RC Racer

i need some help with chainging gear pitches

i am wanting to change my gearing pitch from the stock 48 i think it is to the 32 pitch system. i am wondering am i gonna be able to run this pitch of gears in the sand without a cover cause im tired of stripping out the gear covers holes in the tranny. unless i go aluminum. but i am asking if 32 pitch gears can be run in sand with out stripping gears constantly.

RC Champion
    Yes. If you want to go more insane, use mod 1 pitch. Huge teeth.

Samsung Epic - Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    You have exactly the right idea. 32 pitch, no gear cover = perfect set up for sand. 56/12 might be a good combo to start with. That's a 12.69 ratio.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Racer
    ok so 32 pitch starting at 56/12. atleast i wont have to worry about sand destroying spurs now. should i get metal spur gears instead of plastic or should i leave them plastic as a failsafe point.

Stick with plastic. Here is some info: Buy one 32p Jato spur TRA3956, and matching mod 0.8 pinions: 12t TRA3942, 13t TRA3943, 14t TRA3944, 15t TRA3945, or 16t TRA3946. I usually run a 14 or 15t pinion with the velineon on the street.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    i plan on running in the sand often and will a jato spur withstand sand without a gear cover and why should i not go with those metal. im just gonna go with the robinson racing slipper set up. unless the jato plastic spur will withstand sand with no gear cover.

RC Champion
    The metal spur will destroy your pinion and then the spur. They are also loud and more expensive.

Samsung Epic - Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Racer
    ok but will the plastic jato spur hold up to sand without a gear cover. thats what im trying to find out here!

maybe you could seal up the gear cover with a little silicone gasket material and cover the hole really well and give it a try.

RC Qualifier
    Yes plastic spur/ no gear cover is a preferred method. The sand just gets kicked away without a cover to trap it in. That's how I roll!

Anyways, the gear cover won't fit with 32p gears due to the spurs being flat and not concave. Some have figured out how to make it fit, but I don't think it's worth the trouble.
    Last edited by snicklefritz; 09-26-2012 at 08:37 PM.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Competitor
    what is the point of the gear cover then?

RC Qualifier
    Keeps turn marshal's fingers from getting all chewed up. Seriously, I would have to dump out the sand after each battery when I ran with the cover on. And that was with sealing the stock cover and then using the RPM cover. I was going through 48p gears like they were going out of style.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote Originally Posted by lemansfanatic View Post
    what is the point of the gear cover then?
    Best I can figure it's for safety because they come with a hole in the bottom. The Losi covers do a better job of sealing up but won't fit the traxxas so maybe they're intended to keep dirt and junk out.

RC Racer
    well if i go to 32 pitch i wont run a gear cover and the rules where i race says nothing about me having to have a gear cover. but what gear ratio is closest to a 23 86 48 pitch on a slash. i want to stay close as i can to that combo with 32 pitch. its weird i didnot think that 32 pitch gears with no cover works just as well in the sand as a sealed 48 pitch gears.

RC Qualifier
    86/23=3.74 X 2.72=10.17
    for 32p:
    58/14=4.14 X 2.72=11.26
    56/14=4.0 X 2.72=10.88
    54/14=3.86 X 2.72=10.50
    That's pretty close. But keep in mind that the sand soaks up power and that's gonna heat up your motor right quick with that ratio. I'd pick up a 12 tooth pinion as well for the sand, then check your temps till you find a ratio that works. 58/12=13.14 and 56/12=12.69.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Competitor
    safety for spectators getting pummeled with things shooting out of the gears? I still don't understand the point of having a gear cover if it doesn't keep dirt out... Unless snicklefritz is right and they are purely for the marshall's fingers, that makes sense, but if I'm just bashing I might not bother with this stupid gear cover anymore.

I think its more of a consumer liability issue. Someone somewhere probable got their finger stuck in the gears and now all manufacturers use covers.

FWIW I don't use them on any of my trucks, and haven't for years.

RC Enthusiast
    I cut two covers to make one. Little drywall tape and some shoo goo, sealed and clean after every race. It ain't pretty, but it works.

RC Racer
    i am planning going to 32 pitch gears cause im sick and tired of chewing the stock spurs up. i ate through 2 more today. well its just gonna sit till i get a set of 32 pitch gears. plus i have not heard of any rules for racing that you need gear covers. where i am at the recommend using gloves for turn marshals. its indoor so electric only but gloves save your hand often here. and the gears seem more tough. the traxxas jaot runs 32 pitch gears right. actually i think the gears im gonna get are jato spurs. and my jato has seen alot of dunes too.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by snicklefritz View Post
    86/23=3.74 X 2.72=10.17
    for 32p:
    58/14=4.14 X 2.72=11.26
    56/14=4.0 X 2.72=10.88
    54/14=3.86 X 2.72=10.50
    That's pretty close. But keep in mind that the sand soaks up power and that's gonna heat up your motor right quick with that ratio. I'd pick up a 12 tooth pinion as well for the sand, then check your temps till you find a ratio that works. 58/12=13.14 and 56/12=12.69.
    thanks for the help for normal running im gonna start with the 54/14 ratio and get both pinions and spurs of different sizes for testing. also how did you figure out what numbers came from the gear teeth? so i can do some ratio comparing of my own.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jato_builder View Post
    thanks for the help for normal running im gonna start with the 54/14 ratio and get both pinions and spurs of different sizes for testing. also how did you figure out what numbers came from the gear teeth? so i can do some ratio comparing of my own.
    No problemo. The formula is in the owners manual. The manual has a table that shows your ratio for 48p gearing, but it also tells you the formula: spur / pinon x 2.72 = final gear ratio

Here's the manual: http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...120213-R01.pdf

The gear chart is on page 22.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Qualifier
    Reviving an old thread for a quick question on this. When converting the gears is it necessary to also chang the slipper over or will the current one work?
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it