RC Racer

What charger do you recommend?

Summit is on it's way and I realized that it doesn't come with a charger. I'd like your recommendations on a charger that will work and will do Lipos (should I get them in the future). Thanks for all your suggestions.

RC poster
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

Great charger,comes with several different plugs,gives you all the info you need while charging(total mah as well as displaying each cell's voltage,).
    I've been using one for about 6 mo and am very happy with the charger.
    Might also check out the lipo's there,i'm running Gens Ace 3s 4000 in an E maxx,works great for my needs.http://www.hobbypartz.com/gensace25c1.html

get a really good charger the first time something that will charge with high amps like dynamite ultra passport 8amps max at amainhobbies, Icharger 106B, Icharger 206B both require power supply units and can be bought with them from either epbuddy.com or progressiverc.com. this is the route i should have went but due to $$$ i didnt but now i am after my ac6 is on the fritz.
    Living life.

Like I posted in your other thread:
    Check out this thread for ideas:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...charging-setup

There is lots of great advise in your other thread and the "post your charging setup" link.

So, I guess the real question is how much can you afford?
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Get the thunder, but you need to buy a traxxas connector banana lead for it, that's the only plug it doesn't have weirdly
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

Quote Originally Posted by Truck'n fly View Post

Great charger,comes with several different plugs,gives you all the info you need while charging(total mah as well as displaying each cell's voltage,).
    Might also check out the lipo's there,i'm running Gens Ace 3s 4000 in an E maxx,works great for my needs.http://www.hobbypartz.com/gensace25c1.html
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasSummitCrawler View Post
    Get the thunder, but you need to buy a traxxas connector banana lead for it, that's the only plug it doesn't have weirdly
    Great charger? I'd consider it a barely adequate charger with suspect balancing accuracy and even more suspect overall build quality. It is one of the chargers that inspired me to coin the phrase "$50 battery cooker."
    There are many better options out there for not much more money. The iCharger line comes to mind as does some of the cheaper Hyperion EOS models.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck'n fly View Post

Those 3s lipo's wont work in a stock summit. max 2 x 2s .

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Great charger? I'd consider it a barely adequate charger with suspect balancing accuracy and even more suspect overall build quality. It is one of the chargers that inspired me to coin the phrase "$50 battery cooker."
    There are many better options out there for not much more money. The iCharger line comes to mind as does some of the cheaper Hyperion EOS models.
    If I fry my batteries, I swear to god someone's getting sued! Haha jk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Like I posted in your other thread:
    Check out this thread for ideas:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...charging-setup

There is lots of great advise in your other thread and the "post your charging setup" link.

So, I guess the real question is how much can you afford?
    how does the Dura Trax Onix 250 compare to the one you mentioned , it's a bit less $. Would I be sorry?

thanks for your recommendations guys!!
    Last edited by 04zrx; 09-12-2012 at 06:29 AM.

I cannot seem to find any specs for a "250"??

Let me do some math for you...

A common Traxxas battery for the Summit is their 7600's. I will use this battery in the following examples:

The Thunder charger linked above would charge 2 2S 7600mAh LiPo's in about 134 minutes...
    that's 2 hours 14 minutes from dead to full.

An iCharger 206B will do the exact same task, probably even safer, in about 33 minutes...
    that's 1 hour and 41 minutes quicker.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If I fry my batteries, I swear to god someone's getting sued! Haha jk
    WOW! Even if it is a joke, WOW!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    I cannot seem to find any specs for a "250"??

Let me do some math for you...

A common Traxxas battery for the Summit is their 7600's. I will use this battery in the following examples:

The Thunder charger linked above would charge 2 2S 7600mAh LiPo's in about 134 minutes...
    that's 2 hours 14 minutes from dead to full.

An iCharger 206B will do the exact same task, probably even safer, in about 33 minutes...
    that's 1 hour and 41 minutes quicker.
    Basically you get what you pay for, 40 bucks for the thunder at a slow charge rate or 130 bucks for a charger with a fast rate of charge. You'd have to decide if you wanna pay tons for a charger or not

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Basically you get what you pay for, 40 bucks for the thunder at a slow charge rate or 130 bucks for a charger with a fast rate of charge. You'd have to decide if you wanna pay tons for a charger or not
    But it is far more than just differences in charge times, more importantly there is charger accuracy and overall safety as KSB alluded to.

RC Competitor
    I have a Hitec X4 Plus. It's about $220 but you can charge up 4 batteries at once. Best charger I've had.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    I have an iCharge 208b and I charge (2) 2S 8200mAh batteries at one (1) amp in an hour. As Mr. Neutron said ^ it could be done in about half the time if wanted/needed but I keep the charger backed down to 16.4 amps for these batts. I think it is able to charge up to 20 amps?

After you figure out what charger to buy, you can then start worrying about a power supply......LOL!
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

RC Qualifier
    ^ ^ + at NitroGuyI have the same one with the built in power supply. For the money you cant beat it. I ordered all balance boards on ebay and made up 3 extra traxxas connectors to plug in. It will charge up to 4 6s batteries and do it in a quick maner if you choose to do so. Its up to you how many amps to charge at.....
    SUMMIT,P4DE,MERV

basic rules, get one with good watts.
    I bought a decent 50W as my first charger. Good brand name charger, but not powerful enough for my new lipos or higher mah. So instead of wasting money I'm going all in for a power lab. That should last me a long time and better for the helicopters i'm going to try.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC Racer
    thanks for the ideas. I don't have unlimited funds for a charger, and I'd like to stay simple and NOT a separate power supply. I like the self contained "all in one" chargers, but I'm big on Quality I don't like buying junk!
    I'll keep researching chargers but what makes a good charger I don't really know what it all means.
    Last edited by 04zrx; 09-12-2012 at 07:15 PM.

Just to let you know...
    I searched for a high quality all-inclusive charger for 8 months before I realized they simply don't make them... at least not affordably. During my search I found and then bought the iCharger 206B I have now. Basically, if it is a top of the line charger; the power supply is separate... but PS's can be bought and built very cheaply... I built mine for about $30.

I just built this power supply last night
    To power my Icharger 106b that's on the way

It was not hard to do.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Maybe it was a mistake but this is what I ordered w/the dual charge adapter for $100. It will allegedly charge two 2s batteries at up to 6 amps. http://traxxas.com/products/parts/ch...hargerplus6amp

206B or powerlab 6 all the way now thats what i should have went before but now i am worth every penny and safer than the cheaper chargers i hear.
    Living life.

RC Racer
    thanks everyone! Guess I'll get the iCharger 206B and a power supply.

I was kinda wondering what all the different info on the chargers does mean: ex: power amps, input voltage, lipo cell.... I've read that some chargers are quick,others will charge multipal batteries at once, discharge, will ballance.. I don't know what this charger will do for me. Any imput is much appreciated and do I need anything like other plugs or anything??

Thanks again for everyone's help, in a few years I might be able to actually return the favor .....

thanks again everyone.

RC Qualifier
    So will just any old pc power supply work? Are there certain requirements I need to look for?

I have an onyx245 it does ok but figure I could do better. Would there be anything to gain by getting an i-charger over what I already have? I know 5A isn't high by a lot of chargers standards.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

more watts the better both power supply and charger. I was going to do the pc power supply but there is too many threads and was starting to confuse me. I use the one of the playstation 3 power supplies, I've seen an xbox 360 supply used also.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

Two Server Power Supplies in Series...1068 Watts of 24 Volt Goodness:

I did two of these for a total cost on about $70. If you don't want to do this much work and 12V/40+A/500W is good enough*, you only need to solder on the output(s) and set the jumpers. Done. These are dirt-cheap {used} on eBay.

*Most chargers will only let you go to 400W-500W on a 12V input.

Quote Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
    So will just any old pc power supply work? Are there certain requirements I need to look for?
    Unless you are sticking around a 10 amp charger, PC supplies are not up to the task.... go for a retired server power supply as KSB mentioned. They are more powerful and robust than standard PC supplies... usually cheaper too.
    If you do not want to convert your own, check out feathermerchantRC. He sells them ready to go... there also is a few sites that I know of that sell combo's; ProgressiveRC and EPBuddy. I have dealt with EPBuddy in the past; nothing but great customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by 04zrx View Post
    thanks everyone! Guess I'll get the iCharger 206B and a power supply.

I was kinda wondering what all the different info on the chargers does mean: ex: power amps, input voltage, lipo cell.... I've read that some chargers are quick,others will charge multipal batteries at once, discharge, will ballance.. I don't know what this charger will do for me. Any imput is much appreciated and do I need anything like other plugs or anything??

Thanks again for everyone's help, in a few years I might be able to actually return the favor .....

thanks again everyone.
    The 206 is what I have... I am very pleased with it, I am sure you will be too!
    Any half-decent charger can charge multiple LiPo batteries at once... either one of those sites I mentioned above have what is called a ParaBoard. This device will allow you to charge up to 6 same cell count LiPo's in parallel as long as they are of a similar discharge state.
    With a ParaBoard, iCharger, and a Power Supply; you will be ready to charge!

I should have added I will not be charging above 10 amps with this setup
    Next server supply.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    I should have added I will not be charging above 10 amps with this setup
    Next server supply.

Sent using lipo power
    You KNOW you want a PSU that can put up graphs like this:

Notice "Supply Voltage" and "Output" values at lower left of the "Charging" window.

Yes that would do it I think...lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    so what Para board do I need? what plugs will I have? Again "thanks"

I see they make a Traxxas one now...

http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...h-traxxas.html

I see they make a Traxxas one now...

http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...h-traxxas.html
    I like that new traxxas paraboard they made thats what i am going to get when i order my Icharger soon.
    Living life.

RC Racer
    I got a free Para board!!!I purchased at Progressive RC, should see it in a few days....

Quote Originally Posted by 04zrx View Post
    I got a free Para board!!!I purchased at Progressive RC, should see it in a few days....
    now that is nice cant wait to order mine
    Living life.

RC Enthusiast
    I use the iMax B6. You can get them for $19 and another $11 for the AC power adapter.
    Best charger I have ever owned.