Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    RC Champion
    I FOUND IT .....my camera. so here comes some content

first off that axle carrier I had a while ago. that snaped on me when I was using the 7.5" tall tractor like tires. turns out is broke in three pieces

okay I had waterproofed my speed control a while ago to. got it wet a couple of times. and is still working fine...... but what I found surprised me . this big ol rust spot\/

right in front of the capacitors.........

in the end I guess it wasn't as sealed as I had thought......... still working ,green throttle led is shot ,missing diode beside the switch terminals, and this corrosion. still going strong but will be demoted for the mmm2 some day

FOURTH PAGE
    Last edited by reod12x2; 04-04-2014 at 08:27 AM.
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

Wow ouch....
    I am still gutless into making my own waterproofing , I will look at your the post again and see if I will go that way.
    I had the strangest break the other day, the front axle broke, not very fast speed but hit my sons pede head on.... the crazy thing was, I just lectured both kids on how not to drive and do...even though the trucks are now more or less bullet proof...
    Have a great day...heading off to a hobby shop now
    Live life to the fullest

RC Champion

Part 2

so I got the esc and cleaned up and found a better way to mount it. and route the motor wires to. between the body mount and shock tower

now to the current stuff that you guys are probably wanting more then the other stuff.....

so yesterday the machining teacher got in the two taps that I needed for the chassis. a m3 and a m2.5. but in a miscommunication I didn't get the aluminum stock I need for the battery stops. in the mean time I decided to make the battery stops a little shorter from 3/4" to 1/2". I also have decide to go with two m4 screws to hold them down instead of three m3 screws. although I probably wont reach 80mph due to the platform. but I would like the battery stops be able to handle a crash. since these chassis's and components are a one off....back on subject I got one chassis threaded. I still need to do 5 hole on each chassis for the front stock skid and rpm slash skid.

so yada yada........ I got it driving yesterday . servo taped the battery to the chassis then servo taped the esc to the battery and the receiver to the chassis. took it out with the masher tires installed . and a half charged battery. runs amazing. no oil in the shocks made for a scale drive feel. pickup was awesome couldn't wheelie to much due to not being used to the chassis and being that I have no shell and about 1"x1/2" piece of servo tape holding the battery on which has the esc mounted to it lol.

so here it is.

still have to drill holes for the stock and rpm slash skid plat to go on. and also mill down about 1/16" into the chassis so the rpm skid can sit flush with its reinforcing stand off.

RC Champion

part 3

thats funny jezza funny when stuff like that happens ex... I can do this= fail. or I can go this fast and the lvc kicks in. but now that I think of it I think my one front drive shaft is bent. I had put on one of the 17mm hex hubs and had noticed it wobbly.

and a continuation of last post

again not much servo tape holding everything on but it worked until the last turn then I noticed the battery and esc beside the chassis instead of in the chassis

shell should be coming in on the 16th. and others parts are going to be after easter
    still looking for some lexan paint I can find all of Tamiya but not very much spaz stix
    Last edited by reod12x2; 04-04-2014 at 08:58 AM.

work of art...whats the weight of it set up now.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Champion
    don't even know. it is a lot heavier then stock but that is a given.
    the shocks are hold the chassis up. but it doesn't take much to start to compress them

also 3500 views

RC Champion
    got back from machining class the teacher had a m4 tap laying around which is awesome that I don't have to wait or pay for it to come in. and the aluminum stock.....got in contact with the metal shop and they said that they will fax the teacher on Monday with a quote for the stock.... but saying that now that I have a m4 tap im thinking of going 1/2" thick instead of 3/4" thick so im going to have some left over. if I get a 3/4x 3/4x 4" cut.

also I had forgotten to take a picture of the battery strap mounts. im currently down sizing them for the second time.. first time it was to tall/ couldn't do a dual pin design. this time to make it smaller and lighter and to be able to work with the m3 tap better. origionaly I wanted to just thread the entire length of the mounting holes but since the tap isn't long enough due to design I decide to have the threads meet in the middle. since the bottom half is going to have the mounting screw in it and the top half is going to have the pin holding grub screw that is going to intersect the threaded hole.

here they are. the back one is 1.002" high and the 2 front are .701" high. with a thickness of a 1/4" and the thinnest part on the mount is currently at .3" and is going to be milled down to .175" thick since all its going to do is stop the twisting torque of the screws being tightened.

This is shaping up nicely Reod. Are you going to drill holes in the chassis to lighten it up a bit, or leave it as-is for more strength.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    I am currently not sure what im going to do for lightening it up. I know I could mill out the front where it mounts to the bulkhead since I have about a good 3/8" thick peice of aluminum I could remove.............

RC Champion
    okay im not liking this setup.......I need more power.

tried the chassis out last night again using a fully charged lipo and was only able to do one wheelie I don't know if im supposed to be happy that I can now hammer it as hard as I like or sad that I cant rilly wheelie any more. even with the slipper clutch locked out running 23/83 gearing and no temps above ambient.

other then that it is working out to be an awesome truck specially with the mashers adding the drift when pegging it aspect to it.

Are you going to try your MMP on it with a 3s or more.....
    Must be awesome on the handling though...how is it in comparison to one of your many builds on jumps etc.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Champion
    I tried jumping it about a foot but it bottomed out both on take off and landing. but I currently don't have any shock oil in the shocks......witch makes it to scale. both in chassis movement and handling. and I like it the way it is sept im going to add some 20 and 25wt to the shocks. since mostly what I do is street running and off road without jumps. compared to the old pede it seems to be a boat. floating through water. that bottoms out when trying to jump

ya with the power system im aiming for will replace the system I currently have. but in the mean time my 2s doesn't supply the amps any more....if I peg it from a stand still and the tires have proper grip it just jack rabbits. but if the tires are lose upon take off it spools up no problem. I would like to try a 3s on my 3800kv setup but I don't want to invest $$ in one when im going to be getting a 4s

RC Competitor
    WTH happened to the Red Summit thread? Ok who took it? That's it I am going to the pede thread and gunna spam Summit pics!
    Your not having fun unless you break it!

RC Champion
    rofl I now realise I have went off topic

but I still find it funny about what you said

Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    I must apologies for going off topic delete my reply's as needed
    -from the show me your red summit

RC Competitor
    Reod, the rust spot in your ESC might actually be from the sealant you used to waterproof it. Most RTV contains acetic acid which can cause corrosion, electronics grade RTV does not.

RC Champion
    I used the liquid electrical tape.(and in it contains acetone) would that do it?

but also wear the rust spot was. there was this opening. like something try'ed venting out.

RC Champion
    I got the shell in.

came a week early.....but now that I have the shell in my hands Im thinking of a different layout still going for chrome ,black and orange . make the bumpers chrome the side skirt orange and the hood scoop orange. then do some translucent orange with the black as a backer for the window tint.

also I got some gears in a 86t spur for the summer heat and a 76t spur for a speed test.

also I currently charging up my battery for a torcher test. since the pack is about 2yr old I think its time to get hard on it..... im going to a parking lot not to far away and am going to see how the system handles being geared at 23/76. which works out to a .3 drop in the drive ratio. I will also try my best to get some running video for you guys
    Last edited by reod12x2; 04-09-2014 at 08:12 AM.

RC Champion
    body mounts!

hey guys im trying to figure out a body mount option for the hpi body.....I was going to use what I had(m/j front / 2wd slash rear) but I flipped the truck and pretty much road rashed the pin holding portion down to the body stop.

oh ya ive had my truck geared 23/76 for the last couple days and so far so good nothing to high for temps and the 2s lipo seems to be waking up again.

RC Champion
    alls well. found a mj body mount set in the spar parts bin .so front is the front m/j body mounts set outwards. and the body mount mounted in front of the shock tower. and on the rear I have the front body mount posts . set to the inner position.
    mods I want to do to the shell is the basic shoe goo and dry wall tape. with some flex seal on the rear box area for more protection or that bed liner look.

and the chassis. finished on the battery mounting blocks. so those are out of the way now. then the aluminum stock for the battery stops should be here on Tuesday. as of now. on the chassis all I have left to do is mill down 1/16" for the front rpm slash skid plate stand off to be used .and then drill holes for the battery hold downs ,battery stops and receiver box.

after that clean the chassis with denatured alcohol to remove the taping oil from the threads and polish the snot out of it till I can see my reflection. my guess about 2 weeks time and I should be up and going full time with the chassis's.

It looks awesome buddy can't wait till its done!
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    me to

nice to see you back here kd

RC Champion
    hey guys almost done just got about 12-20 holes to drill .and I gotta tap the rest of the battery stops since I snaped the m4 tap in one of my battery stops. should be done the drilling by this week. and have the pins/screws/misc and the m4 tap soon to finish off the truck.

Great news,
    He reod12x2, what turnbuckles and camber buckles did you use for your extended FLM arms 1/8 24200.
    I was never really satisfied with mine even though I have tried the FLM ones, the long VXL stampede/slash 5539 for the front camber and e-revo push rods as turnbuckles....looking at different options.
    Thanks
    Live life to the fullest

RC Champion
    ..........m

sorry jezza I don't have the flm extended arms just the pro line protrak. but in the future in going to go with Lunsford turn buckles. and they have varying length instock. so there is an option. but to be honest I had forgotten about the slayer pushrod mod. just going to go the easy route right now.

RC Champion
    eh guys been a good month since ive been on here for a update.

well I got the shell painted up I did 2 coats orange 1 coat red behind the orange and a coating of flex seal for a backing/black
    it was still wet and unsticker'd when I took the pic's since then the paint has gotten darker

and in the past month or so I have pretty much destroyd my rear end, finishing off the stock shocks, blowing out 4 drive shafts and stretching the rpm transmission to uselessness. so with that being said im whipping up a list of parts to buy. first up im going to start with a R.E.M. transmission. then a couple traxxas and rpm parts to add to it,

Backward tires work well for you?
    This space reserved

That orange theme looks good. Yeah I had the mashers on backwards too for a while , great grip....on dirt roads (in fact this was because of a discussion with a guy at the lhs who claims the chevrons on the rc run better back wards), I like it forward, digs well into the dirt and less resistance, at leas so I feel when driving.

Have the mashers now on the MT slash 4x4 and they are great ....handles the way I like them even on track.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Champion
    so guys back to the hospital with the pede.

I got it up and running again on the cheap side ......I put on the 17mm hex hubs and bigger tires.tires that turned out to be awesome drift tires. so I ended up drifting into a curb and had a sorta dead stop..........chipped a 3.2"rpm rim, sheared the camber rod in half, bent the steering rod, cracked the a arm and to finish it off I ben the stub axle. perfect drift thought before the crash.

so I think im going to call it quits on the build....just until I have enough money to build it up again with TI rods and aluminum bits

RC Champion
    looks like im coming back to the pede.

put down an order for some gtr shocks from dollorhobbyz.com. and am wrapping up what I need to get for the front end today. I will report back when everything is in

Quote Originally Posted by Thefixxer73 View Post
    Backward tires work well for you?
    ya at the time the street out front was under construction.....so the having them on backwards was the difference between doing a wheelie or not......

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    the chevron treads mounted forward are self cleaning in muddy situations. Backward, they usually get a little better traction on most other surfaces...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Champion
    hey guys havnt had the time to wright up an update....

I got all the parts in, setup and going. hopefully have time this week to post up the pic and do an up date.

Been wondering where you are at on this. Looking forward to more pictures.
    Slash 4x4
    Stampede 4x4
    Stampede 2WD

RC Champion

update : back and running

hey guys here it is

this is when I was running the "drift" tires didn't. last to long ended up drifting into a curb at close to 45mph with a dead stop.... parts loss: front stub shaft bent, p-l a arm cracked, bent p-l steering tie rod , sheared the camber rod, cracked a chunk out of a rpm revolver rim. all on the same front right corner

since then I rebuilt it all up got some TI camber and steering links and new tires

[/URL]

RC Champion

update : back and running part 2

I got the gtr shocks from dollar hobbys. right now they are perfect for the weight of my stampede. for people thinking of these shocks....go for it. you will need 6-m3x16mm screws and the hollow balls from your original shocks. but just for the from a-arms since traxxas went with the flanged hollow balls for these shocks.

when I have more time I will post up my parts list. but for now im going to write about parts that I have brok so far.....on day one a cracked a rpm revolver doing some light jumping. my guess is because I took off the outer bead ring to make them beadles for the trenchers

then in the same week I lost one of my wheelie bar wheels. brok off after I did a 1-1/4 barrel roll
    and I hit a curb head on......poped my new servo saver apart.

other then that im loving the truck so far. nice and solid feeling

That looks pretty sweet reod! I just got back on the forum after a long absence.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    What kind of rims and tires are those and what kind of adapter's did you use to make them fit. Thanks, Alex

RC Champion
    old yellow the hubs are the 17mm hubs from traxxas....rims are the rpm 3.2" revolvers with the outer bead rings removed.. with PL trenchers stretched over to fit.

eh wish I could do more to update this thread......
    right now I have on order some more parts
    -Lunsford TI rear tie rods-(truck decided to hit a curb again)
    -kimbrough 124 servo saver
    -X-ray Velcro strap 20mm x 300mm for future 4s use
    ------
    -Hot Racing x-long aluminum slipper pads
    -HR anodized slipper back plate and pad holder

should be here in the weeks and hope to update sooner then later

RC Champion

another kick at the cat.

well I'm coming back to beat on the pede again. I don't know if I'm going to play with the aluminum chassis this time or not( just need holes drilled and tapped). but I will be giving it something. in the works I'm planning on picking up a new shell, servo, 2s lipo. and touch up on some other things that I'm yet not aware of.

as of right now I'm aim for a old beater look/drive feel. to a sleeper. something car like and 2.2" tires instead of the 2.8"

RC Champion
    report:

ordered a savox 0231mg waterproof servo. waiting for begoracing.com( smc's Canadian supplyer) to restock smc's 2s 6500mah lipo. then the parts count. need a rear shock tower, tie rods/rod ends, slipper pads.

other then that should have it all cleaned, relubed and back together for final parts count by tomorrow afternoon.

and as for my shell choice I'm going with a hpi scion fr-s bodie(#108064) and color I'm unsure off probably red or white/red or black/white/red

monster coupe! still don't know about wheels.... will prolly keep the 2.8" mashers on, unless there is a cheap set of pre mounts at the lhs. but most likely not.

RC Champion
    stopped by the hobby shop today and ordered the shell and.... I came to a choice on wheels. I going to use the rims from the vxl trucks and stretch proline's 2.2" trencher T's(4.1" high by 2.1" wide) over them. win win I keep the 2.8" rims. and get a low profile tire wich should be better at speeds if its anything like putting a 2.8" over a 3.2" rim.

repot back in a week or two when I get the majority of my parts

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast