RC Enthusiast

New guy, New busted Slash, lol

Hey all, Just bought a Slash 4x4 last week, and have been having a blast... when it's not breaking, lol. I really could care less, that just gives me an excuse to buy bigger and better parts I guess my concern is, did I fall in to a truck that's just prone to breaking small bits, or is it typical? I would have thought coming from Traxxas, and watching/reading some pretty good reviews about it, it would be able to take a little abuse. The strangest thing that happened was the top of a shock blowing off when landing a small jump, it didn't strip threads or anything, and fits back together, just fine without leaking fluids, I just find it odd.

I've already replaced the front A-Arms with RPM arms from busting one in a perfect line when I hit a tree stump that was hiding under some leaves. I have Pro-Line shocks on order now (along with the optional spring kits), rear A-Arms, axle carriers... or whatever they're technically called, and some other stronger bits. Hopefully I'll get to the point that I'll be able to run this thing to where something won't go wrong.

Sorry for rambling, Just wanted to say what's up, and hope to be more interactive than just surfing through looking for answers to the great number of questions I've had over the past few days of owning this thing, lol. It sure is fun though

If anyone has extra tips, tricks or advice, I'm open for anything

RC Qualifier
    you pretty much have ordered the first parts that usually break. i personally love my slash. its held for me pretty good. and im hard on it
    slash 4x4 and a blast on steroids

Sorry for rambling
    Welcome to the fourm, and the Slash 4x4! Don't worry about rambling, most of us do that. Mke sure you keep the slipper clutch area free of dirt, that seems to be a trouble prone area. If you have any more questions, just ask! We are here to help!
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC Qualifier
    Blowing off the shock caps is a normal thing for the stock shock bodies and cap. Replace the caps with aluminum and you'll be set, or buy some aftermarket shocks (big bore, proline, d8, 10t)
    Sl4sh mmp2400 - savage flux hp XL - vorza flux hp

RC Qualifier
    i have been driving my sl4sh for a year or two now, i give it more abuse than i give any of my other rc's combined- and one, only one part has ever broken. This part was broken yesterday, and it was because my emaxx slammed straight into the side of the slash and broke a axle carrier
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

i have been driving my sl4sh for a year or two now, i give it more abuse than i give any of my other rc's combined- and one, only one part has ever broken. This part was broken yesterday, and it was because my emaxx slammed straight into the side of the slash and broke a axle carrier
    Did you by chance get that on video? Sorry for your misfortine, it sucks having to replace part, but it REALLY sucks when the damage is from another rc hitting it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Did you by chance get that on video? Sorry for your misfortine, it sucks having to replace part, but it REALLY sucks when the damage is from another rc hitting it.
    The emaxx probably broke a bulkhead too

The emaxx probably broke a bulkhead too
    LOLOLOLOL! Why does it seem the E-Maxx break there bulkheads so much? Guess it's just a weak part. Anyway back to the topic...

RC Enthusiast
    Well, I am an R/C newb, so more questions are likely to come, lol... especially after some of these suspension parts come in and I start bothering everyone for advice on good combinations, lol.

Sent from my Google powered personal data extraction device

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    LOLOLOLOL! Why does it seem the E-Maxx break there bulkheads so much? Guess it's just a weak part. Anyway back to the topic...
    Serious weak point. Between arms and bulkheads

RC poster
    haha I too am a new owner to the slash, and it has turned into quite the money pit! But I believe once we get over the hump of replacing the parts you mentioned we should be good to go! I recently bought the big bore shocks and the king headz motor mount (after noticing my bearing and stock mount melted and my spur gear stripped). They are a lot of fun! Who ever said this was a cheap hobby lol

RC Qualifier
    no damage done to the emaxx, after the first bulk incident i have upgraded to stronger plastic bulks, and just in case those break i have golden horizon bulks sitting on the shelf lol... the accident was accidental (haha- slight pun intended there), the emaxx popped up a wheelie while my buddy turned my slash arround, i slammed on the brakes and turned, but my attempt was futile, smacked right into the slash.
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

The Slash Ultimate is the way to go if you are going to get one. It already comes with the aluminum parts that nreak on the standard model. I have both and on the Ultimate I have only broken one part since I got it in February. On the standard model I have replaced a whole lot of parts.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    The Slash Ultimate is the way to go if you are going to get one. It already comes with the aluminum parts that nreak on the standard model. I have both and on the Ultimate I have only broken one part since I got it in February. On the standard model I have replaced a whole lot of parts.
    Yeah, but nobody in the area had one, and I didn't want to wait, lol. If I wanted to wait for my new toy, I would have got the e-revo

You will hage the equivalent of the Ultimate soon the way parts keep breaking
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    You will hage the equivalent of the Ultimate soon the way parts keep breaking
    Exactly, it'll work itself out in the end

Last edited by Dadx2mj; 10-29-2012 at 01:37 PM.

RC Qualifier
    There is that initial hump of buying parts but they come less necessary as time goes on. I say less necessary because it turns to desire!! Replace with better parts, and continue on!! Save undamaged parts for use when waiting on replacements!!

Mezzio - you have discovered the true art of RC!!! WELCOME!!!
    "RED"

RC Competitor
    welcome to the forum! alot of great people on here that are reallly helpful and on a side note after u upgrad your truck thats when you can bash it as hard as you want.

RC Qualifier
    You will probably find yourself wanting to replace the stock motor/esc for more power and speed hehe. After a few more upgrades its a pretty darn tough truck. At first I broke the stock shock caps regularly until I put in some HR big bores. I also added rpm front a-arms. Then I wanted more power and speed, so I put in the castle 2650/mm combo along with mip's, aluminum slipper pads, and a rollcage. Now I beat the snot out of that truck and just dust it and it keeps going.
    Sl4sh 2650/MM
    Erevo

RC Racer
    I like the design and capabilities of the slash 4x4 but this rc is so far from ready to bash or race that it takes close to $400 dollars to have this thing be somewhat reliable.

I know that this upsets people on here but it's the truth.

On my first slash I spent $1100 to get it to where I could run it on grass without overheating and not bending a shock or breaking an a-arm etc...

After 3 traxxas cars I decided to try a different brand and I'm so glad I did. The total cost for a top of the line 1/8 buggy with a tekin rx8/1900 system, savox servo and traxxas radio and transmitter was $840. In the last 7 months I've bashed harder than I ever dared on my slashes or rustlers and I have only lost one $1.29 pin because I didn't put thread locker on the grub screw.

I have a skate park half a block away I've taken my buggy almost every weekend for the last 4 months and have not broken one part. My slash has been there 4 times and has never lasted more that 5 minutes, sometimes on the first jump it is over.

I thought, like a lot of other people, that breaking lots of parts was just a part of the hobby but after trying something different I found it doesn't have to be.

RC Champion
    I think you just had bad luck or bad driving, no offence. But I've had my 4x4 now for 2 year's and have only broken 1 front a arm from hitting a rock. And I'd like to know what "top of the line" 1/8 buggy you bought with the tekin combo servo and radio for $840.00. Top of the line is like a Losi, AE, along those line's, not Redcat or something like that.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Racer
    It's a mugen if you really want to know.

RC Racer
    $420 for the kit, tekin rx8/1900 for $270 (tower discount/ free shipping), savox 1256t $53, big block tire and wheels $25, traxxas radio and receiver $50. I picked up the radio, tires and wheels and servo on eBay all new and with shipping included.

If you have only broken one a-arm you must be driving on 2s in a padded room. I've broken an a-arm (and stripped a hex) doing laps around a baseball diamond.

RC Champion
    Castle 2400 and nothing but 4s. Okay so I stripped a wheel hex or 2 but that was mechanic error. Still.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*