =====

=====
    =====
    Rock n Rolla !

The driveshafts didn't show much wear except for the rubber boots that cover the splines...I think I'm gonna take them off and not replace them. With the way my son will be using the truck I think they should be OK without them.
    =====
    =====

=====
    =====
    Rock n Rolla !

The dust boot retainers seem to be ok but the retainers themselves are finished. I don't think I will replace these either. I'm pretty happy with how long the Summit lasted me from when I built it from scratch.

You can see bit of the hot glue here too, it was fairly easy to remove.
    =====
    =====
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    no more update ??

no more update ??
    Still at it mate! It's just gonna take a while as I don't have time like I used to wrenching these rigs. I had to wait for some parts to come from the States which they did this week.

I also dremeled the chassis and some other parts to remove scratches and smooth down removing some of the rough edges and also giving everything a good wash afterwards.
    Rock n Rolla !

I re-dyed the chassis after removing the scratches and sanding down with the dremel. It probably wasn't the best idea as it didn't come out that great. The sanded areas are a lot lighter than the rest of the chassis...good enough for my son as he will probably scratch the underside again.

Before been dyed just after sanding
    =====
    =====

=====
    =====
    After dyeing...the sanding left the chassis slightly rough and light patches where dyed
    =====
    =====
    Rock n Rolla !

I took the diffs apart today to inspect, clean and rebuild. I was surprised, the gears were in awesome condition...I wish the E-Revo gears were like that when I used to strip the diffs down to rebuild.

I'm gonna re-use them except for the diff cup.
    =====
    =====

=====
    =====
    The spider gears were in good condition too...the reason for replacing diff cups is because I had to change the differential fork, it was worn and not activating properly when trying to lock the diff fork as seen in the pic.
    =====
    =====

=====
    =====
    The parts replacement package...I replaced all parts as seen in the pic.
    =====
    =====
    Rock n Rolla !

The bearings too were not to bad a condition or worn so I decided to re-use them, and re-grease on the ones that were feeling a little rough.
    =====
    =====

=====
    =====
    I popped the bearing cap off with a thin blade to expose the ball bearing so I was able to grease.
    =====
    =====

=====
    =====
    I applied this Tamiya grease to one side only of the bearing as shown. I've had this and other RC grease lying around for ages. The idea behind this re-build was to use as much of the existing parts and spares I have lying around to thin out my stock collection as I don't bash my rigs as much as I used too.
    =====
    =====

=====
    =====
    Last edited by MITCH316; 07-23-2016 at 05:09 AM.
    Rock n Rolla !

After I re-greased the bearings that were feeling rough I re-built the diffs using the stock traxxas 100k diff lube that is for the Summit.

I did not shim the diff as it felt pretty good before striping down and just replaced the the TRA5681 parts. I re-built the diff my standard way as per usual.
    =====
    =====

=====
    =====

=====
    =====

=====
    =====
    When assembling the diff I tighten the ring gear one screw out to allow excess diff lube to escape.
    =====
    =====

=====
    =====
    I then greased the ring gear using Mobil 1 red grease and then proceeded to assemble the diff.
    =====
    =====

=====
    =====

=====
    =====
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    you will running the dewalt ??

you will running the dewalt ??
    Yeah mate, running the dealt again... It's easier for my son to handle.
    Rock n Rolla !

Finally got around to finishing this truck... I broke the rear diff locking servo which needs replacing. For now it's ok, my son is a happy little guy with his new toy.

=====
    =====

=====
    =====
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    Grate job man. Love the new body. Paint color is really nice!
    If it still moves, it aint broke enough!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456