RC Qualifier

Metal or steel spur gear

Good or bad?
    and reasons for your answers.
    Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Personally, I like running a plastic spur. While metal spur gears can create more noise, I find it's not always the case. For me, while using a plastic spur I feel like I get more life out of my pinion. Finally, if something is to go wrong, I'd rather destroy a plastic spur gear then potentially destroy both a metal pinion and spur. There's no real "evidence" to prove one a vastly superior than the other, they both have their pros and cons. I choose plastic.
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2000kv
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2100kv

RC Champion
    If you decide metal, use some chain lube on the gear mesh before u run.
    Everything overpowered...

Quote Originally Posted by Pede Pede View Post
    Personally, I like running a plastic spur. While metal spur gears can create more noise, I find it's not always the case. For me, while using a plastic spur I feel like I get more life out of my pinion. Finally, if something is to go wrong, I'd rather destroy a plastic spur gear then potentially destroy both a metal pinion and spur. There's no real "evidence" to prove one a vastly superior than the other, they both have their pros and cons. I choose plastic.
    +1 if a metal spur goes wrong it will cost so much more and if a plastic one can handle a 2200kv motor why go metal.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Plastic fantastic....I'd cry if I spent 40 on a Metal Spur gear and that to got damaged.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer View Post
    Good or bad?
    and reasons for your answers.
    Thanks
    Bad. Plastic gears are cheap and last a long time if you set the mesh correctly. If you make that part stronger (the designed in weak/cheap part), you're going to break the next weakes part which is likely to cost a lot more to replace. Plastic gears can take a lot of 3S when you've got everything set up right. If you're breaking them quickly, look for the root cause.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    Bad. Plastic gears are cheap and last a long time if you set the mesh correctly. If you make that part stronger (the designed in weak/cheap part), you're going to break the next weakes part which is likely to cost a lot more to replace. Plastic gears can take a lot of 3S when you've got everything set up right. If you're breaking them quickly, look for the root cause.
    +1 the "next weakest part" principle. Stick with nylon spurs or you'll puree your gearbox...
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot