Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    RC Enthusiast
    didnt even realize STRC made one. thanks

RC poster
    I purchased Slash 4x4 platinum edition. My output for the rear drive shafts, there's a lot of slop coming from the plastic bell end of the cup. When I installed mip x duty drive shaft I noticed the slop. The other end is tight without slop. I identified part #5381. I'm hoping its just a bad egg, so to speak. I'm convinced it came from the factory that way. All of the gears inside are good. I've ordered replacements 5381.

How about aluminum differential cases from Hot Racing?

I knew the slop was bad, but what's happened is that wiggle makes it's way down to wheel end the metal hex on my MIPs wiggles and strips the plastic hex inside tires. Two new, good tires have been ruined. The tread and tires are still awesome, but useless if inside hex is rounded.

I hope new diff cases solve the slop and save my tires. Any suggestions or comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Axsion-Jaxn View Post
    I purchased Slash 4x4 platinum edition. My output for the rear drive shafts, there's a lot of slop coming from the plastic bell end of the cup. When I installed mip x duty drive shaft I noticed the slop. The other end is tight without slop. I identified part #5381. I'm hoping its just a bad egg, so to speak. I'm convinced it came from the factory that way. All of the gears inside are good. I've ordered replacements 5381.
    Did you check your bearing on that side? If it's gritty/seized, the diff will be forced to spin in the bearing, which will melt/damage the plastic housing.

I knew the slop was bad, but what's happened is that wiggle makes it's way down to wheel end the metal hex on my MIPs wiggles and strips the plastic hex inside tires. Two new, good tires have been ruined. The tread and tires are still awesome, but useless if inside hex is rounded.

I hope new diff cases solve the slop and save my tires. Any suggestions or comments?
    I've never seen a wheel get damaged in a metal hex because of a rough driveshaft. It almost always happens because of a loose wheel nut or too tight of a slipper clutch setting (and a lot of power). I'm not saying it didn't happen to you, it just seems less likely than the other reasons.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    Did you check your bearing on that side? If it's gritty/seized, the diff will be forced to spin in the bearing, which will melt/damage the plastic housing.

Yes I did check the bearings. It just seems the diff cup has a hole that allows too much wiggle of the output shaft. The hole opposite the gear end. The wiggle goes down the left rear drive shaft.

I've never seen a wheel get damaged in a metal hex because of a rough driveshaft. It almost always happens because of a loose wheel nut or too tight of a slipper clutch setting (and a lot of power). I'm not saying it didn't happen to you, it just seems less likely than the other reasons.
    I had also checked the wheel nut. It did not seem to be loose when I checked. I regularly check most fasteners before and during use. I know that's a possibility. Thanks for your input.

Do you have any feedback or knowledge about aluminum or maybe an RPM version?

You may actually want to check the MIP shafts. I have had that wiggle. It was that I was a little sloppy with the Loctite. It got into a joint and didn't allow for the full movement. I took it apart, cleaned it and put Loctite on it more carefully and the problem went away.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    You may actually want to check the MIP shafts. I have had that wiggle. It was that I was a little sloppy with the Loctite. It got into a joint and didn't allow for the full movement. I took it apart, cleaned it and put Loctite on it more carefully and the problem went away.

I ordered two Traxxas diff cups. At install, the plastic end held the output tightly. After a day of use, maybe three packs, all the same wiggle is there. Are my mip x dutys too much for these diff cups? I can always check the grub screws and Loctite as you suggest. It just seems like the wiggle is originating from the plastic end of the diff cup. The metal end supports the output shaft very securely.

I'm considering Fast Lane Machine, they make aluminum diff cups and other upgrades for the Slash 4x4 LCG. Has anyone used FLM parts?

I ordered two Traxxas diff cups. At install, the plastic end held the output tightly. After a day of use, maybe three packs, all the same wiggle is there. Are my mip x dutys too much for these diff cups? I can always check the grub screws and Loctite as you suggest. It just seems like the wiggle is originating from the plastic end of the diff cup. The metal end supports the output shaft very securely.

I'm considering Fast Lane Machine, they make aluminum diff cups and other upgrades for the Slash 4x4 LCG. Has anyone used FLM parts?
    For a good read...

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...P-X-Duty-Users
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

I like those...especially the cup, even though it can't be seen...I'm sure its a little sturdier than the plastic cup. Can't make myself spend that much on spiral gears though, so may have to keep using the straight stock ones.
    Last edited by NitroBugg; 01-19-2019 at 01:52 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    You know what? Tightening the grub screws and some locktite did clean up a lot of that play. Thanks

You know what? Tightening the grub screws and some locktite did clean up a lot of that play. Thanks
    You are very welcome! I have done exactly what you did. It is is a quick and easy fix
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011