RC Qualifier

Who's using RPM true track?

I have a new erbe and decided to pick up the RPM true track rear... Needless to say I have stripped 3 of the axle carriers trying to get the pillow ball holders in.

Anyone else have any issues? I called RPM and sent them a check for 2 new axle carriers and proceeded to strip those. I got to think the little aluminum screws that go in to hold the pillow balls are jacked up.

Anyone notice a real difference running the RPM true track over stock setup? Starting to think its just not worth it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That work good.
    I take a large hex that fits. Try taking the carrier off the car with the pillow balls in. Easier to thread them in when you can turn them around and watch when it starts crossthreading. Start the threads and when it starts crossing take the wrench and straighten it out and continue threading

I used the traxxas holders, no issues at all with them. Loving the true track, it makes a big difference offroad in handling and overall fun factor.

Sent from my Torch!
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Racer
    I put true track on m T-Maxx and I love it. But ya threading in the pillow ball holders was a pain.

Like 50 said, watch it while it's threading in and when it gets crooked put pressure on the wrench and straighten it out.

My brother messed his first couple threads up too, but I was able to thread it in with a lot of pressure on the wrench to keep it straight.
    T-Maxx 3.3/E-Maxx/30th Digger/1:10 Summit/Rustler

Mine took me forever to get the pivot ball caps in...every time I saw it cross thread I would back out and do again. I got mine in all 4 arms without stripping.

I don't use true tracks as I like to have the flexibility to adjust toe angle still. RPM arms were a worth while upgrade for me.
    Last edited by MITCH316; 03-30-2013 at 06:13 PM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    Oh I feel you!! They are the biggest pain in the butt.
    ERBE/JATO 3.3

RC Qualifier
    Well I feel better. I have literally destroyed 3 axle carriers and am really done with the true track I think.

I am going to call RPM on monday to see if they will do anything but if they don't I may have a set minus one axle carrier for cheap.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    That work good.
    I take a large hex that fits. Try taking the carrier off the car with the pillow balls in. Easier to thread them in when you can turn them around and watch when it starts crossthreading. Start the threads and when it starts crossing take the wrench and straighten it out and continue threading
    I attempted to do this with the axle carriers off the car and just can't get them to thread straight.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just take your time. Keep turning the carrier looking for any crossing and use the wrench to straighten it

RC Competitor
    I have the true track and installed it with no problems & love it.
    Founder of the Mini Monsters RC group

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by tjtoed View Post
    Well I feel better. I have literally destroyed 3 axle carriers and am really done with the true track I think.

I am going to call RPM on monday to see if they will do anything but if they don't I may have a set minus one axle carrier for cheap.
    Shoot me a PM if you have to end up selling them cheap.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

I use them on my Erbe and my T-maxx and absolutely love them. They do make a difference. Fortunately, I never had any problem with pillow balls cross threading. Guess I was lucky
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Champion
    I had them on my Emaxx and Tmaxx, and they are now going on my Erevo.

Any RPM carrier the pillow ball cup screw is tricky to get in the first time. I love my True tracks a lot stonger than the stock set up and no turnbuckles anymore.

RC Champion
    It took me quite a few tries threading them on my E-Maxx. Patience, brother...be one with the pillow ball!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Qualifier
    Same here very aggravating at first but you will get it

Sent from my iPhone using My Thumbs
    6S OR NOTHING............................ maybe 5s

RC Qualifier
    So are there any advantages to using True Track, aside from eliminating those unnecessary rear toe links? I like eliminating the stress of setting up the correct angles of everything at the back of the car, but I also really like my Tekno axle carriers, and have heard here that RPM pillow balls have an annoying tendency to pop out...

Besides, I'm going for maximum durability, and I'm not at all convinced that True Track would offer better durability than my current setup (RPM arms + Tekno carriers + Traxxas 7075-T6 toe links).

RC Enthusiast
    Same here... I do need to say that issues with pillow balls that pop out is because they dont use the metal black rings that are on the stock carriers.
    It is not mentioned in the rpm manual, but you do need them.

RC Qualifier
    I've never had the pillow balls pop out. Use the metal retainer like your supposed to and they will never pop out

Sent from my iPhone using My Thumbs
    6S OR NOTHING............................ maybe 5s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You just take the metal rings off the stock carriers and put them on the rpm carriers. Its in my thread, got it from Craig who got it from someone else!

I just used the pillowball hardware from my stock arms and no problems threading them at all. A little patience is all it takes.

Edit- IMO having the toe links is a big loss in reliability by itself. No matter the carriers, the links are weak. Not to mention the changing toe angle that accompanies the toe links.
    Last edited by rjm2519; 04-02-2013 at 05:42 PM.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Competitor
    I installed mine after many frustrating adventures re-aligning the rear toe angles. It seemed that every 5th time or so that the truck would land hard, the toe links would jam into the plastic ends and have to be taken apart to be fixed.

The pillow balls required some patience, but not too bad. I vaguely remember some instructions that mentioned turning the pillow ball backwards slowly until you feel it "click" into the threads, then slowly turn it the correct direction to start threading it in. Patience, patience, patience..... Good luck! But I definitely think the True Track is a worthy investment for trouble free general bashing!

RC Qualifier
    Love 'em but like everyone else said, what a pain in the bottom to tread those pillow ball retainers in ...
    I was so un-impressed by that, but the toughness of the RPM a-arms is well worth the pain in my books.

RC Competitor
    Hey all! I'm somewhat reviving this old thread to give my grain of salt regarding these.
    I finished installing the True Track on my Revo after experiencing this problem myself. This thread helped me a little. I was very gentle but still managed to strip 2-3 first lines of threads ON BOTH SIDE! Hard to beleive that these are so badly done.

Anywhere, I tried the gentle way first, which was to back off when it was starting to cross thread and start over. Unfortunately this methd didn't work too well.

The second methd I tried (the one that worked) was to use a little force. As soon as I felt it was cross threading, I forced with the allen key in the opposite direction to try and pry it back in place. Of course I had to do this very intelligently without using too much force but it ended up threading itself all they way and I think it's fairly straight now.

Hopefully I wont have to undo this too often!!!

Interesting... I just stumbled on this thread. I must have got lucky as I did not have this problems. I do love the true track!!!

RC poster
    Tru-track & RPM front hubs, was a nightmare getting them pivot ball caps in... big hex t bar, soon as it starts to cross thread steer it a little to center and keep going, worked for me.

Has anybody managed to get -5 degrees camber in the front wheels without the pillow ball being only just in the arm? as per steve slayden base set up? went with lunsford titanium pivot balls, top all the way in, bottom for adjustment, retaining dust boots

RC Enthusiast
    I plan on getting the true track at some point, though my new brushless revo is still in the post atm..

RC Racer
    Thanks to this thread I was extra careful yesterday installing the true track and experienced no issues. It did get a little crooked on me, but I was able to adjust as I went. I guarantee without reading this thread first I would have messed it up... Lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I recently joined the True Track Club. I went with the blue for style!

After reading this thread's accounts of pillow ball cap difficulties I took my time and didn't experience any stripping of the threads. After a couple of bash sessions I already think the True Track (as well as the front RPM arms) has paid for itself. Even after a couple of pretty hard knocks and one gut-wrenching cartwheel across a field everything is still exactly where I set it. No more stripped toe links (happened to me the very first time I ever bumped the Revo into a curb). I'd definitely recommend the True Track to anyone who's not already convinced.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by celerystick009 View Post

After reading this thread's accounts of pillow ball cap difficulties I took my time and didn't experience any stripping of the threads. After a couple of bash sessions I already think the True Track (as well as the front RPM arms) has paid for itself. Even after a couple of pretty hard knocks and one gut-wrenching cartwheel across a field everything is still exactly where I set it. No more stripped toe links (happened to me the very first time I ever bumped the Revo into a curb). I'd definitely recommend the True Track to anyone who's not already convinced.
    Very nice! Yours looks just like mine! :-)

RC Racer

Oh and a question... I got the Traxxas hop up suspension push rods but got sidetracked and never installed after I saw something about using the optional rockers or something? Did you just swap them right in place of the stock push rods?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanleybb50 View Post
    Did you just swap them right in place of the stock push rods?
    Yes, but they aren't the right length the way you get them. I believe they are the right length for the LT rockers and one of the other progressive rocker sets. To make them the right length for the stock P2 rockers, you have to unscrew the ball ends from the original pushrods to get those blue aluminum spacers. You then have to install those spacers on the new pushrods.

If you don't want to take apart the originals or want to keep them as spares, you can also buy a full set of spacers fairly cheap:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHRB8&P=7

RC Racer
    Yes, but they aren't the right length the way you get them. I believe they are the right length for the LT rockers and one of the other progressive rocker sets. To make them the right length for the stock P2 rockers, you have to unscrew the ball ends from the original pushrods to get those blue aluminum spacers. You then have to install those spacers on the new pushrods.

If you don't want to take apart the originals or want to keep them as spares, you can also buy a full set of spacers fairly cheap:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHRB8&P=7
    Excellent - thank you!