Thread: Hobby grade?

Hobby grade?

Are they hobby graade helis? Like can you take off the shell and work on it?
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC Qualifier
    Are you insane? Of course you can remove the body and work on the internal components. This is Traxxas.

When you look at the QR-1, there is not much to do under the hood. The hood is 80% of the whole thing.
    4 motors, an upper and lower frame, a circuit board and a Lipo is all there is.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    Not that the qr-1 is the same as the hubsan (per traxxas) but my hubsan is a hobby grade toy if that makes sense. You can an replace the motors but that's about it. Perhaps the props if you found the right size. There isn't much too these things. A circuit board and 4 motors. They are durable little fellas though.

RC poster
    Quad copters don't break much because there isn't much to break, but I can guarantee the co-axial heli's will be breaking parts like all heli's do. So, I hope they are easy to work on.

So far,,, I can honestly say that supporting your Traxxas RC has been pretty good don't you?
    Click on the support area for ANY Traxxas and you find tons of info....

Then,,, Look where you are posting... In a section, already dedicated to the model prior to it's release...

So,,, honestly, with all said above, along with their customer support, is there really a doubt on service or support...

I've had a dual blade heli, popular and support? Let's just say it wasn't Traxxas or even up to par....

The proof is always in the pudding so to speak... When I refer to support and service, I would honestly believe like ALL prior Traxxas models, the level of an RC would surely be Hobby Grade... I don't believe Traxxas is going to stray from that...
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 11-26-2012 at 02:38 PM.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    So far,,, I can honestly say that supporting your Traxxas RC has been pretty good don't you?
    Click on the support area for ANY Traxxas and you find tons of info....

Then,,, Look where you are posting... In a section, already dedicated to the model prior to it's release...

So,,, honestly, with all said above, along with their customer support, is there really a doubt on service or support...

I've had a dual blade heli, popular and support? Let's just say it wasn't Traxxas or even up to par....

The proof is always in the pudding so to speak... When I refer to support and service, I would honestly believe like ALL prior Traxxas models, the level of an RC would surely be Hobby Grade... I don't believe Traxxas is going to stray from that...
    Wow. So no doubt that this will be a good $60.00 purchase then. Thanks Nitronaught, you just made me put that on my wishlist.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseSlash View Post
    Wow. So no doubt that this will be a good $60.00 purchase then. Thanks Nitronaught, you just made me put that on my wishlist.
    Where did you see it for $60?

RC poster
    $60 is ARTR with no transmitter or receiver

RC Champion
    You won't be able to fix anything on these birds. Have you ever soldered hair sized wires? Servos are on the same board as esc and gyros. If one goes they all go.

RC Champion
    They even got a Traxxas trade in program in place already. Send yours in(because they know you can't fix it) and for half price you can get another one. I'd make sure to run mine over before sending it back.

What makes something hobby grade anyways?
    Last edited by BL-Bob; 12-01-2012 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BL-Bob View Post
    Good question. I think there is no clear definition for it.

This is the only part in the manual where there is something mentioned about it:
    "Your new helicopter is considered to be a hobby-class model. Because our products are not considered to be “toys,” no warranties are expressed or implied that cover damage caused by normal use or wear, or cover or imply how long any part will last before requiring replacement due to wear."

They even got a Traxxas trade in program in place already. Send yours in(because they know you can't fix it) and for half price you can get another one. I'd make sure to run mine over before sending it back.

I'm betting the motors, gyro, PCB, and rotors should be able to be able to be swapped out without soldering.

My idea of Hobby and Toy Grade...

Hobby grade is an RC that is designed for extreme performance and the makers of the RC expect failure of its parts when the RC is pushed passed its limits. So, it is designed to be repaired by the consummer and repair parts are available.

Toy Grade is an RC that is designed not perform past its breaking point and is not designed to be repaired if something breaks, therefore, little to no repair parts will be available.

JMHO...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I think you will have to do some solder work to replace the motors. There is simply no place for plugs on the circuit board.

sent from my Acer S500 using Tapatalk

So they are brushed?
    Lock, Stomp, and Steer. No Fear

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlinMike View Post
    So they are brushed?
    I doubt that Traxxas put brushless motors in it. I don't think it really needs brushless power. It would significantly reduce flight time and add unnecessary power. Bigger Lipos isn't a serious option either.

Edit: no doubt... they are brushed motors and they have to be soldered:
    Last edited by Petertje60; 12-02-2012 at 02:50 PM.

RC Champion
    I wonder what the lifespan of the motors will be?
    How much they will cost?
    How hard will they be to replace?
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    I doubt that Traxxas put brushless motors in it. I don't think it really needs brushless power. It would significantly reduce flight time and add unnecessary power. Bigger Lipos isn't a serious option either.

Edit: no doubt... they are brushed motors and they have to be soldered:
    Brushless would improve effincey and extend flight time. Look it up.
    Lock, Stomp, and Steer. No Fear

I know that brushless motors most of the time are more efficient than brushed motors. I'm not sure if that also goes for motors of this size.

Try to find a brushless inrunner of this size (7mm diameter).

Another thing is the complexity of the controller board. With brushed motors, you only have to regulate the current to the motors. To control 4 brushless motors, you would need a more complex system which also must be able to handle more power.

Not saying it isn't possible, but nowadays it will drive the price up.

All my Traxxas cars have stronger brushless motors, but even if there was a brushless upgrade available for this bird, I would never buy it.

RC Qualifier
    Id bet my left summit tire the motors are coreless, as they would need to change rpm exceedingly fast to allow stable flight.
    Coreless is more efficient than traditional brushed as well.

Similar sized x4 quads run coreless motors as well.

That other website has some 6 and 7mm motors. They also have some 12mm motors that could be crammed into the housing if you for some reason needed more power. They are available in brushed and brushless.
    Last edited by chapinb; 12-02-2012 at 06:24 PM.

RC Racer
    they are cheap just like the mini blade helicoptor. you can fix them but they are still gonna break in no time. you might as well buy a mini heli from the mall
    Slash 4x4
    MERV

Quote Originally Posted by chevyjlewis View Post
    they are cheap just like the mini blade helicoptor. you can fix them but they are still gonna break in no time. you might as well buy a mini heli from the mall
    Do you have personal experience on which you base this?

RC Qualifier
    I dunno, I have a Heli Max quad and have ran it full throttle into walls, doors, chairs, myself and so far worst I've done is knock the body loose, then just popped it back on and went back to flying. So I would error on the side that a Traxxas quad will be as durable or more. (Santa is still bring me one)

It is pretty clear that have no idea what you are talking about. Had you any experience with hobby grade micro quads, you wouldn't make such uninformed posts.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Texas, ChevronPhillips Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    WOW!! I think there is a way difference in a "Hobby Grade" and a cheap slap a battery in and fly copter. Same goes with RC's. Not saying they won't break with a smack in the wall or planted object, but the difference is being able to work on these when something happens. I have had many cheapos from the big box stores to your display in the center isles in the malls. They are by no means comparable.

A couple good ole plus's. You get the Traxxas excellent suport and their outstanding no questions asked warranty. For half the cost you can ship it back and a new one heading your direction.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

You won't be able to fix anything on these birds. Have you ever soldered hair sized wires? Servos are on the same board as esc and gyros. If one goes they all go.
    Well most micro quads are limited as to what you can service, it's my understanding the gears, the individual brushless motors, the main board, the cross member are all replaceable...

I've seen others replace the bushings on the rotor axles with tiny tiny bearings on others....

I'm pretty sure this is what you are going to find in a little more time.... But wires, they are replaced with wiring harnesses, and it's all pretty much modular replacement....

To me what makes a hobby grade RC, is support, being able to replace parts, and it should perform better when treated correctly than anything that is usually found in a toy store....
    All Lives Matter

If the QR-1 is just a little better than it's "brother", you will have an awesome little machine. One of the nice things of the QR-1 is that is has no gears at all. There might be bearings inside the tiny motors, but I think in case of a motor failure, it's way more easy to replace the complete motor.
    What puzzles me is that there are clock- and counter clockwise motors. Would be a matter of swapping the wires.

Anyhow, if you prefer wrenching on your R/C over driving/flying it, I'd stay away from the QR-1. I'm pretty sure these birds are going to bring a lot of fun during Xmas.

If the QR-1 is just a little better than it's "brother", you will have an awesome little machine. One of the nice things of the QR-1 is that is has no gears at all. There might be bearings inside the tiny motors, but I think in case of a motor failure, it's way more easy to replace the complete motor.
    What puzzles me is that there are clock- and counter clockwise motors. Would be a matter of swapping the wires.

Anyhow, if you prefer wrenching on your R/C over driving/flying it, I'd stay away from the QR-1. I'm pretty sure these birds are going to bring a lot of fun during Xmas.
    YEah looking at it I don't see any gears, the rotors seem to be direct drive... As far as swapping the wires that could already be done in the circuitry and just plug and play.... That's what my non-Traxxas quad does...

What can I say..... It was a gift....
    All Lives Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    YEah looking at it I don't see any gears, the rotors seem to be direct drive... As far as swapping the wires that could already be done in the circuitry and just plug and play.... That's what my non-Traxxas quad does...

What can I say..... It was a gift....
    I have to warn you that talking about non-Traxxas products is against the rules. Next time you will get a serious infraction!

Good question. I think there is no clear definition for it.

This is the only part in the manual where there is something mentioned about it:
    "Your new helicopter is considered to be a hobby-class model. Because our products are not considered to be “toys,” no warranties are expressed or implied that cover damage caused by normal use or wear, or cover or imply how long any part will last before requiring replacement due to wear."
    It means it is a vehicle that you can take apart.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseSlash View Post
    It means it is a vehicle that you can take apart.
    The one year old boy of my buddy has a vehicle which I can take apart (it has screws which hold it together), but that is definately a toy.

Anyhow, when people ask me about my little quad, I often hear "Oh wow, do you have a new toy?". It's funny to see the look on their faces when I actually fly it.