Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Wow, that thing is a beast! I've been reading through this thread and it's given me great ideas for my slash which im currently trying to get ready for the desert for riding season
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Champion
    Your bump stops may have been to long. on real trucks they are about 1inch of bump stop for every 10 inches of travel. My truck is the red and white one.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 96motorhead View Post
    Your bump stops may have been to long. on real trucks they are about 1inch of bump stop for every 10 inches of travel. My truck is the red and white one.
    Ok gotcha. I made 1 of those L-brackets mounts that you have on yours. What oil have you found works the best?
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Champion
    I use 55wt oil. But you have to get the aluminum bodied 1/16 e revo shocks or they will blow open and leak.

RC Qualifier
    Alright cool, I'll take a better look at it tomorrow. Have you ever thought about putting internal springs? Maybe from a mini-t?
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Champion
    I friend has a mini desert truck. I think they springs are to big for the mini revo shocks.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 96motorhead View Post
    I friend has a mini desert truck. I think they springs are to big for the mini revo shocks.
    Alright, it was just an idea. I'll work on it.
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    Here's a video that just sums up my build thread. It goes over a lot more detail than I could explain in words. This is for those who were really interested to see how I actually built this thing and what it looks like now. Hope you enjoy:

#customrctrophytruck

RC Champion
    Thanks for the vid, again! I watched it last night on youtube, I can't get over the amount of travel in the rear....
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Thanks for the vid, again! I watched it last night on youtube, I can't get over the amount of travel in the rear....
    No problem sean, I'm glad you enjoyed it!
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    Here were two cool shots I got from last weekend at the beach.

#customrctrophytruck

Dang, this thread is amazing! You could make those and sell them for big $$$!! I would buy one! Heck, I know a lot of people that would want one!
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Racer
    I'd buy one to i 400$ as roller!!
    Yes I do have a Traxxas...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Dang, this thread is amazing! You could make those and sell them for big $$$!! I would buy one! Heck, I know a lot of people that would want one!
    Thanks wolf. I actually thought about selling them, but them I remembered how much work I put in just to make one lol. I'm going to put out a build guide so people can build there own.
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    Had fun with the truck at the trails this past weekend. Still performing great, now I just need my new body and tires!

#customrctrophytruck

Man your fab skills are off the chainKeep up the awesome work bro................peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Awesome scratch build dude......

RC Racer
    Awesome awesome build XC! The videos are sick! What video editing software did you use for the slow motion shots?

RC Champion
    It's such a great looking rig!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys for the compliments, now I'm tearing it down and getting it ready for it's next run!

#customrctrophytruck

RC Champion
    I still love the look of the travel of the rear end when it gets air.... The way it drops and leans in the corners, it looks like a full size truck..... once again.....GREAT JOB!!!
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    Amazing truck!

RC Qualifier
    Man it's been a while. Nothing has really been going on with the truck since the axle link broke, but it's time to get it running again. I'm either going to buy the replacement parts or find another alternative...

I don't know if any of you guys follow BITD or Baja racing, but I want to share that BJ Baldwin won he second Baja 1000 yesterday. He did all 850+ miles without a driver change, pretty crazy! This is his primary race truck("Rampage" SPD chassis), the one I based my build on is more of a show and testing truck now("Fedor" NSP-1). What do you guys think of his new paint scheme?

#customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    Thats awesome! i think you should contact him once your done and show him what you have made. He might even want you to build him one!

RC poster
    Very Cool Build! Nice Work.
    www.facebook.com/HiPoJoeCharles

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys, made a couple changes so I'll be making an update soon.
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Champion
    Can't wait to see'em....

RC Qualifier
    i lost this build thread some time ago... the last time i read through was like page 3......... and holy cow dude!!! this is crraaazzy!!!

well done, bravo, good move to you, sir!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CyconXc View Post
    Man it's been a while. Nothing has really been going on with the truck since the axle link broke, but it's time to get it running again. I'm either going to buy the replacement parts or find another alternative...

I don't know if any of you guys follow BITD or Baja racing, but I want to share that BJ Baldwin won he second Baja 1000 yesterday. He did all 850+ miles without a driver change, pretty crazy! This is his primary race truck("Rampage" SPD chassis), the one I based my build on is more of a show and testing truck now("Fedor" NSP-1). What do you guys think of his new paint scheme?

i actually used to follow it alot. actually raced in southern California also got to pre-run san felipe once. never raced in something as nice as BJ's truck but my brother and i used to race a class 5-1600 Baja limited and also got a chance to do a couple laps in a 7s ford ranger with 425whp. also got a chance to ride in a Robby Gordan Built pre runner thing was a beast like a trophy truck but with the luxuries of a regular truck AC, radio windows stuff like that. i miss those days now i just run my slash 4x4 ultimate lol.

RC Qualifier
    Say goodbye to the old bottom chassis, going to be making a new one this weekend. It's going to be much cleaner now that I know the exact layout that works the best. You can also see that I cut the slit too thin when I bent the front skid plate piece lol. I'm excited, it's going to look a lot better.

#customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Godspeed View Post
    i lost this build thread some time ago... the last time i read through was like page 3......... and holy cow dude!!! this is crraaazzy!!!

well done, bravo, good move to you, sir!!
    Haha thanks it's changed a little, every time I think it's finished I have to change something lol
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by unreligion View Post
    i actually used to follow it alot. actually raced in southern California also got to pre-run san felipe once. never raced in something as nice as BJ's truck but my brother and i used to race a class 5-1600 Baja limited and also got a chance to do a couple laps in a 7s ford ranger with 425whp. also got a chance to ride in a Robby Gordan Built pre runner thing was a beast like a trophy truck but with the luxuries of a regular truck AC, radio windows stuff like that. i miss those days now i just run my slash 4x4 ultimate lol.
    That's really cool man, never talked to someone on an rc forum that's done the real thing! It's been my dream to go for a ride in a trophy truck... You should definitely consider making one of these with you experience, I'm sure you have some secrets I would never think of!
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CyconXc View Post
    That's really cool man, never talked to someone on an rc forum that's done the real thing! It's been my dream to go for a ride in a trophy truck... You should definitely consider making one of these with you experience, I'm sure you have some secrets I would never think of!
    I would love to go in a ride in a trophy truck. Granted my family has a sand rail it still would be different as the truck has a solid rear axle and rail has independent suspension. I live your build and would love to have one like yours.

RC Champion
    Looks great! Sticking with the plastic bulkhead?

RC Qualifier
    Looks great! Sticking with the plastic bulkhead?
    Yeah I'm gonna stay with the plastic one. I have an aluminum one here but It makes the front too wide with the Protrac arms. I'm ordering a new bulkhead to re-cut and try this plastic fusing glue I found, should work a lot better than just CA glue.
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    Alright guys I got the new chassis done, I wasn't in a rush because I'm waiting on some parts. This cut of metal was really nice and it came out clean. For this one I decided I'm going to mount the bulkhead directly to the main chassis, and for that reason I also decided to keep the bulkhead the stock width. The camber geometry before was messed up becuase the inner mount sat further out than the hinge pin. Now I won't have to worry about that or the chance of my glue bulkhead breaking.

Tomorrow the new grey bulkhead, top plate, Protrac front tower and EXO light bezel should be here, so that's when I'll get it all put together!

Plenty of clean space to layout everything, you can also notice here that I moved back the battery to prevent nose-dives.
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Champion
    What screws are you using? Traxxas or some other brand?

RC Qualifier
    What screws are you using? Traxxas or some other brand?
    I'm going to be using ProTek M4 screws and nylon lock nuts for everything attached to the chassis, don't want anything to fall apart!
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    Wow that looks great! I didn't expect to see another chassis built! Why not use the aluminum bulkhead you have there? Also, did you just use a dremel to cut out the middle part in the back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by seanycool View Post
    Wow that looks great! I didn't expect to see another chassis built! Why not use the aluminum bulkhead you have there? Also, did you just use a dremel to cut out the middle part in the back?
    Thanks, I knew all along that I would need to make a 2nd one. I mainly wanted to get rid of the old slice cheese chassis and make a new one that actually fits this frame. Now that I've experimented with the old one I know the best place to put everything.

I do want to use an aluminum bulkhead, it's just that the red one doesn't match the theme at all. At some point I'll be getting a gun-metal STRC one.

The back of the chassis was cut with the same angle grinder, I just had to be very careful not to cross hatch the two edges.
    #customrctrophytruck

Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast