RC Qualifier

Question Very easy charger to use and cheap

Hi my 8 year old neighbor is getting his rustler xl-5
    the stock charger takes very long time to charge
    Maybe after when he gets into it he will like to get a better charger.
    Dose any one know a good cheap charger that you just plug in the Nimh battery and when finish it stops charging ? and charges in around ( 3-4 hours)
    Is the traxxas 4amp charger good?

RC Champion
    the 4amp charger charges in about a hour. so it is a good choise for nimh only.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

Kids are extremely intelligent. You could probably get any charger and he would master it really quickly. My suggestion would be to find a decent charger that also charges lipo batteries. That way when he is ready to make the upgrade, he wil just need batteries and not a charger also. If you do an internet search there are a lot of chargers that will work well for him.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Champion
    cannot get much more basic than a cellpro.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Champion
    I have two chargers... both cheap and simple. One is a Dynamite Prophet Sport II. It's got one button, short press changes amperage and long press starts charging. I prefer that one. The other charger is a DuraTrax Onyx 100. It's even simpler with a sliding switch to select the amperage and once that's set, you just plug in the battery. The only thing I don't like about this one is that it cuts off after 90 minutes to save your battery... but at 2 amps, my larger batteries aren't done charging yet. They are both very good, cheap, and simple and I recommend both.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Champion
    +1 on the onyx 100. Cheap, simple and does the job for nimhs. At 8 he doesnt need lipos nor would I put any in. They are still a bit irresponsible at that age and the last thing you need is a child with a 50 mph 6 lb torpedo wreaking havock on the neighborhood.

He won't stay 8 forever. I started my God-son at 8, he is now 13. I should've bought him a better charger when he was young. Now I have to buy another charger and he will buy the lipos.

RC Champion
    IMO. No 8 year old should be using a charger, specially a LIPO charger. My son is 9 and he knows to never touch the chargers, he wants a battery charged I do it for him. Sure I can show him, but I am not comfortable with him charging batteries.
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

When my boy was 8 he charged batteries on my Hyperion charger. He has had his own charger for 5 years now. Different strokes for different folks. He is now wanting to move up to lipo. I feel he is ready, after all the Christmas shopping I have done he will wait for awhile. I told him if he buys the batteries I will get him a charger.

Onyx 245
    Very easy with screens
    It is soooo simple
    The other night I was trying my friends 235
    So hard to program!
    So 245 all the way
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Ok Dynamite Prophet Sport II If He will get a better battery ( 4500mah ) will the charger detect his new battery and charge it fully?
    And when the battery is full will it turn off itself ?

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    ^^^ Look to see if the charger has delta peak capabilities. It should be in the specs, and just about every nimh charger will have it.

If it says "peak charger" somewhere on the box, it will shut itself off when full
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

TRAXXAS EASY PEAK - great entry level charger - 40-60 minute charger!!!!!!

EASY PEAK PLUS - Great entry level LIPO charger!!!
    "RED"