Upgrades or Better Parts?

Hello everyone, *waves hello* since I've talked 3 of my friends into getting rc cars for christmas, the won't stop talking about them. Friend #1 is getting a 1/16 E-revo VXL, friend #2 is getting a yellow 1/16Summit VXL, and friend #3 is getting a blue 1/16 Summit VXL. They keep talking about what upgrades they should get, so they turn to me. I really don't know too much about 1/16 Traxxas's, so I need help. They each only want to get good, cheap (as in price) upgrades, so no lipos, or fancy radios, and big block brushless motors. I reconmend getting the GTR shocks, (becuase the stock ones can leak, right?) some aluminum axle carriers, (which brand is best?) bearings for the rockers, and sterring bellcrank, a spare nimh battery, a series conector, a decent nimh charger, and some adjustable tie rods. Do you really have to spend $25 to get the Traxxas ones? Is there any other options? And, is there any thing else I should add? Their budgets are about $100 each. Thanks guys!
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would check out hr shock bodies screw on cap not snap on,Traxxas aluminum toe links are the best others will bend. Stainless steel would be a good option
    I have the gh carries they work great but the first upgrade for the revo would be rpm a arms
    Last edited by 50togo; 10-30-2012 at 06:28 PM.

a good nimh charger is the onyx 100. also a bluebird 390 servo is a really good replacement for the awful stock servos. i also have steel hallow balls to help with slop. the stock 1200 mah battery is good but i also have the duratrax 1600 battery. it is the same price as stock but it has higher capacity. it doesn't seem to be as powerful though. and if they want brushed motors they better go with brushless anyways. i blew 3 brushed motors in about a month. if you want a nimh charger i can sell you my old one. its an onyx 100.

RC Qualifier
    Here's the list I'd tell them
    1. Steel hollow balls - stock are plastic and allow a lot of slop in the suspension and steering
    2. GPM knuckles - stock ones are usually one of the first things to go and they allow slop since you can't adjust them( unless you get the new alum caps traxxas put out, still get GPM or gh)
    3. RPM a arms - sumit friends will have to use Revo arms (rear summit arm is swept back slightly compared to the rear Revo arms, it won't look funny with rpm)
    4. Diff shims - many 1/16 will strip the did if you don't shim them, some don't need shims but most do. I'd get 3 packs of shims per mini that needs shimming, they're cheap and it's good to have extra for reshimming.
    5. Hr shock bodies - bottom screw cap won't pop of like the stock snap cap, use the seals from the stock shock bodies in the hr bodies.
    6. Shock & diff oils (I use 70wt for shocks and 30k for diffs) usually the stock shocks and diffs are low on oil out of the box
    7. Steering & rocker bearings - stock it has bushings...i got a strong dislike for bushings.

I believe that list is right around $100.
    Last edited by TheMajekalBum; 10-30-2012 at 07:17 PM.
    Dye-no-mite Pow-er Go Fast, Wirrrrr Screeeech BOOM

RC Competitor
    I wouldn't replace anything until it breaks.. no since fixing something that isn't broke..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Unless you plan a day of riding and have friends coming and a ten dollar part breaks 2 minutes into your ride and you get to sit and watch!

RC Competitor
    +1 to the RPM A-arms
    I'd also recommend the GPM shocks

Thanks for the replys guys, means alot! Keep'm coming!

Here's a quick question my friend had... Using the stock wall battery charger, could you plug in a Y connector, and charge two batterys at once? My friend is asking that because we are thinking about getting this Summit, and it comes with the Y connector. Here is the link to what we are talking about. Also, do you think this is a good deal, and if so, what things should we check on it before we buy it? http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=22767...lpid=2&search= Thanks!

Yes and no.
    You could, but due to the risks I wouldn't do it.
    There is really no benefit... it will take just as long when using a parallel connector to charge the packs and you could possibly overcharge one of them... NiMH can explode too, you know!

What to look for is fried electronics...
    the series connector is meant for short speed runs on smooth surfaces. Any other use with the stock gearing and you will have heat issues; and heat fries electronics.
    Last edited by JimmyNeutron; 10-31-2012 at 03:44 PM.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

Ok, thanks Jimmie! This thread is still open to ideas!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Here's a quick question my friend had... Using the stock wall battery charger, could you plug in a Y connector, and charge two batterys at once? My friend is asking that because we are thinking about getting this Summit, and it comes with the Y connector. Here is the link to what we are talking about. Also, do you think this is a good deal, and if so, what things should we check on it before we buy it? http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=22767...lpid=2&search= Thanks!
    the summit looks pretty good i would ask about any clicking from the diffs and play in the wheels ,how old the batteries are then offer them 200 for it!

RC Qualifier
    shouldnt you be asking the summit ones in the summit forums even though they are pretty much the same? anyway, for the erevo i would defiantly say gpm shocks, rpm arms, rpm bumpers, new servos (hitec, savox or futaba) and a good think about ESC and motors.
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Slash 2WD
    Slash 1/16 VXL

shouldnt you be asking the summit ones in the summit forums even though they are pretty much the same?
    Ya, I should have asked this is the 1/16 Summit section, but I didn't feel the need to start another thread when I had this one up.