Results 1 to 40 of 40
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    571

    Need help guys! Can't decide which lid...

    I finally cracked the rear mounting point on the stock stampede 4x4 vxl body so whenever I put the white plastic washer and a pin, they both fall off after every single bashing session.

    I'm now choosing between the Proline F150 raptor or the Jconcepts F150 raptor body. Just can't decide which lid to get.

    Which is tougher and more durable? Also, which of the crystal clear polycarbonate body is thicker? I want one that could last for a long time since I am planning on getting it painted myself. This is will be my first painting project!

    Let me know guys. Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    RC Champion dgudenau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,176
    I'm sure some will disagree, but I have had much better luck concerning durability with jconcepts shells opposed to pro-line's. The first pro-line shell I bought cracked around the body mounts during the first run with mild bashing. To be honest, I do like the look of the pro-line shell better, but for bashing, I would go with jconcepts.
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by dgudenau View Post
    I'm sure some will disagree, but I have had much better luck concerning durability with jconcepts shells opposed to pro-line's. The first pro-line shell I bought cracked around the body mounts during the first run with mild bashing. To be honest, I do like the look of the pro-line shell better, but for bashing, I would go with jconcepts.
    I was also leaning towards the jconcepts F150 raptor... Looks better than the proline F150 raptor, but what I'm really after is durability and thickness because when I bash, I bash realy hard.

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Liverpool, New York
    Posts
    545
    I would do the Shoe Goo and Dry Wall Tape on any and all bodies to make them last longer or for crack repairs.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by ramflames View Post
    I would do the Shoe Goo and Dry Wall Tape on any and all bodies to make them last longer or for crack repairs.
    That's a good idea as well (Saw Jang's videos), but this is a mounting hole on the body that became a lot bigger. Anyways, once I apply them and let it dry, I cannot drill a hole through the drywall tape since shoe goo does not harden. It just dries up and becomes flexible. Shoe Goo and Dry Wall Tape are good with cracked bodies that do not require any drilling after to create a new hole for the body mounts.

    We'll see. I might try it to see if it works. If not, I'll just get a tougher lid this time.

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Liverpool, New York
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    That's a good idea as well (Saw Jang's videos), but this is a mounting hole on the body that became a lot bigger. Anyways, once I apply them and let it dry, I cannot drill a hole through the drywall tape since shoe goo does not harden. It just dries up and becomes flexible. Shoe Goo and Dry Wall Tape are good with cracked bodies that do not require any drilling after to create a new hole for the body mounts.

    We'll see. I might try it to see if it works. If not, I'll just get a tougher lid this time.
    See, Now, I've done just that with Shoe Goo and Dry wall tape. I use a Tappered or a stepped drill bit through the Shoe Goo and if needed, clean up the hole with an Exacto knife with a #11 blade. Works great every time...
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    319
    vg racing roll cage all day

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    319
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Roll-Ca...item5aee71cc7e

    bodies fit right over it no problemo

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by ramflames View Post
    See, Now, I've done just that with Shoe Goo and Dry wall tape. I use a Tappered or a stepped drill bit through the Shoe Goo and if needed, clean up the hole with an Exacto knife with a #11 blade. Works great every time...
    Cool! Might have to try it then. Thanks for the advice man.

    Btw, do you have any experience with the Proline F150 raptor or Jconcepts F150 Raptor bodies?

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer View Post
    vg racing roll cage all day
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Roll-Ca...item5aee71cc7e

    bodies fit right over it no problemo
    D@mn! Didn't know they made a roll cage for our trucks. Wow, it that looks good in BLUE too!

    Hmmm, lemme think about this one...

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    571

    For those who love jumping... Springs question.

    Wrong section...

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    319
    I have one in red and its by far my FAVORITE part on this truck. For a few bucks more they have a package that comes with stiffer springs to support the little extra weight..

    My rollcage came with my stampede 4x4 when i bought it on craigslist... I did break a weld yesterday on an 8th scale track..the tab that the 2 screws hold the cage to the chassis(but keep in mind i have no idea of how old my cage is and I dont know its history. It looked pretty bashed up when i got it a couple months ago...like really bashed..Its old no doubt)
    I personally have crashed hard enough to where i thought it was going to be broke and it was fine.
    Also i have an 8th scale motor/esc xduty mips and trenchers on desperatoes with a giant lipo pack so my truck is heavyyyyyy.
    I called vg racing and they will fix the broken weld for free! =] (there number is at the bottom of their ebay postings)
    I was going to buy another one if the wouldnt... welding shops i called charge a $25-$30 minimum
    Last edited by blazer; 02-25-2013 at 09:46 PM.

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    319
    they have more colors. check em out on ebay

  14. #14
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer View Post
    they have more colors. check em out on ebay
    Is it just for stock body's or do the proline and j concepts f150s fit as well ?

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer View Post
    I have one in red and its by far my FAVORITE part on this truck. For a few bucks more they have a package that comes with stiffer springs to support the little extra weight..

    My rollcage came with my stampede 4x4 when i bought it on craigslist... I did break a weld yesterday on an 8th scale track..the tab that the 2 screws hold the cage to the chassis(but keep in mind i have no idea of how old my cage is and I dont know its history. It looked pretty bashed up when i got it a couple months ago...like really bashed)
    I personally have crashed hard enough to where i thought it was going to be broke and it was fine.
    Also i have an 8th scale motor/esc xduty mips and trenchers on desperatoes with a giant lipo pack so my truck is heavyyyyyy.
    I called vg racing and they will fix the broken weld for free! =]
    I was going to buy another one if the wouldnt... welding shops i called charge a $25-$30 minimum
    I actually went to the VG racing website and cannot find any stiff springs since there was no description whether it was stiff or not. I really want some stiffer springs so that my front end will stop slapping the ground after a landing.

    I am really tempted on getting a rollcage. I have to look for a used one first since a brand new one carry a hefty pricetag.

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by pa2pla View Post
    Is it just for stock body's or do the proline and j concepts f150s fit as well ?
    my proline chevy 2500 body fits. so im assuming most stampede 4x4 TRUCK bodies...

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    319
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Roll-Cag...item5d3ad1ec70

    same rollcage as mine but this one comes with the HD (HEAVY DUTY) springs

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer View Post
    I have one in red and its by far my FAVORITE part on this truck. For a few bucks more they have a package that comes with stiffer springs to support the little extra weight..
    Are these the stiff springs:
    http://www.vgracing.com/mm5/merchant...de_Springs_4x4

    Or this:
    http://www.vgracing.com/mm5/merchant...R-Stampede_2x4

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Roll-Cag...item5d3ad1ec70

    same rollcage as mine but this one comes with the HD (HEAVY DUTY) springs
    Shiet! I can't look at the price.

    I'll try searching for a used one for now...

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    Shiet! I can't look at the price.

    I'll try searching for a used one for now...
    good luck... ive never ever seen a used on for sale.

  21. #21
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by ramflames View Post
    I would do the Shoe Goo and Dry Wall Tape on any and all bodies to make them last longer or for crack repairs.
    I agree here. I bought a Jconcepts raptor body, but that body will be my 'Sunday driver' body. I'm going to keep repairing the stock body as long as I can so I can bash the crap out of it.

  22. #22
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northeastern CT
    Posts
    235
    Agree I have a proline F150 body cracked in 3 mins of my first run with it. I have it all Goo'ed and taped now. But going to try the JC's next time for sure


    Quote Originally Posted by dgudenau View Post
    I'm sure some will disagree, but I have had much better luck concerning durability with jconcepts shells opposed to pro-line's. The first pro-line shell I bought cracked around the body mounts during the first run with mild bashing. To be honest, I do like the look of the pro-line shell better, but for bashing, I would go with jconcepts.
    Stampede 4x4 vxl w/ MMP/2400kv, Mini E-Revo

  23. #23
    RC Racer clmarek1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    157
    It sounds like you are looking forward to putting a pickup body on your p4de but have you considered a rustler body. i have the jc concepts f-150 raptor rustler body on my p4de and i think it looks pretty cool. where the bed is they make it look like it has a roll cage so it still has that fast back body look. if you want to check one out mine is on the pic gallery. its one of the newer posts and should be on the last page.
    Rusty / EMBE / P4de / Teton / Vorza / SRD250P

  24. #24
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Salisbury, NC
    Posts
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by clmarek1 View Post
    It sounds like you are looking forward to putting a pickup body on your p4de but have you considered a rustler body. i have the jc concepts f-150 raptor rustler body on my p4de and i think it looks pretty cool. where the bed is they make it look like it has a roll cage so it still has that fast back body look. if you want to check one out mine is on the pic gallery. its one of the newer posts and should be on the last page.
    Did it require any mods to fit the pede?

  25. #25
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    Did it require any mods to fit the pede?
    +1!

    I like that body as welll, but want to know if you did any mods to make it fit clmarek1.


    EDIT: I went to see the pic gallery thread. Mods were done to the make the jconcepts f-150 raptor rustler body fit on 4pede chassis. The second pic with the Trenchers look really good!
    Quote Originally Posted by clmarek1 View Post



    Trenchers!
    clmarek1,
    The first pic above shows that you created one mounting point on the rear and made the two mounting holes on the front closer together. I was wondering why you moved the two mounting holes closer on the front? The two holes on the sides look like you used a stampede body mount.

    Here's a better pic of the rear with a modified mounting post for those who want to know:
    Quote Originally Posted by clmarek1 View Post
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 02-26-2013 at 01:04 PM.

  26. #26
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. spenniepoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wales in the UK
    Posts
    6,462
    And also use the traxxas body washers by shoe gooing them on the body first before you use your drywall tape ....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

  27. #27
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    And also use the traxxas body washers by shoe gooing them on the body first before you use your drywall tape ....peace
    Good idea man!

    Thanks!

  28. #28
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. spenniepoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wales in the UK
    Posts
    6,462
    Thanks man it works a treat for ages and i do it to all my bodys......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

  29. #29
    RC Racer clmarek1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    157
    I removed both of the body mounts from the shock towers. Then cut one of the body posts so it was shorter. I drilled a very small hole in the middle of the rear shock tower to mount the shorter post. For the front I used metal battery posts and the screw holes that were used for the front body mount.

    The other holes that you see on the front of the body are from it being mounted on my rustler. I guess I could have done something to use all the original holes but it was just way too easy to use those batt posts in the shock tower. Not to mention that body is thrashed. The back end is tore and various areas are starting to rip off (road rash, etc...)

    I really love my rustler (it is my first hobby grade Rc) but want the benefits of a 4x4. So when I saw jang's shapeshifter I thought "wow!, that is really cool. I should give that a try".

    I'm glad you guys like it. I hope to see more rusty 4x4's. One of these days I'm gonna build a truggy out of it.
    Rusty / EMBE / P4de / Teton / Vorza / SRD250P

  30. #30
    RC Racer clmarek1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    157
    Another thing to think about for mounting different bodies: if you remove the body mounts from the shock towers there are 4 screw holes that you could easily put battery posts in. i used a body post on the rear shock tower due to the shape of the body. but on a different body it may be an easy mod. and it doesn't require any drilling, cutting, etc. (although i know there are more than a few out there that love to cut, drill, sand, and totally mod the heck out of your rc's).
    Rusty / EMBE / P4de / Teton / Vorza / SRD250P

  31. #31
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Perham,mn
    Posts
    70
    Anybody know where u can buy just the battery posts

  32. #32
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeorood View Post
    Anybody know where u can buy just the battery posts
    You could find some here
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...+POST+&search=
    Drive it like you stole it!

  33. #33
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. spenniepoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wales in the UK
    Posts
    6,462
    You need two set of traxxas battery post product no.3727 and four 3mm locking nuts job done....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

  34. #34
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Perham,mn
    Posts
    70
    Thanks got them ordered

  35. #35
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. spenniepoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wales in the UK
    Posts
    6,462
    No worries man its a super easy mod and looks sick ......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

  36. #36
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    65
    The mounting point of my body cracked as well so what I did was to buy some round felt pads, those u use to stick onto the bottom of the chair legs to prevent floor scratching. I cut small circular holes on it so the body posts will fit it and pasted the pad onto the outer body holes. This prevents the body pins from cutting through the soft plastic body. It does great IMO. I tried with the body washers but its not flexible enough. The felt pads are either made of cloth material or rubber so its quite flexible and can be pasted quite firmly onto the body. The only problem for me is I used white felt pads and it makes the body ugly. I would recommend using black felt pads for looks unless u have a white body of course.

  37. #37
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    65
    [IMG][/IMG]

    A Pic of what I did. Looks Ugly but does the job well.

  38. #38
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. spenniepoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wales in the UK
    Posts
    6,462
    Nice mod dude i love the ideas of all the guys on here come out with lets keep it up guys......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

  39. #39
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Nice mod dude i love the ideas of all the guys on here come out with lets keep it up guys......peace
    Thanks spennie...I guess this is what the forum is all about. You've helped me so many times. We're all learning something new each day.

  40. #40
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bexhill, England
    Posts
    434
    a spare bit of lexan and shoo goo can work too!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •