RC poster

Switching from 2s to 3s lipo

I have a traxxas rustler that I am running a 5800mah 2s lipo in. I was looking into getting a 3s just for some faster runs when in the street and parking lots. I also do alot of off roading. Is it necessary to change gearing for 3s? I am currently running stock gears. Is there maybe a happy medium gearing where I could run 2s and 3s without worrying about switching gears everytime?

RC Competitor
    Whelp,,I'm relatively new/recently back into the hobby. That said,,I believe you'll be just fine with the stock setup with either battery. Just keep an eye on your ESC & motor temps with the 3S.

I've run both batteries this way & had no issues. Good luck,have fun & welcome to the boards.

You might not have any problems. If you do have any then you can leave the smaller gear for the 3s in even when you run 2s.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

First of all you will need a temp gun. Then on 3s just check the temps and if they rise too high gear down.

RC Enthusiast
    Hello everyone I am new to this hobby as well and would like to jst touch on the gear subject is a lower gear to go faster and a bigger for slower?? Sorry 8f this is a daft question but it's all new to me

Quote Originally Posted by uktraxxa5 View Post
    Hello everyone I am new to this hobby as well and would like to jst touch on the gear subject is a lower gear to go faster and a bigger for slower?? Sorry 8f this is a daft question but it's all new to me
    Bigger Pinion Gear and smaller Spur Gear = faster

and vice versa

RC poster
    Hello back to the hobby with my son after 20 years off. With the new tech can we run a 2S Lipo in a 4x4 Slash in the grass without overheating the motor? Thanks for the help have zero experience with brushless motors!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjetset2 View Post
    Hello back to the hobby with my son after 20 years off. With the new tech can we run a 2S Lipo in a 4x4 Slash in the grass without overheating the motor? Thanks for the help have zero experience with brushless motors!
    Yes but get a temp gun and check temps just to be on the safe side. Grass is very demanding on the power plant

Quote Originally Posted by Bjetset2 View Post
    That really depends on the eagerness of throttle finger, length of grass, tire size, gears installed and motor.
    If the answer to most of the above is "stock" then you can, but I did not find that configuration in those conditions all that fun.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    i have been sitting on the fence about going to 3s for also longer faster runs
    lots of nice replies

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    First of all you will need a temp gun. Then on 3s just check the temps and if they rise too high gear down.
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    Yes but get a temp gun and check temps just to be on the safe side. Grass is very demanding on the power plant

I see people mention this in every thread where a 3s LiPo is discussed, and every single one of them leaves out a bit of crucial information. Obviously, people asking are likely new to this hobby, and it doesn't do much good to check the temperatures, when they have no idea what a normal (or hot) termperature is. What is normal, and what temp should you start throttling back? If it gets hot, do you just let it sit and cool off? So if you're beating on the car pretty hard, do you stop in the middle of a bashing, remove the body, and check the ESC temp, or do you just bend the body over and shoot at the side of it to check it?
    Last edited by 69fastback; 11-22-2015 at 11:28 AM.