RC Racer

icharger 206B and NiMh batteries

so I got the Summit yesterday, and I got my charger..... So there is no plug for the Traxxas batteries (I guess I knew that was going to happen) with there own plug. My question is after I get some plugs to make a plug for my batteries can I charge both batteries at once and if so what setting should I be using? Last night I just charged the batteries by jamming the open clips in the plug of the batteries and set it to 4amps then 45 min later I had a charged batt.

for now at least, I'll be using the stock batteries. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    It is my understanding that you cannot parallel charge NiMh batteries........well you can but it will fry them.

I have the 208b and four (4) Traxxas NiMh batteries for my son's eMaxx and I charge them one at a time.....oh yah it stinks. It takes ~ 4 hours to charge them all because I refuse to charge faster than 3 amps to help preserve the life of the batts.

If anyone has any secrets I would love to know too?
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

It is not good to try and charge multi nimh.there is no way for the charger to monitor cell voltage so over charging individual cells is a real and distinct possibility.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Yah what jamann said ^. That’s what I was trying to say?!?!? Just in a different language? LOL

I need to get off the ole' pocket book and buy a couple LiPo's for the boy. It took me 4 hours to charge his batt's and an hour to charge my two. He went through both set's (4 batt's) in about 30 minutes and I was still playing. HOWEVER, when little man's fun ends, so does mine!!!!!!!! LOL

Yeah, LiPo can be charged in multiples, but not NiMh.
    Two very different chemistries... setups... ect.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Thanks guys I'll be getting some lipos soon so the fun can continue longer faster....

Quote Originally Posted by 04zrx View Post
    Thanks guys I'll be getting some lipos soon so the fun can continue longer faster....
    It makes a great truck...
    Even more fun...I know hard to believe !!
    With 5000 mah lipo In low gear crawling I get a hour or more per set.8200 mah
    2+ is reported.couple sets of those,
    Pack a lunch your gonna be running for a while

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    could someone possibly give me a QUICK understanding of what /how lipos work ? I mean more power longer run time.... 2s, 3s, 4s... what do I want? 5000mh 6000mh ??? what does it all mean, Thanks guys for helping me get a grasp of this stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Around here you will hear the "S" term used differently……..some people will say 2S or 3S and others will say 4S or 6S…..then you have the occasional 5S. The Summit/ERBE use two (2) batteries, either (2) 2S for a total of 4S or (2) 3S for a total of 6S, and then as I said that occasional 5S which is a 2S & 3S.

A single 2S = 7.4 volts and a single 3S = 11.1 volts. Basically the bigger the “S” the more the power.

Now for the “but why” part. The “S” stands for the # of cells…….2S = 2 Cells and so on. But then you also have the “C” rating……this is the “but why” part, since "S" measn "Cells". However, the C rating of the battery is based on its capacity and is defined as the Maximum Continuous Discharge Rate.

The mAh is milliamps.....or the battery's size. The bigger the mAh the longer your run time.

To determine how much current your LiPo’s will produce, simply multiply the C rating by the mah capacity & divide by 1000, for example: 20c x 5000mah / 1000 = 100amps, or 40c x 5000mah / 1000 = 200amps.

For best results the LiPo’s should be of identical specifications & age/ discharges.
    Last edited by BlackSheep800; 09-19-2012 at 08:56 AM.

RC Racer
    cool, so in terms of Lipos bigger is better?

Some of the biggest that will fit are spc 2s 8200 mah.manygood reports on them

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

2S is actually 8.4v fully charged.
    3S is 12.6v fully charged.

Basically, take the "S" number and multiply it by 4.2.
    4.2 is the cell voltage of a fully charged LiPo, the "S" is for cells in series within the pack.

Running in series doubles voltage, but mAh and available amp delivery remain the same.

Running in parallel doubles mAh and available amp delivery, but voltage remains the same.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Thank you Jimmy........I knew somthing wasnt adding up because I knew I charged at 16.8 (8.4 x 2). LOL

RC Racer
    thanks guys SPC 2S 8200 Lipos are on there way!!

Those are my Summit faves.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °