RC Racer

Ok I got tired of the Titan motor. I upgrade to brushless

I just got tired of minor issues from the stock xl-5 motor so I bought the traxxas upgrade Velineon with the speed sensor vxl-3.

HOLY CRAP I now understand why there is a difference in these motors. This thing is no longer some what fast it is really fast and is highly prone to wheelies now. I have adjusted the slipper clutch but it still rips wheelies constantly, is there anything I can do to just tame it a little? Maybe a different pinion gear or something else?

Also I don't have any experience with this setup and in the directions it states hold the ez button down and use the throttle trigger forward until the light blinks then reverse until it blinks green? When I di the reverse it never blinks green while holding the trigger in reverse but it does blink green when I let go, is that supposed to happen?

Thanks
    Last edited by ironruger; 04-09-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ironruger View Post

Also I don't have any experience with this setup and in the directions it states hold the ez button down and use the throttle trigger forward until the light blinks then reverse until it blinks green? When I di the reverse it never blinks green while holding the trigger in reverse but it does blink green when I let go, is that supposed to happen?

Thanks
    Congrats,
    I think you just have to re-read it. I noticed that you cannot leave your eyes away for even a little bit, in case you missed out the blinking. I had no problems setting to 70/30. (look into it again, should be fine) and I set mine to 100fwd/100brks , no reverse to avoid my kid from going back and forth, burning the brushed motor. (no brushless yet)
    Also if you are using lipo , make sure to set it up for low voltage detection.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier
    It will sometimes give you problems programming reverse if the throttle trim is not set properly. Start with it at 50/50 and the trim at 0. Then program the ESC again.
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

RC Racer
    The motor registers both forward and reverse with no problems but for some reason when ever I try to program the ESC I never see the green light until after I release the trigger and the EZ button. It does drive perfectly fine otherwise, could that mean it is programmed properly?

RC Racer
    Any ideas on different gears or should I keep the original gear in there?

RC Champion
    Go to the support page on here and pull up the gearing chart for a VXL pede for a starting point. Still wheelies are going to be there. You'll need to train your trigger finger to tame the wheelies. It can be done.
    Brushless 9cell/3s Street Rusty

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    The motor registers both forward and reverse with no problems but for some reason when ever I try to program the ESC I never see the green light until after I release the trigger and the EZ button. It does drive perfectly fine otherwise, could that mean it is programmed properly?
    It is likely programmed properly. The manual states that a green light will flash when the programming is complete, but it is more like a dim flickering green light and doesn't go to solid green until you let the trigger go back to neutral.*

Like this:

Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Racer
    Yes thanks. I finally figured out after watching the video. All is good now. I just picked up a fan for the motor aswell since I have read it gets a little hot and it needs to be below 160 degrees.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Yes thanks. I finally figured out after watching the video. All is good now. I just picked up a fan for the motor aswell since I have read it gets a little hot and it needs to be below 160 degrees.
    The maximum temperature rating for the vxl motor is 200F, so stay well away from getting that hot. if you shoot for around 160F temp at the end of the run, youll be good to go and wont risk damaging the motor. Just remember that controlling the temp of the motor should be done with appropriate gearing and you should never rely on the fan to keep the motor from overheating just in case the fan dies during a run and you dont notice. A fan on the esc is a good idea as well.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.