RC Enthusiast

PLZ Help, Shaking, Grinding, and Needs Help to Take Off

ok I have been dealing with this problem for a little while and I do not know what is causing it hoping someone else has had this issue.....

After bashing for a while, I let the truck come to a stop or make a sharp turn & slide to a stop. After that I try to take off and it doesn't do anything really just shakes and makes a low grind noise. I give it a little push with my foot while gassing and it takes right off. My gears look good and my 4x4 bar is still in tact but its like the gears arent meshing right or something but I have checked and rechecked....... What am I missing?

Thanks for any and all help

RC poster
    Have you been in water lately? If so, check your RX box...you may have gotten some water in...I had a truck that would stutter due to electrical failure from a wet RX!

RC Enthusiast
    No water, just a dry grassy soccer field. Did do some jumping on the baseball field pitcher mound too.

Do you really have to push it with your foot to get it going? Give it some throttle without pushing it with your foot and post what is happening.
    Rusty / EMBE / P4de / Teton / Vorza / SRD250P

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by caughron01 View Post
    ok I have been dealing with this problem for a little while and I do not know what is causing it hoping someone else has had this issue.....

After bashing for a while, I let the truck come to a stop or make a sharp turn & slide to a stop. After that I try to take off and it doesn't do anything really just shakes and makes a low grind noise. I give it a little push with my foot while gassing and it takes right off. My gears look good and my 4x4 bar is still in tact but its like the gears arent meshing right or something but I have checked and rechecked....... What am I missing?

Thanks for any and all help
    The calling cards of a bad esc or at least one on the fritz. Both my stock esc's gave this symptom before I got the dreaded red light blink. Welcome to the velineon eperience, we've all been there and it sucks.
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2000kv
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2100kv

I would ring traxxas and see what the guys can do for you it may need to be replacedhope you get it sorted......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Mine did that when the bearing in the motor failed. I'd strip it and check.

...When you take the motor out check the chassis rolls free with no binding too...then spin the motor see if there is any binding/grinding there.
    Last edited by o0wiz0o; 02-22-2013 at 07:04 AM.

RC Champion
    Is it cogging? My truck coggs terribly at low speed and takes almost half throttle to get it to move.
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Pede Pede View Post
    The calling cards of a bad esc or at least one on the fritz. Both my stock esc's gave this symptom before I got the dreaded red light blink. Welcome to the velineon eperience, we've all been there and it sucks.
    +1 on what pede2 said. Seen before. call Traxxas.

RC Champion
    If the connectors for the motor wires are a little loose, or the metal is showing, they could be barely touching and shorting out. This is doubtful, but it is something to check.

RC Enthusiast
    Well I am thinking about getting a better motor and esc anyways I found this on ebay, would this be sufficient?
    castle esc and motor combo on ebay

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by clmarek1 View Post
    Do you really have to push it with your foot to get it going? Give it some throttle without pushing it with your foot and post what is happening.
    Yes I really have to give it a push, while giving throttle. I will try to get this captured on video.

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    Is it cogging? My truck coggs terribly at low speed and takes almost half throttle to get it to move.
    Yes its at low speed and when taking off at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    If the connectors for the motor wires are a little loose, or the metal is showing, they could be barely touching and shorting out. This is doubtful, but it is something to check.
    Yes the connectors do have some bare metal spots, although I do not think they touch but it could be possible. I will tape them off.

Im not gonna waste my time calling traxxis as this is deff. out of warranty. I would rather just upgrade the motor and esc.

RC Qualifier
    Yes I really have to give it a push, while giving throttle. I will try to get this captured on video.
    Yes its at low speed and when taking off at times.
    Yes the connectors do have some bare metal spots, although I do not think they touch but it could be possible. I will tape them off.
    Im not gonna waste my time calling traxxis as this is deff. out of warranty. I would rather just upgrade the motor and esc.
    The warranty on the electronics is limited lifetime warranty. That means it doesn't run out, but you pay about half for a replacement. My LHS honors it at a slight fee. Swapping out an ESC is $65 and you walk out with a new one for your old one that's dead.

RC Enthusiast
    I still think I would rather save the money and just upgrade rather than replace

RC Qualifier
    Well I am thinking about getting a better motor and esc anyways I found this on ebay, would this be sufficient?
    castle esc and motor combo on ebay
    Do not buy that setup, the kv rating on that motor is way too high and you'll run into issues.

Some folks use this: Note THIS IS NOT WATERPROOF!
    http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../csec0090.html

Others use either of these listed here:
    http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...a_monster.html

Personally, I use a 1/8 scale setup on my slash that I got from the "king" which cost me $113 with express shipping and enjoy not paying double for a system that works just as well as others. Working great so far and my truck stays cool but the summer time will reveal if I have to gear down or not. Do some more research on those I linked you but be ready to spend more money if you buy anything other than what is in the first link, you'll need higher voltage batteries, metal CVD's and a good charger at the very least. There's still the need for a metal motor mount, metal bearing adapter, etc.

I would also advise against a velineon replacement, use the money for a better setup.
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2000kv
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2100kv

RC Enthusiast
    ok I finally was able to get it out and capture some video of what it is doing....

1st video is the problem-

2nd video kinda shows how the wire rubber is peeled off in some spots and my blinking red light-

All i can say is get it replaced with traxxas or upgrade it with castle,tekin,tenshock or something that can make the type of power you want ....peace

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    All i can say is get it replaced with traxxas or upgrade it with castle,tekin,tenshock or something that can make the type of power you want ....peace
    So you think its an ESC issue?

RC Qualifier
    That would be my guess.... or receiver but i doubt that seeing as it responds to steering and throttle still.

RC Qualifier
    you should send it in if under warranty and sell what they ship you back and buy a 1/8 scale 120a waterproof sc8 esc and a tacon or tenshock motor. myself as well as spenniepoos can vouch for the quality and performance/power that these motors and escs have. Far superior to the vxl in every aspect.

Blazer is so on the money sell up the vxl and get your self some power and say goodbye to overheating and hello to fun.....peace.....ps i am very cheesy

RC Enthusiast
    Could you hook me up with a link to where I can get the best setup... I am still a noob at this and don't want to order the wrong things. I want to do a motor and esc upgrade but I want the best bang for my buck. Thanks so much for the replies. I am ready to upgrade tired of stalling.

RC Champion
    Wp-sc8 esc and a tenshock sc401 motor is popular.
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Qualifier
    well are you on a tight budget?
    If so I would suggest this
    http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126830
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m214-367...FZEWMgodq2cAwg
    Dont let the low price fool you. This motor is crazy crazy fast. Comparable to castle's 2400kv. On 3s it wont run as cool as the tenshock but nothing some cheap fans wont fix. I have 2 of these motors and I love both. Standing backflips all day geared for topspeed not torque so that says something about the power.
    I got my hobbywing wp sc8 esc's on ebay. Both from usa sellers. The first one i ordered was $68. The next one i ordered was 2-3 weeks later and cost $78. So that means the price is going up for the usa sellers. Its like $50 if you get it from hong kong.
    If you want to run the tenshock i suggest the version 2 since its advertised to run cooler than v1.
    The tenshock is 4 poles rather than 2. Which is better but the motor costs almost twice as much as the 2 pole tacon.

Heres an sc8 tenshock combo and the next link is just the tenshock motor

http://www.funshobby.com/index.php/p...IPPING%29.html

Both motors are beast. Both motors are better than stock. They both have 5 mm motor shafts so you cant use your stock pinion because it wont fit the motor shaft.

I cant speak for the tenshock but i know the Tacon 3674 2800 kv requires upgraded driveshafts like mips or teknos or something similar because the power (atleast on 3s. Not on 2s I have one that runs 2s and is all stock driveshafts and it hasnt broke one yet)

Either way you wont be disappointed.
    Let us know what you pick!
    Last edited by blazer; 03-11-2013 at 10:33 PM.

With any of those combos you will have a beast on your hands and geared right no temp problems just lots of fun.you can pm me if you need any help dude.....peace

yeah, if your esc is still under warranty i would send it in and try to get it replaced even if you plan on upgrading to a different set up. you could use the vxl-3s on a new build or something. (maybe a two wheel drive) the fast blinking red light i thought was supposed to mean the esc was overheating but i'm guessing that is not the case if you can't even get it going.

If you recently bought the p4de i would be all over traxxas to replace the defective esc. i think ive said this earlier in the thread but ive had esc's replcaed that were a few years old for free from traxxas. its one of the reasons i keep getting their products rather than some other rc companies. they are the bashers delight. tons of easy to find parts and thier customer service has always been above par when ive dealt with them.
    Rusty / EMBE / P4de / Teton / Vorza / SRD250P

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer View Post
    well are you on a tight budget?
    If so I would suggest this
    http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126830
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m214-367...FZEWMgodq2cAwg
    Dont let the low price fool you. This motor is crazy crazy fast. Comparable to castle's 2400kv. On 3s it wont run as cool as the tenshock but nothing some cheap fans wont fix. I have 2 of these motors and I love both. Standing backflips all day geared for topspeed not torque so that says something about the power.
    I got my hobbywing wp sc8 esc's on ebay. Both from usa sellers. The first one i ordered was $68. The next one i ordered was 2-3 weeks later and cost $78. So that means the price is going up for the usa sellers. Its like $50 if you get it from hong kong.
    If you want to run the tenshock i suggest the version 2 since its advertised to run cooler than v1.
    The tenshock is 4 poles rather than 2. Which is better but the motor costs almost twice as much as the 2 pole tacon.

Heres an sc8 tenshock combo and the next link is just the tenshock motor

Both motors are beast. Both motors are better than stock. They both have 5 mm motor shafts so you cant use your stock pinion because it wont fit the motor shaft.

I cant speak for the tenshock but i know the Tacon 3674 2800 kv requires upgraded driveshafts like mips or teknos or something similar because the power (atleast on 3s. Not on 2s I have one that runs 2s and is all stock driveshafts and it hasnt broke one yet)

Either way you wont be disappointed.
    Let us know what you pick!
    No budget, pretty much an open wallet..... Really want to keep it under $400 prefer to keep under $300.... Other than that I am all over it.
    Thanks for the links I will check them out.

Also Thanks for the tips on calling Traxxas I will do that Friday and report back on what they say, I still want a Motor Upgrade though.

RC Enthusiast
    ok I contacted Traxxas and sent in my ESC and Motor for replacement, Total cost was $90 for both with shipping. Not bad at all, turns out for sure it was the ESC because shortly after I posted these vids the ESC went up in smoke.

Should be out driving again mid to end of next week they said.
    Last edited by caughron01; 05-10-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Its good to know that you will be back up and running soon dude........peace