Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

>> 1/16 Revo powered by Viper build <<

Got my first 1/16 scale. Its a revo obviously and next will be a Rally but I may get the 1/10 scale Rally. Here is where I am so far. I swapped out the motor hardware from the brushed version of the Revo to allow me to use 540 size motors. Next thing I did is upgrade the shocks. The factory setup is crap and is only useful to keep the truck safe in shipping.. Im almost certain they filled those shocks with water.. I upgraded to the hard anodized "GTR" shocks. The front springs got switched out for the black ones and the rears now have pinks.. The front shocks have Factory Team 50 weight and the rear has 60 weight. That made the truck handle 10x better and allowed for much greater stability. Next thing I ordered was a 1/10th scale brushless motor and speed controller from Viper RC. I was originally gonna go with Tekin but im impressed with the Viper hardware. Specially the quality of their wire solder tabs. They are just plain hard core compared to the thin flimsy tabs you find on the Tekin's.. All the extra hardware that comes off this Revo is going towards my 1/16 Rally roller. Here are some pics of what's been done so far. Ill update as I go..

Here is the frame rebuilt after I dyed it using Rit dye found in the detergent isle of your local walmart. It worked really well and penetrated the plastic well. I think it brings the truck together much better.

Here is the 540 motor mounting plate and heat sink mounted. This whole unit will eventually be replaced with the HB unit that machined from aluminum for both looks and heat dissipation.

So far ive got the motor mounted. I should receive the speed controller shortly and I will post more pics. The nice thing is that the stock body fits over this motor perfect. I did rotate the motor so that the soldering tabs are facing sideways. There is a slight clearance issue if you leave the tabs facing up.

I will continue to keep you guys updated as I go on. If anyone has any suggestions on what to replace the factory servo with, chime in. I want something that's either red or black and has higher torque so that I don't have to use two. It should also be digital since ill be upgrading to a Spectrum system in the near future. Give me your thoughts and ideas im always open to them.

RC Qualifier
    Well lookie lookie what the mail man dragged in (I'm allergic to cats)... I swear there is no company with better customer service than Viper RC. Thanks Cindy!! The first time they sent me the wrong ESC, I spoke with Cindy the same day, they shipped out the replacement on Friday and its here on Monday.. I really can't praise them enough.. Anyways here are some pics of the pretty box and whats inside.

The awesome VTX10R Black Edition! It looks as awesome as bacon smells..

Also, here is the ProGauge.. Its got a TON of features including the ability to program the ESC on the spot with a wire connection, check your LiPo batteries, test your servos and check your prop RPM if you happen to be flying a plane.. Its just awesome..

Next thing I need to do is to de-solder all the wires from the ESC because they all need to be rotated 90 away from the speed controller. Ill keep you guys posted..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hitec 5085 is black. Digital and stronger.
    Be interesting to see how it runs! Good build so far

RC Qualifier
    Yea ive been looking at the hitec too. What do you guys think about Savox? Ive read a lot that they are power hungry and can cause a Rx to reboot because of a spike in power draw? Anyone have these in their trucks? Just curious.

RC poster
    Very nice build so far it looks great, are you going to put a heatsink on the motor and on the esc or leave it the way it is, oh and when your done i whant to see a video of that thing going, I have beeen upgrading mine and shes starting to get faster and faster.

BTW Where did you buy your shock oils and how much is it, thats the next thing i would like to change.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I know the 1/10 scale savox are not sure of their smaller ones.50.00 for a good on though!
    Last edited by 50togo; 01-14-2013 at 05:55 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Just got it wired up and drained a battery. This thing is a MONSTER! Even at 50% this thing is difficult to maintain.. Here is what happens when an soldering iron gets hot in this room..

Here is the ESC with the wires removed.

Here it is mounted up and attached to the motor.

Now all that's left to do is shorten a lot of wires and mount up a few more things. This setup really looks mean up close. Its just thick 12guage wires and a big motor all in your face. The way it sits so high on the truck, its deff king of the hill. Now I need a shorter sensor wire too. I really need one that's 100mm. The one in there currently is 220mm.. Way too long..

