Thread: Buy VS. Build

RC Competitor

Buy VS. Build

I'm getting back into R/C after racing a Losi JRX2 in middle school. After researching online for a basher / monster truck that my son and I can play around with the 2WD Stampede VXL seems perfect. Being a tinkerer I already have a long list of mods / upgrades that I'd like to do (Pro-Line kit, BB shocks, upgraded skid plates, wheels, etc.), and I haven't even bought the truck yet (its cold here in Nebraska, so no real rush).

After thinking about all the stuff I would like to do I began to wander if I would just be better off buying the parts I want and just building my own Stampede from the ground up. I swear I think I could assemble an entire truck from the parts my local Hobby Town has on their shelves. I know the initial price would be more, but I figured the price would be less after factoring in the price of all the mods plus the cost of a stock Stampede. This would allow me to do everything I want the first time and not pay for the inexpensive charger and battery the truck comes with and I won't use.

My question is, has some one just 'built' their Stampede instead of buying one and modifying it? Are there any pitfalls to doing it this way? Has anyone done this and regretted it, and if so why the regret?

Thanks!

Howard

RC Qualifier
    You can hit ebay up to find various condition of rollers. This is a good way to save on the basic parts, most of which add up quickly if your buying them individually.

That could get you started, then add in your preferred electronics in later. Over the long term, this will be a bit cheaper, plus you have the satisfaction of pretty much building it yourself.

Building to your need is like 200 more
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    Have you looked into the slash ultimate ? All aluminum upgrades already installed, 4x4 short course truck.
    It would be a little more then a 2wd VXL pede plus upgrades, look for dirt cheap RC .com you can get one shipped for about $500,
    I love my pede but the slash ultimate is a good ,tough ,fully upgraded truck, you can get the platinum without the radio for about $400

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin01020 View Post
    Have you looked into the slash ultimate ? All aluminum upgrades already installed, 4x4 short course truck.
    It would be a little more then a 2wd VXL pede plus upgrades, look for dirt cheap RC .com you can get one shipped for about $500,
    I love my pede but the slash ultimate is a good ,tough ,fully upgraded truck, you can get the platinum without the radio for about $400
    I don't think he'd like a slash
    Maybe a pede 4x4

RC Champion
    I'd get a roller and build from there.

Sent using 8.4 volts of NiMH power!
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

First off welcome to the forums!

I see nothing wrong with building it up the way you want it, Alot of guys do, That's basiclly what I'm doing HERE Bought a semi-roller off E-Bay, and went from there. Any parts that were on it and I didnt use, were just sold off to fund other upgrades.

One of the best ways to know "your" truck is building it up yourself. Not to mention the fun doing it.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    I don't think he'd like a slash
    Maybe a pede 4x4
    I'm with you there,the slash not for everybody . I think traxxas should offer all their trucks in ultimate trim, I wonder if they do special orders?

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin01020 View Post
    I'm with you there,the slash not for everybody . I think traxxas should offer all their trucks in ultimate trim, I wonder if they do special orders?
    That would be awesome!
    Just stop making the lipo versions and make an ultimate with trx lipos

The slash is fun but idk
    I like racing it around at the track
    Especialy the 4x4