Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    I also do think that the bearings play an important role in the durability of the diffs. When the bearings start to wear and the play increases the gear mesh will suffer from this and start to wear. In my case the bearings were completely destroyed, and the bearing balls got between the gears, the results speak for themselves.. lol . That's one big advantage of 1/8 diffs, they have much larger pinion bearings, usually 16x8x5 instead of 6x12x4, that's a huge difference in strength. I'm also thinking about getting some Boca bearings for my diffs and motor, do you have ceramics?

I'm running with my slipper 1/4 from fully tightened and with badlands by the way. I try to be as smooth as possible with the throttle, but do like to do jumps and accelerate hard from time to time.

Thanks deanwrx!
    Last edited by WesleyK; 10-07-2013 at 10:59 AM.

RC Champion
    I have the green seal. They are best for in dirt and sand. Super silky smooth. I even have them in my tekno race truck. You can customize the kit to. Like I have rpm carriers so I swapped the tiny stocks for the rpm sized.

Posted by my Galaxy Note 2 now Free

RC Qualifier

Today I went out to try my new SMC lipos and to enjoy the nice aftersummer weather we are currently having. Unfortunately the fun was short lasted.... I always take spares with me, but the MM2 decided to stop working, and of course I didnt have a spare MM2 with me. No flash, no smoke, nothing, just stopped worked suddenly. I bypassed the switch but still no luck. It's dead . Guess ill have to send it to Castle, which will take a while considering I live in the Netherlands. Fortunately I still have a MMM laying around to use for now, not waterproof though.

The SMC batteries seemed to perform very well, I need to do some further testing but it felt like I had more power than with my 25C gens ace batteries. The power always was instantly available, very impressive.

RC Champion
    My MM2 gave out twice now but it came back tho.

Posted by my Galaxy Note 2

RC Qualifier
    Do you mean that it started working again after a while?

I also have no spark at all when I connect my batteries, really looks like a hardware failure.

Mine didn't even get wet once, so I'm guessing I just have bad luck and the ESC went bad. I'm sure Castle will solve it though.
    Last edited by WesleyK; 10-20-2013 at 04:15 PM.

RC Champion
    Yeah last time it was 2 days later I pkugged my batts in and out a few times then it started up again and has been going at least 2 months

RC Qualifier
    So... The day before yesterday my MM2 suddenly died, while testing my new SMC batteries. Luckily I had a MMM spare ESC laying around, so I mounted the MMM while I'm sending the MM2 to Castle to get it fixed. So, today, again, I tried to test my new SMC batteries. Here are the results:

I was very lucky to have the esc burst into flames right in front of me, so I was able to get the body of and to kill the fire very quickly. It looks like there is nothing else damaged, but I am afraid the receiver went bad (just like the previous time my ESC blew up) and the motor might be damaged...

RC Qualifier
    And this is what the ESC looks like... Or what's left of it..

I think its broken..

Thats what's left of the battery cables

And the bullet connectors for the motor, came straight of, had to pull them out of the motor cables.

Well, I now at least have time to remove all electronics and thoroughly clean the E-Revo.
    Last edited by WesleyK; 10-22-2013 at 08:59 AM.

RC Champion
    I guess your going with tekin. I just bought a tekin gen 2 set up for mine

Posted by my Galaxy tab 3 8"

RC Qualifier
    Yep, well lets see how they will handle this. The MMM is going back to the LHS where I bought my E-Revo, they always handle this kind of things perfectly, so I hope I will just get a new MMM. The MM2 is going back to Castle in the USA, so lets see how they solve this..

I do like the Tekin ESCs, but if they only were waterproof.. I do know you can waterproof them yourself, but when they go up in smoke your warranty is gone..

Might as well try the new Viper ESC, waterproof and sensored, but then I will have to buy a new motor too (assuming mine still works..) and I don't know anything about the durability of Viper. I just want a ESC I can trust, this is the second time in a row I have driven 1 hour for a nice bashing spot only to go back home after 15 minutes.
    Last edited by WesleyK; 10-22-2013 at 09:25 AM.

DOH smoked two ESC, with your new 3s??
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    Yep, thats the right word. 2 ESCs, both within 15 minutes of driving. The MM2 last Sunday, the MMM a few hours ago.

Oh, didn't mention this yet, but THE SMELL of burned ESC... Its terrible

Have you called Castle I am interest in what they had to say. What was your gearing? Wondering about the motor too?

RC Qualifier
    I'm running 20/54 with the stock 2200KV E-Revo motor, I have been running 20/54 for a while now, without problems. Temps always stay below 80C.
    There were a lot of dogs at the place where I was, so I had to find a spot without dogs first, when I did find a quiet spot I did some speedruns on 60% throttle or so, the sand was too loose to go faster than that. One minute later after some more driving around and some small jumps it suddenly stopped and went up in smoke. So heat couldn't have been the problem I think.
    I will send Castle an email and report back, English isnt my native language and my pronunciation isnt the best, hehe.

RC Qualifier
    ouch! What do you think caused that?

edit - I see you kind of already answered that.

Heat could be it, but Badlands (lite tire), 20/54 gearing not to over geared. I have run 21/54 & I know Craig is.. and not to hard on the throttle...

Motor??

RC Qualifier
    Motor seems fine, just measured the coils and I measure <2 ohms each coil. So no real shorts or open connections. I will do better measurements(kelvin measurments) when I'm at work, to eliminate the resistance of the measuring probes and get the real resistance of the coils.

I don't think heat caused this, the fan on the MMM wasn't even on just before it went up in smoke.

well bummer man. hopefully the lhs gets your mm replaced.
    X-Maxx Max6 | EB48.3 | ET48.3 | Axial Grave Digger

RC Qualifier
    Yep let's hope so.
    Looks like it's time to learn to spray a body too, my stock body has been melted near the roof and near the ESC.. Also feels like it's easily going to crack where the body has been heated.

What do you guys think of the Pro-Line slipstream body? Or maybe a buggy body?

RC Champion
    I have the slip stream, its pretty sweet and I cut out the vents. Ive flipped over a few times and there are no cracks, its for sure better than stock.

There is a water proof case for the rx8, but water only ruins the trucks anyway. The rx8 will handle more power and its got a much better bec, easier to program aswell just just plug into the esc and not the rx wire

Posted by my Galaxy tab 3 8"

RC Qualifier
    I just spoke with Danny from SMC, and he confirmed my thoughts. Those 60C SMC batteries actually are TOO strong for some (bad batch)ESCs if you push them. The resistance of the cells is so low, that you can go beyond the limits of your ESC. I run 20/54, with badlands, but apparently that was more than my MM could handle.

Makes me wonder what I want to do when I receive my ESCs back... Sell them and get something else, or adjust my setup.. But I don't know if changing my setup will be enough.
    Last edited by WesleyK; 10-22-2013 at 11:48 AM.

RC Champion
    It shouldn't matter. The esc should only draw as much as it needs to. I've used and know people that have used 100c batts. All the batteries in my trucks 300 amp and up. I usually use 6500 65c, thats easy over 400 amps. In my mmp truck thats rated for 60amps. It loves the 65c batts. I have some 50c 5600s that I may end up selling and just use the 6500s

RC Qualifier
    You're right on that. But it could be that my MMM was an older generation and the MM2 was from a weak batch(wouldnt surprise me, I ALWAYS have bad luck with this). Those weak links were fine when using my 25C packs, but apparently 60C was too much.
    Last edited by WesleyK; 10-22-2013 at 11:48 AM.

the more amps the better the ESC will only draw what it needs. But in the old days (few years back) I have read a number of times pep switching to 3s & the ESC goes up in smoke. I don't buy into the "a bad batch of ESC". I do believe there are a few that just plain fail... tho.. Kind of another reason it stick with 2/2s, but I'm getting the itch to get another set of 3s. Hahaaa
    Need to look at 5s, but have to charge each battery buy it's self, I parallel charge.

RC Qualifier
    Almost forgot, my tires are done also. Noticed this before my esc went bad. Seems like the gorillatape has found its way out through the tire?! I cut the excess tape away but I certainly need new tires . This time i'm going to be sure that I overlap my tires with tape.

RC Qualifier
    ^^ haha. Nice growth you got there on your tire. Don't feel bad, my Phaltlines that were taped with double-sided carpet tape came undone. That stuff lost all its adhesiveness. It was just goo. lol

I'm trying something new. I glued a piece of fiberglass cloth to the inside of the tire. I'll post pics later. I'm hoping this is a permanent solution.

RC Enthusiast
    Same thing happened to my MMM 1st run out of the box. I was absolutely devastated, & have never run the Traxxas 3S Lipo's since, worried that the lipos may have been to blame. Truck did not even run 10cm, smoke straight away. Traxxas were rediculously terrible to deal with, and provided no warranty as it was 5 days outside the 1 month warranty period. Traxxas refused to take into account the 2 weeks shipping time, & I will not purchase another item from them again. Castle were absolutely awesome though, & replaced it free of charge, "even" though they did not need to. I feel sorry for castle having to put up with the likes of traxxas. I will be interested to hear how went with you esc's, keep us updated, as this is a great build!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksammy View Post
    Same thing happened to my MMM 1st run out of the box. I was absolutely devastated, & have never run the Traxxas 3S Lipo's since, worried that the lipos may have been to blame. Truck did not even run 10cm, smoke straight away. Traxxas were rediculously terrible to deal with, and provided no warranty as it was 5 days outside the 1 month warranty period. Traxxas refused to take into account the 2 weeks shipping time, & I will not purchase another item from them again. Castle were absolutely awesome though, & replaced it free of charge, "even" though they did not need to. I feel sorry for castle having to put up with the likes of traxxas. I will be interested to hear how went with you esc's, keep us updated, as this is a great build!
    I believe Traxxas don't warrant the ESC & Motor in their Castle Creations powered cars for the simple fact it's not their ESC & Motor, they buy from Castle and sell in their cars. I was lead to not expect warranty on Castle products from Traxxas, outside the warranty or not.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Enthusiast
    Castle electronics are warranted by traxxas for one month, castle warrant their electronics for 12 months. I purchased my NIB emaxx with a defective part, & paperwork to say 12 month electronics warranty, with their website stating 1 month. When traxxas 1st started powering their cars with castle, castle warranted the electronics for 12 months. Then traxxas took over warranty a short time before I purchased my emaxx, & made it 1 month. 5 days out of warranty, and they would not back their product. Even after I explained I was Australian, & shipping was 2 weeks alone. I think any person who had paid for a NIB $800 emaxx would feel unappreciated as a customer in the same circumstance as myself.
    Last edited by Darksammy; 12-22-2013 at 04:32 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I have Castle ESCs in both my trucks and haven't had any problems touch wood, I hope it stays that way because posting ESCs from Australia to America will be a pain for warranty

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Qualifier
    The beast is alive again
    Both of my ESCs were replaced. The MM2 was replaced by Castle, and the MMM by the European importer of Castle products. So it's running fine again now . I hope we can get some snow here anytime soon, I would love to do some snow bashing with the MM2 (and outerwears, just in case).
    I also plan on finishing my hybrid bulks, but I haven't got many time lately, and I don't think that will change anytime soon, unfortunately.

RC Racer
    Wesley, I PM'D yoy

Sent from the LiPo power of my Note 3!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by WesleyK View Post
    Last sunday i was cleaning my Revo and checking some bearings. After removing the front skid plate i noticed something what seemed to be a crack in the front bulkhead. And yep, after disassembling i found out that my complete bulkhead had cracked. Don't know how it happened but a new front bulkhead is on the way...

While I was busy disassembling the front bulkhead i figured i could check the whole rear section too, to inspect and clean everything. I noticed that my rear bulkhead was not lining up correctly, there seems to be a gap between the two parts. And i cannot push them together. Is this normal? I guess not. Also, how do you part the two halves, they are stuck together and I'm afraid of breaking them lol.

Chassis is feeling very naked right now ^^:

Tell ya, that's the forest-bashing ... not healthy ...
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5633691

RC Qualifier
    Where your temps good before the MMM broke?
    E-Revo Brushless Edition

RC Qualifier
    Yep, no problems with the temps. Especially since both ESCs were barely stressed when they went bad. The MM2 just stopped working after 10 minutes of slow driving. The MMm caught fire after 10 minutes of slow driving and 1 minute of hard driving.

RC Qualifier
    That's just really annoying....
    Do they repare it for free?
    How long is the warranty by the way?

EDIT:
    Just saw you use Badlands yourself.
    Do you like them and do they wear fast on the street?
    Did you tape them?

Sorry for all the questions...
    E-Revo Brushless Edition

idb the warranty is one year.. on the Motor and ESC..

RC Qualifier
    The MMM was replaced by the LHS where I bought the E-Revo. The MM2 has been replaced by Castle under warranty. Yep, warranty is one year.

I love my badland tires, they perform well on about every surface. After some hard driving on the street you can see some wear on the treads, it looks and feels a bit gritty. But after one year there is still enough tread left as I use them mostly for off-road.

I did tape them with gorilla tape:

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the help!
    I hope you will get the MMM or MM2 back fast!
    E-Revo Brushless Edition

RC Racer
    Any bulkhead progress?

Sent from the LiPo power of my Note 3!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast