RC poster

Problems setup Spartan with new TQI docking +iPhone 4S - WHO CAN HELP?

hey guys,

just bought the new Traxxas Spartan with TQi and iPhone docking station.
    but I have many problems with the setup.

how can I setup the Spartan the right way so I have the full power on 6s?
    do I need any extra equipment beside the docking station?
    Is there a step-by-step instruction how to configure it the right way?

hope somebody can help me....

thanks
    snowscootrider

RC Enthusiast
    Im pretty sure either way you look at it you'll have full power on 6s when u plug in the batteries. Main thing is make sure you have the esc in low voltage protection mode. controller on hold throttle in reverse postion (i usually use tape if someone isnt around to help) wait 10 seconds you'll hear a music tone and then let go of trigger and it should turn solid green for low voltage mode.

On the traxxas link app. go into that and go to garage and then model setup.. that is where you can change what battery type your using, motor, esc....etc once you have it setup like u like just go back to garage and then setup sheets and then capture current setup save as LIPO or something.. I did this for both LIPO and NIMH so i just quickly load them up and its good to go.. Hopefully this helps you with the app..

RC Enthusiast
    Hopefully that helps and answered ur question.. if not please explain more?

RC poster
    hi scoobydood,

thanks for the advice. I just did all that but I wonder which motor type I need to enter in the model setup.
    Now it looks like that:
    pinion gear: 1
    drive ratio: 1.000
    tires: prop 42x59mm
    battery: 6s Lipo
    ESC: VXL-6s
    Motor: Vileneon 3500 ??

steering channel setup: normal
    sub-trim 0,0%
    left endpoint: 100%
    right endpoint: 100%

steering channel setup: reverse
    sub-trim 0,0%

throttle channel setup: normal
    sub-trim 0,0%

throttle channel setup: reverse
    sub-trim 0,0%

The dashboard is not working while running the boat on water.

The drive effect profile shows:
    Spartan: SS: 50, TS: 50, S%50, B%50, TT:30
    what does that exactly mean?
    Last edited by snowscootrider; 01-22-2013 at 04:22 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm not sure what to put as the motor it doesnt actually have the right one listed. We have the Velineon 540xl but its not listed in that.. maybe there is some sort of update i dont know about yet.. hopefully someone else can give us both an answer to this.. I run mine on the Castle Mamba Monster, 2200kv

All the trim options for steering and throttle are totally up to you.. I messed around with steering endpoints just cause my boat would turn left harder than right so i set the end point left to like 80% and right to 120% it seemed to fix that problem..

The dashboard wont work until you get the sensors needed to display those readings. (bummer I kno) just another way for them to get u to buy more.. if you do some reading around tho people arent able to setup the speed sensor and all you can really get as far as sensors is the temp/volt sensor.. if im not mistaken.. although maybe someone has found a way to get the speed sensor to work.

Drive effect im not sure exactly I wanna say it has something to do with like quick setting your esc to like race mode or sport mode.. again im not sure on this one hopefully another memeber can answer that one.. im probably totally off on that one. I dont mess with that tho.. now that you brought it to my attention im def gonna do some research on it.

Hopefully this stuff helps you again!

RC Enthusiast
    OK ya i was wrong on that.. that is so you can save your drive effect settings.. SS - Stering sensitivity, TS - throttle sensitivity, S% - steering percentage...etc

RC Enthusiast
    snowscootrider where are you located?

RC poster
    scoobydood, I am located near Frankfurt Germany...u?
    people here do not have any idea about what they are selling...so I didn't find anybody here to help me until now..
    I sent an email to the traxxas support...no answer until now..
    thanx for all the advices and I'll keep on trying to keep the boat running...

some lakes here are not icy..

RC Enthusiast
    Haha.. Ive been meeting alot of people from Germany lately lol... anyways I'm in Wesley chapel, fl. If you need anymore help just shoot me a PM.. I have only had a few problems with my boat thus far. my first week having it I broke the flex cable and burnt up the stuffing tube... IDK how it happen to much heat i guess.. I got a new stuffing tube and cable installed them and it almost happened again. The tefllon tube inside the stuffing tube was heating up and ripping apart... dont ask me how i thought teflon was a good material for this application but it started to tear up the ends that stuck out of the tube. So what i did was cut them a little short on both ends and then bam its been working great every since.

I picked up some aquarium T fittings also to split the cooling lines off to ea. esc and motor so they have their own cooling lines. seems to work really well and a good mod to hold u off till u can get the tru dual cooling setup.

RC Qualifier
    Do you grease your flex cable? Heat is built by friction, if you have your stuffing tube misaligned or not centered that's what happens, I broke 7 flex cables for not greasing the cable, and misalign it, so from experience then I upgraded to .187 thick flex cable, when your running 6s though I still have the .150 cable for 4s running.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgemoulic View Post
    Do you grease your flex cable? Heat is built by friction, if you have your stuffing tube misaligned or not centered that's what happens, I broke 7 flex cables for not greasing the cable, and misalign it, so from experience then I upgraded to .187 thick flex cable, when your running 6s though I still have the .150 cable for 4s running.

Yes, I spend more time cleaning and lubing everything than I do actually driving the boat. Maybe I just had a defective one right out of the box but, when I got the new one from local hobby shop went home and spent a good half the day putting everything back in and making sure the stuffing tube was aligned best it could be..etc etc... But i mean ever since I cut off maybe a MM on each side of the teflon tube so its not sticking out of the end of the stuffing tube and now it runs great with stock cable on nimh and 6s.

Ive been looking into a new flex cable I just dont know much about boats to kno what to get.. or where to get it... but ya I havent had any problems for a while now.
    Last edited by Scoobydood; 01-23-2013 at 11:10 AM.

RC Qualifier
    My .187 I got it from Jeffwholts

RC Enthusiast
    My .187 I got it from Jeffwholts
    Cool, Ill def be looking into new cable soon. Is that all you would need? work with stock prop? (I need to upgrade that too) lol

RC Qualifier
    On the .187 you can use it without the Teflon liner, then regarding on the stock prop. I recommend Octura x442 or Prather 215
    Stock prop

Octura x442 prop

RC poster
    Hi scoobydood,
    hi edgemoulic,

that's funny. sounds that Germans ask you often for help . well, guess it is warm over there...uh..cold here up to -12C.
    However the lake is big enough and not yet completely frozen.

Now I see much clearer regarding the Spartan telemetry system:

There is no speed or RPM option for the Spartan, voltage and temp only. But maybe you can have all options if a telemetry
    expander module (#6550) and the GPS (#6551) is installed. try to figure that out in the next days and keep you informed.
    I maintain my boat after each run and for sure check the flex cable.
    Prather 215 / 210 or Octure x442 is a good choice.
    Had a Prather 225 before but I guess it cooked the ESC, don't mind cos it was covered by two years warranty
    Same experience with the teflon tube, but now cut it a bit and it works great.

Really nice pics edgemoulic, like the adjustable trim tabs. Where can I get them?
    Where did you get the plate near the hatch mount? need this to prevent water gets into the boat while reverse...
    Last edited by snowscootrider; 01-24-2013 at 11:03 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Here is a link to follow http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...m-ST-5708-blue
    You can find a lot of stuff here but there's more, better ask the shipping anyway.

RC Enthusiast
    http://kintecracing.com/Spartan.html

I'm probably gonna order a few things from this site...

Edgemoulic, do the props you listed to try fit the stock flex cable also?

RC Qualifier
    You have your search already, Yes it will fit on the stock cable.
    Last edited by Edgemoulic; 01-24-2013 at 05:07 PM.

RC Qualifier
    BTW I don't use reverse anyway, I set my Spartan in Sports Mode, the splash guard is use for water preventing going in the hull.

RC poster
    Thanx for the links...found some cool stuff there...time to put some tuning gear...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by snowscootrider View Post
    Hi scoobydood,
    hi edgemoulic,

that's funny. sounds that Germans ask you often for help . well, guess it is warm over there...uh..cold here up to -12C.
    However the lake is big enough and not yet completely frozen.

Now I see much clearer regarding the Spartan telemetry system:

There is no speed or RPM option for the Spartan, voltage and temp only. But maybe you can have all options if a telemetry
    expander module (#6550) and the GPS (#6551) is installed. try to figure that out in the next days and keep you informed.
    I maintain my boat after each run and for sure check the flex cable.
    Prather 215 / 210 or Octure x442 is a good choice.
    Had a Prather 225 before but I guess it cooked the ESC, don't mind cos it was covered by two years warranty
    Same experience with the teflon tube, but now cut it a bit and it works great.

Really nice pics edgemoulic, like the adjustable trim tabs. Where can I get them?
    Where did you get the plate near the hatch mount? need this to prevent water gets into the boat while reverse...

There is an RPM option you epoxy a 5x5mm neodymium magnet to the top of the collet coupling and then super/epoxy the sensor wire so it sits over the magnet and bingo gone but the rpm fine but the speed is out buy loads as the boats shaft turns at 28,000 - 37,000 rpm ish i done the full Telemetry package back last year, nightmare to get the speed to work only way is the GPS and Traxxas dont have a release date yet. When talking to Traxxas last year they would do it this way too as i sent emails with pics too them as the rpm was out Quote from email off traxxas " You cannot convert RPM into MPH on a boat. The only way to get your speed would be with the GPS module."

the motor show no signs of wear yet and its had a very busy year of shows and run time and the Motor is spot on, but then after every use it gets striped down with flex stops in a bath of oil until next use and the motor get a good oil on both bearings

Photo & Video below to show it working

http://s881.beta.photobucket.com/use...anmph.mp4.html

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvtspoon View Post
    There is an RPM option you epoxy a 5x5mm neodymium magnet to the top of the collet coupling and then super/epoxy the sensor wire so it sits over the magnet and bingo gone but the rpm fine but the speed is out buy loads as the boats shaft turns at 28,000 - 37,000 rpm ish i done the full Telemetry package back last year, nightmare to get the speed to work only way is the GPS and Traxxas dont have a release date yet. When talking to Traxxas last year they would do it this way too as i sent emails with pics too them as the rpm was out Quote from email off traxxas " You cannot convert RPM into MPH on a boat. The only way to get your speed would be with the GPS module."

the motor show no signs of wear yet and its had a very busy year of shows and run time and the Motor is spot on, but then after every use it gets striped down with flex stops in a bath of oil until next use and the motor get a good oil on both bearings

Photo & Video below to show it working
    Nice pvtspoon.. I saw you post this in another thread and I think I may give it a try. I just ordered my temp sensor last night and gonna get the RPM one soon. So all you ordered was the RPM sensor wire? long? or short? and then does the magnet come with it or is that separate?

RC Enthusiast
    On the .187 you can use it without the Teflon liner, then regarding on the stock prop. I recommend Octura x442 or Prather 215
    Hey edgemoulic have you tried or heard/had anyone you kno try the TFL442 back cut prop listed on kintec racing's site?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobydood View Post
    Nice pvtspoon.. I saw you post this in another thread and I think I may give it a try. I just ordered my temp sensor last night and gonna get the RPM one soon. So all you ordered was the RPM sensor wire? long? or short? and then does the magnet come with it or is that separate?
    RPM sensor wire long and separately need to buy a 5x5mm neodymium magnet (ebay 20 per pack for 9 euros) to epoxy to the top of the collet coupling

RC Qualifier
    Scobydood so far on my lists of props were octura x442, x447, x642 Prather 215, 225 & Grimracer 55x42 those are the one I tried and tested by our co-Spartaners, I'm not sure with that props I usually experience with the back cut is slower than those pointed props, see the images below.