RC Qualifier
    Ill be leaving the motor and ESC the way they are. Ive seen guys run a full race with this setup and right after the heat, I can comfortably touch the motor and ESC. They stay cool. Also, I got my oil at a LHS but you can get them online I think for around $4 a bottle. The oils I use are made by Factory Team and Muchmore which is available on eBay. I used 60 in the rear and 50 in the front but I may got 40 in the front in the future and keep the springs the same.

RC Champion
    have you drove it yet? what venom system is it? looks very cool
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I have but on a weak NIMH battery. I don't have any usable LiPo's yet. Its the VTX10R Black Edition ESC and the 6.5T motor.

RC poster
    That thing is going to be incredibly fast...nice!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by revoman78 View Post
    have you drove it yet? what venom system is it? looks very cool
    Venom? Not a Venom product, i am sorry to say.... the name sounds good but it's crap China products, if even made in USA!

Viper? Well my "son".... Viper brand in RC is something to behold! In cat like neu's or mgm's or Lhener's.... something from that league...

comprende?

I never used Viper stuff.... but is just like Tekin! Even better

RC Qualifier
    Wow that's a sick setup. I've never heard of that brand. But judging from the price tag, it's no joke. Pretty cool that it can be programmed without unplugging the esc.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Yeah its definitely in a class of its own. Once I have my 1/10 scale Rally, this whole setup is going to go into it and possibly be replaced with a Tekin kit. I think the ProGauge is the coolest feature of this whole setup. It makes programming all the features of the ESC a breeze.. Ive actually used it to test my servos by plugging it directly into a running Rx. Also ive been busy lately rebuilding my 4-tec. Ive got some plans for that car as well. I think the next upgrade on the MERV will be new tires and wheels. Ive got something nice in mind..

Amazing looking install!! Love it.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would get some liquid tape and give those exposed terminals a good coating!

RC Qualifier
    Ive thought about it but I don't really see the reason for it. This is going to be more of a show off car really so im not planning on hard bashing and I don't for-see it getting wet. I know that's sorta the opposite of what everyone wants to see but I have a few other trucks for that. I do plan on running it a lot indoors. Hopefully on some indoor running tracks of a nice sized gym. I just picked up a nitro 4-tec for a great price so that's gonna be my summer parking lot warrior so to say..

RC Qualifier

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    Looks crazy awesome, you should get dirt hawgz though.

RC Qualifier
    Ive thought about my tires and this truck is going to be a street only truck. Its going to be lowered soon with a Chevy Silverado body. The wheels and tires will be from HPI.

RC Qualifier
    Anyone have anymore suggestions for the servo? Its gotta be black or red. I want to rid the blue one and replace with something stronger so that I don't have to run two.

RC Qualifier
    Ive done a few changes to the truck since I last posted here. The plastic drive shafts on all four corners were replaced with steel constant velocity drive shafts. The front knuckles were replaced with aluminum HR knuckles. They took out a bit of the slop that was happening in the front. Ive mounted the Rx and shortened down the antenna. Last but not least, I got some new wheels and tires. Ill post up the pics once the wheels get here and I can mount the tires. In the mean time, here are some pics of me goofing off with some 1/10 touring wheels that eventually made it to my 4-tec.

Looks kinda funny but ill have to try it on carpet once I get everything hooked up.

RC Qualifier
    subbed
    Waiting on the first run video

RC Qualifier
    Yeap me too Im actually waiting for a nice day and some lipo's. I have the factory NIMH pack but its no fun, not enough current to really make this thing go. I do however run it around my living room terrorizing the cat..

RC Qualifier
    Absolutely, that's why I terrorize them. My neighbor in our apt building decided to adopt the 5 cats that live in the woods behind us. Sometimes they somehow make it inside the building and I can't take the chance of getting close to them so I chase them out with my Starsky and Hutch dune buggy..

RC Qualifier
    So my wheels finally showed up. Took 3 weeks :flaming:

Anyways here are some pics. The wheels and tires are from HPI.

I recently bought some fancy wheel nuts in red aluminum..

I was messing around with my 4-Tec and I may try this in the summer with rear wheel drive only. The wheels fit perfect all around.

This wheel and tire setup is for the 1.10th scale truck but it seems to fit alright on the 1.16th errr more like 1.12th scale MERV. Come summer Ill get some pictured of this monster running outdoors. Based on the fact that I have 1.10th wheels, tires and motor, I would say that I should have bought a car to match this class. I would have had a Revo if I hadn't been ripped off.

RC Qualifier
    so has MERV run yet ?

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, I refuse to deal with with anyone over there. I've had a few shady experiences myself there. I'll pay more for Ebay protection. Sorry to see you take the hit, but now you know. Looking forward to seeing the Super Merv hit the street lol. Can you send me a link on those tires, their sick.

what would you sell me your factory tires/wheels for?
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    I hate to burst your bubble, but those HPI wheels are absolutely horrid on pavement. The compound is pretty hard and they refuse to grip under acceleration or sharp turning. When I used them I ended up spinning around and around.
    Last edited by Slono; 02-18-2013 at 01:09 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Slono View Post
    I hate to burst your bubble, but those HPI wheels are absolutely horrid on pavement. The compound is pretty hard and they refuse to grip under acceleration or sharp turning. When I used them I ended up spinning around around.
    Yup, I have to agree with Slono on this one. I have the same tire/rim combo and the tires have no grip what so ever. Granted, I have a ridiculous motor in my MERV and a lipo battery that is just insane, but I get no traction what so ever, and at high speed, the slightest turn will make me spin. You may have a different opinion, that's just mine. The rest of the truck looks amazing so far! Good luck!
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasSummitCrawler View Post
    Yup, I have to agree with Slono on this one. I have the same tire/rim combo and the tires have no grip what so ever. Granted, I have a ridiculous motor in my MERV and a lipo battery that is just insane, but I get no traction what so ever, and at high speed, the slightest turn will make me spin. You may have a different opinion, that's just mine. The rest of the truck looks amazing so far! Good luck!
    I deff agree with you guys. The rubber is way too hard but its good on carpet. That is also the reason why i have not glued the tires on yet. I have also thought about buying the Pro-Line road rage tires to put on these wheels. They are same size. For running outside, I may use something narrower with a softer compound or maybe even foams if Jaco ever decides to release anything for the 1.12th scale that doesn't look like it belongs on a hoopty with a few bullet holes..

RC Qualifier
    Who cares if tires don't have grip, they look awesome

A few cosmetic details you could improve:
    -You should get black servo and DE-anodize/polish motor mount, this blue sticks out badly
    -you should plasti-dip the bullets

Dont get me wrong, otherwise it is an awesome build

RC Qualifier
    Eventually when I feel like i want to dump moar monies into this truck, i have plans to replace the motor mount with the HR version which is all machined black aluminum. This should cover both the looks and hopefully improve heat dissipation. Regarding "plasti-dip", this motor is not a permanent solution for this truck. The wires will eventually be un-soldered and moved to a proper 10th scale truck.

So...you wanna get rid of your stock tires/wheels?
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    Sorry, not yet. I don't like to get rid of good tires since ive had times when I needed them but didn't have any extra.

gotcha. don't blame you 1 bit there .
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

Yea.. buddy... Very nice! love it. Fantastic job... Looks super super clean.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Qualifier
    This truck is being converted to street now. This means shorter A-arms, shorter drive shafts, shorter connecting rods and street tires. If anyone has the traxxas constant velocity drive shafts they don't need for the rally, fiesta, mustang or slash, let me know, its the only thing I need to finish the conversion. I apologize for the horrid pictures but here are some for your viewing pleasure..

RC Champion
    The car is gorgeous, the pictures are incredible!

I was looking at Viper a little while back, they have some awesome product! Their logo bothers the heck out of me though, it is so similar to the logo of the old show, 'Viper'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast