Thread: Serious issue

RC poster

Serious issue

Hey guys I have a revo 3.3 with about 12 tanks through it after initial break in. My problem now th motor won't start unless i open the carb to about 35-40% on my controller but then stalls immediately when I release the throttle to idle. WhAts even more weird is I set the needles back to factory and the only way it will start is if I have the throttle applied 35-40% and then stalls out when I rlease throttle. This is on a stock 3.3 no mods. Compression seems fine. There's still the same force on the pullstart when starting the engine as when I first started breaking in the motor.

If anyone has insight to troubleshoot this problem please share them with me.

Fuel, fire and air! There are many reasons why an engine will start but those three cover about 80% of them. First make sure you have fresh fuel in the tank (Leaving fuel in the tank is bad), a new glow plug, a freshly charged EZ-Start battery and a freshly cleaned air filter.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

Agree with that. Also make sure that when there is no throttle applied the gap in the carb is 0.7-1.0mm open.

When trying to start does the truck want to move? Will it start when the tires are off the ground and want to spin when starting? Break-in can be hard on the clutch so it is not uncommon that the spring and/or shoe(s) break.
    The Super Derecho

If your mixtures are too rich they will load up and cause your engine to stall. This time of year the weather changes a lot.

I'd put in a fresh glow plug, check the fuel lines for kinks splits and check the fuel tank lid make sure it seals good. Then back to factory and re-tune. Don't forget to tune with only 1/2 a tank of fuel and do the pinch test to set your LSN.

I've seen glowplugs do that exact same symptom as well even though the wire is still glowing. If the platinum coating wears to a certain point from heat it will not hold up and drive you nuts.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Chicken View Post
    Fuel, fire and air! There are many reasons why an engine will start but those three cover about 80% of them. First make sure you have fresh fuel in the tank (Leaving fuel in the tank is bad), a new glow plug, a freshly charged EZ-Start battery and a freshly cleaned air filter.

I used a brandnew quart of traxxas 20%,2 lc3 plug and went through 4 new Duracell c sized batteries in my igniter.

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Agree with that. Also make sure that when there is no throttle applied the gap in the carb is 0.7-1.0mm open.

When trying to start does the truck want to move? Will it start when the tires are off the ground and want to spin when starting? Break-in can be hard on the clutch so it is not uncommon that the spring and/or shoe(s) break.

My carb is right about 1mm. I always start my nitro rigs on my bump with the tires off the ground. The thing is to get the truck to start now I have to apply 35-40% throttle which then the tires are really spinning. When I release throttle to idle the truck stalls immediately. The carb is set to default by the way. Hsn 4 ccw from full close and lsn is 1 3/4 ccw from full close. As for the clutch I broke the engine in with the stock clutch then swapped them out with the buku kit with bbc shoes and new clutch bell. I did disassemble the clutch to check for wear and nothing seemed to be out of spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    If your mixtures are too rich they will load up and cause your engine to stall. This time of year the weather changes a lot.

I'd put in a fresh glow plug, check the fuel lines for kinks splits and check the fuel tank lid make sure it seals good. Then back to factory and re-tune. Don't forget to tune with only 1/2 a tank of fuel and do the pinch test to set your LSN.

I've seen glowplugs do that exact same symptom as well even though the wire is still glowing. If the platinum coating wears to a certain point from heat it will not hold up and drive you nuts.

I'm lost right now guys. The compression is good. I'm using new fuel, plugs and igniter batteries. I may need a new carb or clean it out atleast. I've ran nitro for several years and not had a problem with them I couldn't fix until now. I even used a head warmer and still no change. I run tekno nt48.3 and nb48.3 both running o.s engines. I may have to swap out for the o.s 21 in this revo. I really don't want to because I know this engine still has more life in it.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to rebuild and clean out the carb as my last ditch effort and let you guys know my outcome. If that fails do you guys know who is still selling the p-max motors? I may go that route if I can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyn79 View Post
    I used a brandnew quart of traxxas 20%,2 lc3 plug and went through 4 new Duracell c sized batteries in my igniter.

My carb is right about 1mm. I always start my nitro rigs on my bump with the tires off the ground. The thing is to get the truck to start now I have to apply 35-40% throttle which then the tires are really spinning. When I release throttle to idle the truck stalls immediately. The carb is set to default by the way. Hsn 4 ccw from full close and lsn is 1 3/4 ccw from full close. As for the clutch I broke the engine in with the stock clutch then swapped them out with the buku kit with bbc shoes and new clutch bell. I did disassemble the clutch to check for wear and nothing seemed to be out of spec.

I'm lost right now guys. The compression is good. I'm using new fuel, plugs and igniter batteries. I may need a new carb or clean it out atleast. I've ran nitro for several years and not had a problem with them I couldn't fix until now. I even used a head warmer and still no change. I run tekno nt48.3 and nb48.3 both running o.s engines. I may have to swap out for the o.s 21 in this revo. I really don't want to because I know this engine still has more life in it.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to rebuild and clean out the carb as my last ditch effort and let you guys know my outcome. If that fails do you guys know who is still selling the p-max motors? I may go that route if I can find one.
    You have compression, why not fix the problem? Can you tell if it a lean setting? Temps? Can you get through the pinch test of the LSN...

Lean you would have a high idle, detonation and high temps. Oh, and be super careful about the HSN needle if you decide to clean it. It is VERY easy to cross thread and strip.

When you pull the plug is it wet? what color is the wire?
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall