RC Enthusiast

Questions on Training Mode

Hi All,
    I am new to Traxxas and so far I love my vehicles. I have both a Stampede 4x4 VXL and a Slash 4x4 VXL. Yes, I got bit hard by the bug. I am currently running both vehicles in training mode. Will this mode cause the motor to heat up more or since it will be running at 50% do I need to worry about motor/ESC over heating? Also, will this allow for a longer run time on my 2s LiPo batteries? Totally newb questions, so please donít flame me. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

RC Competitor
    I would say it would not aver heat, and thatyour battery will last longer. I am not for sure, I'm sure the more seasoned owners here will chime in on this. The only time mine ever is at 50% is when my low voltage kicks in. I like haveing the power on the lipo's.

RC Qualifier
    You are very unlikely to overheat unless you have it geared too high. Using stock gearing, you should be fine. Even in training mode, you should be keeping an eye on your temperatures with an infrared temp gun just to be safe. motor temps should not exceed 160į F or so. Anyone here will agree that a temp gun is the number one investment for RC.

You will definitely get longer run times on training mode, because there is far less current draw on your battery.

Don't forget, our driving habits affect the temperatures and runtimes, so not everyone experiences the same results.

EVERY noob has questions, don't be afraid to ask them. The only dumb question, is the one you should have asked, but didn't.
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the replies. I picked up an infrared temp gun at Harbor Freight and plan on keeping a close eye on the temps.
    Jerry C.
    Stampede 4x4, Slash 4x4, Summit, Alias

RC Competitor
    One of my sons Stampedes is in training mode, and the other son just turned his off training mode. Given the same 4600mah nimh battery, the one in training mode is getting a much longer run time. Heat has yet to be a problem for either, but we've been running in less than 0C weather.