Thread: "Newb"

RC Competitor

"Newb"

so am thinking of getting a slash 4x4 and was hoping u guys could give me heads up on what will be needed first, i plan on ordering the truck and a 3s lipo. what mah will fit that chassis? and will i be ok running 3s in stock form? people told me that i would be replacing all kinds of stuff when i got the mmm in my emax on 6s, but just recently broke my first center drive shaft after running it for a good 3months. maybe i dont bash as hard as others, idk. but i think if i could do it with the maxx i could possibly pull it of with the slash on 3s of course. Right? Am new to the Velineon combo so i dont know anything about it, what do you guys think? can it be run on 3s out of the box, w/o frying stuff. and as far as the other stuff such as a arms and stuff i plan on upgrading as i brake things with rpm. i just sold my stampede cuz i wasn't really digging it anymore with its monster like characteristics and just was not fast enough for me anymore. i had a castle1410 sct combo on 2s. Reason i choose the slash is durabilty,and it seems to me its very versatile. you could bash, take it to the track, set it up as a rally car, i even seen one set u for drifting. What do you guys think am i making the right choice? Thanks for all your help guys

I think you are making a great choice! I suggest getting a roller and putting a Castle system in it from the beginning. If you are going to run 3s the 2400 combination will be perfect for you! Welcome to the forum and soon the addiction
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    elsob, the addiction is already here! I wish i could build it up in that manner, i just dont have the funds to do it. i Plan on getting the RTR on easy pay thru tower. Do you think i would be ok with the Velineon on 3s? in stock forum

If you want it all at one time, no you can't beat Towers easy pay. If you wanted to get it part by part, you could. With the VXL system, I highly suggest putting a hole in the windshield and getting a heatsink with a single fan. Keep an eye on your motor temps and you will be fine. You might also want to get a set of Mip X-Duty axles.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    quick ? should the protrac be my first upgrade? the only thing that is pushing me away from the slash is roll over's, from what i have heard thats the slash's biggest down fall. is that correct

RC Competitor
    Installing the Traxxas sway bars is one of the best mods you can do. Before I installed the sway bars, I rolled my Slash 4X4 fairly often, even when running on standard Nimh batteries. After installing the sway bars I can run the Slash on a 3S Lipo at very high speeds with very few rollovers.
    Last edited by morrjr; 09-05-2012 at 11:46 AM.

RC Competitor
    What did u do to prep ur slash for 3s morrjr?

I'm putting together my Sl4sh Ultimate and it looks like I have everything I need to make it last. You might look at those rollers before you buy the RTR. You'll need to buy quite a list of items but it'll be worth it in the end.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by illest1989 View Post
    What did u do to prep ur slash for 3s morrjr?
    Besides adding the sway bars, I upgraded my standard Slash to Slash Ultimate configuration by adding the Traxxas aluminum caster blocks, steering knuckles, rear axle carriers, and slipper bearing adapter; exchanged the standard plastic shocks for Traxxas Big Bore shocks; changed out the standard plastic hexes to STRC aluminum hexes; added a Kings Headz motor mount; changed the A-arms, shock towers, and bumpers to RPM; and added a Traxxas fan to the ESC. I'm not a heavy basher, but if I were, I'm pretty sure my upgrades would be up to the task.
    Last edited by morrjr; 09-06-2012 at 10:01 AM.
    Slash 4X4 Ultimate with Novak 4.5T motor and ESC

RC Competitor
    So really all i need is the motor mount to handle 3s from stock form? whats the bearing adapter for? what exactly is its purpose . Hey thank you guys so much for all the opinions. I know 2s is probably fine, but after running my embe on 6s i know am gonna want a little more pep, so i might as well get it now. Thanks again guys for taking the time to answer some of my newb questions. O and should i get the traxxas sway bars or hot racing? does it make a difference, i like the hr's for its tune ability as they come w/the 3 tention bars. I think am getting a lil ahead of myself here let me stop now, and stick to getting the truck handling 3s
    Last edited by illest1989; 09-06-2012 at 10:23 AM.

RC Qualifier
    youll need axles. the stock ones last a few runs on 3s

RC Competitor
    Hey OG, building 1 would probably be the smart thing to do, but also takes patience, which i dont have. I just figure i get the RTR and upgrade it as i bash along. I know its stupid but am just so inpatient. It would drive me nuts having the truck and not being able to run it(even having the emaxx to run). plus i get the choice of brand,parts and colors doing it that way.I have seen some nice looking rollers on ebay, i just know myself and i would hate life having something i cant play with.(my wife still hides my x-mass presents, thats how impatient i am)

RC Competitor
    cool thanks cinnabun, i just saw a thread on how to mod the drive shafts with the steel yokes on each end. maybe ill give that a run cuz i sure as heck dont have money for mip's right now.

RC Qualifier
    besides the axles, my truck is running great on 3s. I have not done the motor mount or bearing adapter upgrades yet, however I plan on it.

RC poster
    I've been running my slash on 3S lipos for a while now, bone stock except for tires with no problems. Throttle control is the key.

RC Competitor
    ahh yes!!! thats what i was looking for sd401k, obviously upgrades would be good but it can handle 3s out of the box. its not like its gonna fall apart like something out of cartoons(one wheel this way other wheel that way and the truck is up in smoke) Thanks bud!

RC Competitor
    ahh yes!!! thats what i was looking for sd401k&cinnabun, obviously upgrades would be good but it can handle 3s out of the box. its not like its gonna fall apart like something out of cartoons(one wheel this way other wheel that way and the truck is up in smoke) Thanks bud!

Quote Originally Posted by illest1989 View Post
    Hey OG, building 1 would probably be the smart thing to do, but also takes patience, which i dont have. I just figure i get the RTR and upgrade it as i bash along. I know its stupid but am just so inpatient. It would drive me nuts having the truck and not being able to run it(even having the emaxx to run). plus i get the choice of brand,parts and colors doing it that way.I have seen some nice looking rollers on ebay, i just know myself and i would hate life having something i cant play with.(my wife still hides my x-mass presents, thats how impatient i am)
    I see your point. I'm ready to run my Sl4sh but I still don't have a motor for it...

Sent from Tapatalk version 3.14159265359
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...