Thread: Bandit XL-5

RC Racer

Bandit XL-5

Hello I just got a bandit and was wondering what you guys recommend for upgrades.

A little back ground the reason I got it was so I can race in the brushed motor class at the place I go. It is a gym with a rubber floor.

Thank you and nice to meet u all
    Slash 4x4
    E-Maxx

RC Champion
    For brushed, try to lower the weight and COG as much as you can. RPM a-arms will help. Remove as much excess plastic from the chassis as possible.

RPM rear shock tower is good too.

Lose the receiver box. Mount the receiver on the top of the upper chassis plate. Then, cut the sides off that chassis. Lots of weight savings.

Stiffen those shocks up. Move them to the outer holes on the a-arms, and use heavier oil. Reduce the suspension travel by using spacers/fuel tubing.

Change the plastic camber links for adjustable steel ones.

Change the wheel bushings for bearings.

Definitely get some 7.4volt LiPo batteries and a charger. Get only enough mAh level to fit your needs. Getting larger packs only adds weight.

If your radio isn't a 2.4Ghz model, then get one of those.

The 2.2" anaconda tires for the bandit will help too.
    Last edited by Jws1982; 04-05-2013 at 10:18 AM.

RC Champion
    traxxas big bore shocks and strc hinge pins with stock or aftermarket front tie bar

RC poster
    When you say rubber floor, as in like a pliable foam-style type of rubber? what is the texture

RC poster
    if its a softer rubber, i would set it up with some M3 PL suburbs all around and drop the ride height as Jws suggested.

RC Competitor
    Just like Jws1982 said: save as much weight as possible and lower it. Even get some harder compound street tyres. Get a higher voltage battery (do not exceed 8.4v if your using the stock XL-5 ESC) and maybe change the gearing if its a fairly straight and long track.

RC Racer
    Thank you for all the feed back.

How do I attach tires to the wheels? Do I use super glue or is there something special I need to get?
    Slash 4x4
    E-Maxx

RC Champion
    use tire glue. you can get the traxxas tires pre mounted so you dont have to do any gluing.

I prefer to use brand name glue. The no-name hobby shop brand isn't as good.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    For brushed racing, super glue will work fine.

RC Racer
    Ok so I played with the bandit today and wow is it a fun little buggy!
    Slash 4x4
    E-Maxx

RC Racer
    The Bandit is the most iconic RC for me, you'll have loads of fun with it, especially upgrading stuff
    PHOENIX Bandit,Summit,Funny Car,Darkrayne Rustler

RC Racer
    Hi guys,

So I raced tonight and had a motor issue, it is getting extremely hot! I was using the optional gear in the box to get more speed. After the first race I switched to the stock pinion gear and it was good acceleration but just to slow. My question is what are you guys running for a set up? And what do you do to keep the motor from getting so hot?

The track I race on is an oval with 2 straights. Not that long to get full speed for a long time but I need to be able to get going!

Thank you!!
    Slash 4x4
    E-Maxx

RC Champion
    Drop some more weight, man. You can be able to get a larger brushed motor, but it may not be legal in your race class. Higher gearing requires less weight. Do whatever you can to save ounces, even grams.

Take some plastic out from around the motor area to make more room for airflow.

RC Racer
    Id maybe try the 28 pinion instead of the 31 optional, too tall for racing.

RC Champion
    just stick with the stock gearing which i think is like a 23 tooth pinion and a 86 tooth spur. if your using nimh batteries i would switch to a 2s lipo with something like a 5000 mah hardcase with at least a 30c rating. that will give you more get up and go down low.

RC Racer
    Stock I have a 21 tooth pinion gear, I think I might get a 23 or a 25 to try.

Also really dumb question am I supposed to do anything g special to break in the motor?
    Slash 4x4
    E-Maxx

RC Racer
    Do you have an older model Bandit?, my XL5 came with 26/76 stock - and accelerates plenty fast with that set up and 2.2" wheels.

RC Competitor
    There are videos on breaking in brushed motors, I tried it once, my Titan 12T lasted just as long as the non-broken in one so I ended up buying a brushless system.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

RC Racer
    Mine is new. I was going by what the book says for the stock on I will count it after work tonight.
    Slash 4x4
    E-Maxx