RC Enthusiast

best brushless motor/esc combo speedwise???

Thread title pretty much sums it up, I'm thinkin about making my p2de vxl into more of a speedster and less of a basher (looking at p4de vxl for bashing), want to find something reasonable priced bit also wondering if id get the same results with just a different esc and a 3s lipo on my vileneon 3500? I know this has been asked fiftyleven times already and I've probably seen the best answer already but just want to be sure, I'm trying to polish the newb off just need some tips lol

RC Qualifier
    The mamba max and the 2400kv motor (the bigger 1/10 one) would be great in your pede
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Qualifier
    Have you tried 3s with the VXL system? It's fast. It's hard thing keeping it on the floor. And that's with out playing with gearing.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-17-2013 at 08:46 AM.

RC Racer
    Castle 3800 4 pole on 3s geared at 25/83 in my lowered pede is about 55/60 mph, on 2s about 38 mph.
    The SV3 4600 combo would be faster on 2s on the same gearing but would get HOT on 3s,
    The larger 2200,2400,2600 are good motors but heaver, you also have to step up the ESC to a mmp or MMM , also you would more batteries to push the motors, the 22,24,2600 motors run on 4 to 6s lipos.
    I have the mmp/3800 and love it, fast, smoothe, and runs cool geared high.

RC Enthusiast
    I've been hearing alot about the mmp 3800 what's the cost on that set up?

RC Enthusiast
    Anyone out there running any tekin motors esc's or combos? I was hoping for something waterproof but haven't found many aftermarket set ups that are waterproof

RC Racer
    I use 11.1 volt 3s on my VXL system with changed gearing and it is quick. Just gotta watch temps.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The VXL 3S system is CAPABLE of running 3S but it usually ends up getting very hot, very fast.

You really need to decide just how fast you want to go. Im assuming your running the VXL system on 2S right now. I run this setup in my pede also and I like the speed. If you want to go faster, the best cost/performance compromise would be the castle 3800kv combo with an MMP ESC. It is capable of 3S if geared reasonably (it will be out of control fast though) and on 2S can be more than fast enough to wheelie at pretty much any speed.

If you want to spend a bit less and stay waterproof you could look at the 3800/SV3 combo but that ESC, while rated for 3S, would likely have some trouble with heat if you ran it hard on 3S.

THere are other systems out there you could look at and other motor/ESC combos but these are ones that will fit and work in your truck with just a single 2s or 3s pack.

RC Enthusiast
    That's the issue I'm having now with my stock vxl set up with stock gearing on 2s,,, called about warrantying the motor from traxxas and got a 3rdru degree run around so I'm lookin to go a different route, stuck between wanting a castle mmp 3800 combo or something from tekin if I can get some feedback about the product and how it would perform on my p2de

Texas, ChevronPhillips Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    The best combo in a small package the the Castle MMP controller. Really nice small footprint. It is water resistant, meaning it can take a splash of water, I wouldnt push it though. Pair it with the 3800kv motor and you will see some nice speeds on 3S. You can pair the same controller with the Tekin motor lineup, and plug into the MMP's sensor port.

If you plan on making it a speedpede, most people don't actually use them for anything else. So waterpoof isnt needed. You will be changing and tuning it for speed runs (only) basically. I'm talking drooping the suspension where it practically rides mm from the ground. You will need weights on the front end to keep it from wheelying to. Also a set of treads just for speed runs possibly, maybe something street. Depending on what you get you will need to tape the insides, as anything over 35+mph will start ballooning crazy (aka pizza cutters).

Now if you just want to get speed out of the way and just do a couple speed runs to get that moment of satisfaction, totally understand what you are aiming for then. Then I would understand why you would need a WP ESC. Some of the easist routes are to go with something with a lot less COG happy, better know as LCG. Something like the Rustler is a good choice. It takes a little bit of time to get the pede done just right, which many have done. I'd hit up Pavmentsurfer, he's one of the speedpede gurus.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    I want it to go faster but still have the ability to handle the terrain where I live, going to fit the pede with the protrac kit some different tires and new motor esc setup and roll with it that way, still want to be able to handle some jumping but not the bashing I've been doing with it, do want to get that moment you mentioned for speed but still have fun with it

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pede_bashe_nube View Post
    I want it to go faster but still have the ability to handle the terrain where I live, going to fit the pede with the protrac kit some different tires and new motor esc setup and roll with it that way, still want to be able to handle some jumping but not the bashing I've been doing with it, do want to get that moment you mentioned for speed but still have fun with it
    How fast is fast enough for you? Mmp/3800 is good for 60+, easy. Then change gears to bash and jump. I think I paid about 175 for mine.

