RC Competitor

Question Old Slash Ultimate VS "new 2013" Slash Ultimate

'Sup fellow RC addicts!

I Have some Christmas money, Its burning a hole in my pocket and I would like to buy a new toy!

I have been looking around at short course trucks to race in the summer.
    (maybe bash a little, I have a revo for the real bashing.)

Anyways there is a NEW ultimate that is coming out that has a lower lcg chassis and new high capacity GTR shocks..

Now here is my question.
    Do you guys think this new ultimate is going to be THAT much better on the track? I have found alot of people have been saying the stock slash is not as competitive as other stock SCTs.
    Also, when is this new ultimate going to be in stores? talked to a few LHS and they are not sure.

RC Champion
    Isn't that what is already on the platinum version? Also I doubt it will be that big of a upgrade.

RC Competitor
    Okay, Im obviously a tard.

Yeah I just checked and What I was asking about, totally is on the platinum.

Being a partial noob to the rc scene, would it be better if I was to wait to get the ultimate?
    If I do pick up a platinum, any sugestions on the transmitter, receiver and batteries?
    Last edited by Cigarelephant; 01-09-2013 at 02:50 AM.

RC Champion
    Im just gonna go with a TQi since i can get one for $60 on ebay.

Before you buy the platinum make sure it is the 6804R.

RC Qualifier
    the only thing thats different on the new 2013 is the lcg chassis(took from rally) and the gtr shocks. thats the only difference, and you get lipo and a charger if the one you were looking at was the one that comes with 7cells.
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Champion
    The Platinum has no battery.

RC poster
    i have done the lcg swap (rally chassis) and the difference is phenominal,it feels like a completly different truck,I am a club racer and with just the chassis swap my ride height went up 3 mm,also it coasts a lot further and the overall noise of the truck alot less,I love it!

RC Champion
    Not surprised since it was taken from a rally rc.

RC Enthusiast
    So can a previous model slash chassis be upgraded to the new LCG chassis?

Quote Originally Posted by gman897 View Post
    So can a previous model slash chassis be upgraded to the new LCG chassis?
    Yes, with like 80$ of stuff
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    The biggest difference is the LCG chassis. This has been the problem with the slash 4x4's lack of a competitive edge. Short course races are won in the turns. If you cant get though a turn fast enough because you have to slow down to keep from rolling over you aren't going to win.

There is a difference. As everyone here has listed, it has the low center of gravity chassis. It also comes with a 2s lipo and charger. It has all the telemetry connected. Add your iPod and you are ready to go. It has the new aluminum threaded body shocks. The plastic cap has a bleeder valve built into it. Those are the differences that I know of. If anyone knows more, they will chime in. If I were you, I would wait for the new edition.
    Last edited by El Sob; 01-09-2013 at 09:19 AM.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Champion
    Definitely go LCG. You'll have some serious buyer's remorse if you get the regular chassis version now.

Jang from URC just put up a mini-review, thoughts video, whatever-he-wants-to-call-it on YouTube of the new LCG ultimate slash. Check it out too.

RC Champion
    Also, he put up a crashing video of an Associated ProLite. That truck has a LCG chassis. Count how many times it lands on its feet after a crash.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    There is a difference. As everyone here has listed, it has the low center of gravity chassis. It also comes with a 2s lipo and charger. It has all the telemetry connected. Add your iPod and you are ready to go. It has the new aluminum threaded body shocks. The plastic cap has a bleeder valve built into it. Those are the differences that I know of. If anyone knows more, they will chime in. If I were you, I would wait for the new edition.
    Also comes with two sway bars, black and silver, black was installed on mine. Has numerous Traxxas blue
    alum. running gear parts installed on all four corners. I am new to this also, but I like mine. Don't really know what not to like!! LOL

RC Enthusiast
    Mayby watch Jang's video about the new Slash 4x4 Ultimate on YouTube,he is mostly correct about his thoughts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAu7OZyccLA

RC Competitor
    Sweet thanks for the fast responses everyone!
    hopefully others that are interested will be able to read up on this here aswell.

I think Ill wait for the ultimate, Super stoked

RC Champion
    My lhs had had them in Stock for bout a month now. I just converted mine to the new lcg, I have yet to drive it yet. So far it is very promise ng!
    if you want me to i can break your truck for free!

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaSlasher View Post
    Also comes with two sway bars, black and silver, black was installed on mine. Has numerous Traxxas blue
    alum. running gear parts installed on all four corners. I am new to this also, but I like mine. Don't really know what not to like!! LOL
    I was trying to point out differences between the two. I have an Ultimate, just not the new model. I also have a standard model. It is amazing how mu h more reliable the Ultimate is. All the parts that I replaced on the standard model are already on the Ultimate.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigarelephant View Post
    Now here is my question.
    Do you guys think this new ultimate is going to be THAT much better on the track? I have found alot of people have been saying the stock slash is not as competitive as other stock SCTs.
    No it will not be much better against the scte or sc10 4x4..If you want to be competitve on a RC track then DO NOT buy a slash..
    Superman don't need no seatbelt-Ali
    2x SSC SL4x4

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveItLikeYaStoleIT View Post
    No it will not be much better against the scte or sc10 4x4..If you want to be competitve on a RC track then DO NOT buy a slash..
    my gut says to wait and buy the new ultimate for racing, but with reviews I have read... Not good things competitively speaking.
    Yaddee yadda 20% car 80% driver. That makes sence, but if im going to blow +500 bucks I would like the best thing out there.

So even with the NEW lcg chassis and the new shocks ( that seems like what every slash was doing for upgrades ) Do you guys think it would still be THAT much behind other sct?

... I guess I just feel like a 10 year old kid all star gazed with traxxas/the slash (...lol)
    and with the other "L brand" SCT I just dont feel that...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigarelephant View Post
    my gut says to wait and buy the new ultimate for racing, but with reviews I have read... Not good things competitively speaking.
    Yaddee yadda 20% car 80% driver. That makes sence, but if im going to blow +500 bucks I would like the best thing out there.

So even with the NEW lcg chassis and the new shocks ( that seems like what every slash was doing for upgrades ) Do you guys think it would still be THAT much behind other sct?

... I guess I just feel like a 10 year old kid all star gazed with traxxas/the slash (...lol)
    and with the other "L brand" SCT I just dont feel that...
    I'm in the same boat. I just don't know what to say about the others. Also I wonder if the others are water proof. That's a big deal for me.

RC Champion
    The others aren't as good a basher as the slash, which is what most people do. Slash has everything waterproof, easier maintenance, more parts availability, etc...

Also, the new LCG slash can still be tuned to be competitive on the track. It's not the best rtr race truck by any means, but don't buy into the stigma that just because you have a slash, you can't race.

RC Competitor
    Sounds Interesting, I have Been contemplating for along time.
    Im sure I would end up bashing it a bit, but would like to race 20/80

for my first sct truck, Id like to make the right desicion. =D
    losi scte 4x4 looks pretty wicked.
    maybe a TEN-scte and buy the electronics. sounds fun!
    its 5 am here I cant sleep.
    STOP THINKING ABOUT RC!... I might just need to go get one so i can sleep! lol
    Last edited by Cigarelephant; 01-12-2013 at 07:07 AM.