RC Racer

GPS or radar gun?

Hello all!
    Quick question here.. My bushnell radar gun has gone bad and I want to still be able to take my car's speed. I usually run with my dad or brother so they are able to take the speed for me. But my question is should I get a radar gun or use a GPS to take me top speeds, is one more accurate? And if you recommend a GPS, please make sure it can tell the top speed from the run and not just current speed. I am going to ask for this for Christmas but I still don't want it to exceed $60...
    Thanks for your help!

RC Racer
    GPS always more accurate: radar guns can be off by up to 10%

RC Racer
    Can you recommend one that is around $60?

Look at the Garmin's, I've seen them for $54, and they work great. Maybe you can sell the idea to your parents and loan the GPS to them when you aren't making speed runs.

Deer meat in the freezer
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    My dad has a garmin nuvi 3400 or something like that... It was really expensive so he won't let me use it.... But Garmins are really nice from looking at my dad's. Will those cheaper ones be able to show highest speed reached?

I'll bet wal Mart will have one on black Friday. I'm sure all Garmins show the top speed reached.

Deer meat in the freezer

RC Racer
    Not sure if they sell them anymore but I have an older Garmin eTrex GPS, made for hikers/bikers. Water resistant, rubber cased, slim fit. Doesn't have maps and such but does record max speeds. Perfect for RC's.

RC Racer
    Do you have and iphone, or ipod touch or an android with gps? because you can get an app that tells you the top speed. I have it on my galaxy s2 and its called speed view (its free, but I am not sure for if it is ipod or iphones) and I just put my galaxy s2 in a zip lock bag, than rap it in 3 layers of bubble wrap then secure it with elastic bands and tape onto the car (under the front shock tower)

RC Racer
    I want to use my iPhone cause I have an otter box and feel that if my car crashed my phone would still be okay cause it has the case and would be tied down... My parents won't let me though...

RC Qualifier
    striking jealousy into the hearts of all onlookers!

Go with the GPS.

The garming forerunner 101 is a good one. Just about every one use them for speed runs.
    I got skills!

RC Champion
    I'd go radar gun, not only will it be safe from a high speed wreck, (unless the gun is somehow collected in that wreck), but it won't add unneeded weight to the vehicle, especially up high on the chassis.
    https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en

Where do you get a radar gun? I've never seen one.

Deer meat in the freezer

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Where do you get a radar gun? I've never seen one.
    Not sure any more, the Pep Bpys around here used to carry one for around $100, but haven't seen that in some time.
    https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en

RC Racer
    Dicks sporting goods carries bushnell radar guns. That's where I got mine and it lasted for a good while