RC Enthusiast
    I think I'm going with the mmp/3800, $175 is lower than anything else I've found out there

RC Competitor
    Mamba monster 2200 6s lipo

RC Enthusiast
    Stock p2de only 1a battery slot

RC Qualifier
    For $139.00 I got a Hobbywing SC8 waterproof ESC, Tenshock V2 sc410 3800KV brushless motor with program box. ESC and motor run cool with 17/90 gearing on 3s Lipo. I call It STUPID FAST!
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Enthusiast
    Not bad there may have to look into that 1to as well

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    You can have the best of both speed and bashing ability without changing gearing if you go with the Castle Creations Mamba Mac Pro Esc and 2400kv (1415) motor on 3s lipo. I run 3 of these combos and they can be geared to easily hit 45-50mph and bash using the same gearing without temp issues and with insane amounts of torque as well. Keep in mind that my HR P2de XL weighs in at 8lbs, (stock pede weight = 4.6lb) so in a close to stock weight and stock length pede, this combo is downright hairy and throttle control skills and top notch drivetrain upgrades are extremely necessary.

I have also ran the Tekin Rx8 Esc & Pro4 3300 combo on 3s lipo and it is a very impressive system as well. it's a little smoother at low speeds than the castle 2400kv combo above due to it being sensored, and also puts out an insane amount of power. A sensored motor is not very practical in a 2wd pede though because the motor is very exposed on these trucks, leaving the sensor wire very vulnerable. When it comes down to the prices of these Castle & Tekin systems, this is where Castle gets the win. The Tekin system has a crazy steep price and may be better suited in a racing application, but for all out power in a 2wd pede without breaking the bank, Castle is the way to go. Just my 2
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for your input Baldy, I didn't know how pricey tekin was but I'm going to end up going with a castle either 2400 or 3800 just not sure which 1 yet,

Thanks for your input Baldy, I didn't know how pricey tekin was but I'm going to end up going with a castle either 2400 or 3800 just not sure which 1 yet,
    In a stock size Pede I'd go with a 3800kv motor. In an extended or heavier Pede the 2400kv is the bomb. The 3800 is just a good all around motor, very torquie and fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    That's the 1 I'll be going with digger, and the mmp esc
    Keep it SQUATCHY

That's the 1 I'll be going with digger, and the mmp esc
    I promise you won't regret getting that combo. Only thing I wish they'd offer the MMP in waterproof. Maybe they will soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah that'd be nice, we don't get alot of water here anyway so I'll make out just fine lol
    Keep it SQUATCHY

RC Qualifier
    I'm with Raminflames. SC8/Tenshock is the best value out there, makes foolish power, is absolutely reliable, has a good BEC. Everybody likes Castle, but from my experience, both as a Castle owner and as a LHS employee, the Hobbywings have better power handling capability, run cooler, have more tuning options, and are less likely to require warranty repairs. Those Tenshock motors are insane power monsters. Make sure that you have some high C batteries, or they will magically expand.

RC Enthusiast
    I'll keep that in mind also
    Keep it SQUATCHY

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin01020 View Post
    Castle 3800 4 pole on 3s geared at 25/83 in my lowered pede is about 55/60 mph, on 2s about 38 mph.
    The SV3 4600 combo would be faster on 2s on the same gearing but would get HOT on 3s,
    The larger 2200,2400,2600 are good motors but heaver, you also have to step up the ESC to a mmp or MMM , also you would more batteries to push the motors, the 22,24,2600 motors run on 4 to 6s lipos.
    I have the mmp/3800 and love it, fast, smoothe, and runs cool geared high.
    1) I have a vrx, the 1/10 xxx sword, ad i have an hobbywing motor 4300kv 9t and a 60a reg. I would know if it is a powerful motor.
    2) can you advice me some powerful motors that don't cost too much? I'm looking for a motor which goes 50-60 mph on 1/10 xxx sword, but i dont want to spend beyond 120$. If i buyed a powerful motor ( like 2300 to 2600kv ) could i use the 60a regulator?
    3)may you please explain if my motor is powerful and say me some good motors to add on my car? And if you adiviced me some motors could you say me if they can go with the 60 regulator? Thank you