RC Competitor

motor making clicking nosie ontake off

when ever I just barely nudge the throttle to go, the motor tries to go, but can't seem to turn. This only happens when I barley nudge the throttle to go very slow. It seems as if the motor keeps switching between poles to get the motor turning but it can't. The spur gear and pinion keep jiggling around to try to go forward, but seem to can't. this problem doesn't happen when I take off at a higher speed though. I just got the car used- so maybe I should re-mesh the motor and replace spur?

Let me know if you think this is bad for m car and motor?

PS-Should I rebuild the motor?

RC Champion
    This is called clogging it is normal , Most bushless does it and it depends on how good your battery is .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Competitor
    Im using nimh batteries- I noticed it with a 7.2v one, but not with the 8.4v one.

RC Competitor
    Another thing I noticed is the gear cover is missing. Should I get one?

RC Champion
    That depends on where your running , the gears can get dirt in them , some don't hv covers on to help keep temps down . I've hv rpm covers on both of mine because i run in a lot of sand .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Champion
    Go lipo when you can , night and day difference .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Qualifier
    mine does that, im running an 8.4v nimh. for the cover its probly safe to get one because you dont want dirt or whatever getting in there.
    Philippians 4:13

RC Qualifier
    Just a guess I'm wondering if the smaller battery is not producing the amps your esc is demanding. That would make the cogging worse. Nihms do so more than lipo but a weak nihm does it more.
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol

RC Competitor
    ill be running alot in sand and dirt, so ill get a cover, most likely

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Icero1 View Post
    ill be running alot in sand and dirt, so ill get a cover, most likely
    Then I would go with the RPM cover , there is no holes for the sand to get into the gears the only down fall is you can't run the 90 spur gear 86 is the highest spur you can run . ebay has them for a nice price .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC poster
    Mine was cogging REALLY badly, getting worse and worse. I geared it down, I went from 2S to 3S, reset all the electronics, tried different throttle settings....this morning, I figured it out. Check the connectors from the motor to the ESC. one of mine was very loose fitting. I cinched it with a plier and put some grease in all three connectors to keep water out. The cogging is COMPLETELY gone. I geared back up to 13/50 and get smooth power-on, even on 2S. Very happy now.

BTW mine is a Slash Ultimate 4x4 with stock motor and esc. This should apply to all models.

RC Competitor
    Now my motor makes a high whining noise after I punch the throttle, and takes a minute to get going. Does this mean my motor is straining and going to break? BTW- this is after I put on off road tires on back with a 8.4v.

RC Competitor
    Another thing, is a 28/63 gear combo ok for high speed offroad in dirt and tall, thick grass?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Icero1 View Post
    Now my motor makes a high whining noise after I punch the throttle, and takes a minute to get going. Does this mean my motor is straining and going to break? BTW- this is after I put on off road tires on back with a 8.4v.
    Sounds like you hv to tighten the slipper clutch up a little or your pinion geas is slipping , I would check the slipper clutch first .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Competitor
    ok- ill have to test tommarrow cause its dark and I smashed the car into the curb, with a wheel flying 22ft away- so I need to check to make sure nothing else broke...