RC Racer

Cool Stampede VXL w/ 3S and ESC Fan

Not sure if this has been brought up before but I hope someone has a good solution.

I have a stampede 2wd VXL and upgraded to 3S LIPO. It's been pretty cold here 30-50 degrees so no worries of overheating. With spring coming up I purchased an esc fan.

When I went to install it I found that because of the risers I had to install to fit the 3S LIPO the fan does not fit under the stampede body.

Any workarounds/suggestions greatly appreciated.

RC Qualifier
    1) Just because its cool outside, it doesn't mean you cant overheat.

2) As far as the ESC not fitting under the body, You are correct. I had the same issue with a very simple and effective solution that will not only make it fit, but keep it cooler too. I just cut the top of the bed out of the body. Just the ribbed part, side to side leaving a rib or two on each side, and all the way from the back to the front up to the back window including the angled part.
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

RC Qualifier
    Oops didn't realize that! That makes me feel dumb...ok well reconsidering what 4 wheelin said I think that's not a bad idea...but if you didn't want to do that you could maybe try a different body with a taller part than what you have now but I don't know what that would be...you could also raise the body height if it doesn't bother you
    Last edited by eschmitt4; 04-10-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Thanks 4 wheelin!
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by eschmitt4 View Post
    Or you could do this...the battery goes under the Velcro loop and secures around...but you will have to make up for this gap with some spacers

You are showing a 4x4, he has a 2wd.
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

RC Racer
    Thanks guys. I'm looking at different body options and in the meantime running without the fan and keeping an eye on the temps. Before it started getting warmer nothing was getting even remotely hot (lipo, esc, motor). Now I can definitely tell that things are heating up.

I'm a bit wary to cut the body like that. It may leave dirt/debris/water in that normally would be blocked.

RC Racer
    Just an update, running without the esc fan and still not heating up that much. I'll be doing a 1" chassis extension and using a Proline Desert Rat body for a rustler. I'll have to check the clearance again and if it doesn't clear I'll cut an opening.

RC Competitor
    The Proline Hummer H2T body offers plenty of room above the ESC for a fan.

http://prolineracing.com/bodies/h2-h...ut-clear-body/

RC Racer
    Thanks but I really like the look of the Desert Rat on a pede

RC Competitor
    Honestly if you gear it correctly you don't need an ESC fan...the ESC fan doesn't help as much as you might think, it's more a scheme for Tr*x*s to make money off of people who think it's a necessity because their ESC is overheating and they don't know what to do. If you're running your RC so hard that the ESC is borderline overheating, you aren't geared properly.

No matter what pinion, spur, tire size, battery, etc you are running, there will always be an optimal gear ratio which will keep the temps of the ESC, motor, and battery at an acceptable level. Yeah, it may look cool to "hop up" your rc with a fan, but it isn't necessary. It's all in the gearing...

One last thing, since you're running 3s it's inevitable that things are gonna heat up more than a 2s, and cutting air vents in the windshield of your body will work better than mounting a fan on top of it due to the high speeds/high air flow...plus if it's stock everything should be waterproof so a couple holes aren't gonna matter.

ps cool body, I've got a couple Desert Rat's for my Pede.
    Last edited by gPlayer234; 04-18-2013 at 02:32 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by gPlayer234 View Post
    Honestly if you gear it correctly you don't need an ESC fan...the ESC fan doesn't help as much as you might think, it's more a scheme for Tr*x*s to make money off of people who think it's a necessity because their ESC is overheating and they don't know what to do. If you're running your RC so hard that the ESC is borderline overheating, you aren't geared properly.

No matter what pinion, spur, tire size, battery, etc you are running, there will always be an optimal gear ratio which will keep the temps of the ESC, motor, and battery at an acceptable level. Yeah, it may look cool to "hop up" your rc with a fan, but it isn't necessary. It's all in the gearing...

One last thing, since you're running 3s it's inevitable that things are gonna heat up more than a 2s, and cutting air vents in the windshield of your body will work better than mounting a fan on top of it due to the high speeds/high air flow...plus if it's stock everything should be waterproof so a couple holes aren't gonna matter.

ps cool body, I've got a couple Desert Rat's for my Pede.
    Thanks for your feedback. Perhaps in Minn. the esc fan may not be a necessity but in other parts of the country where it gets quite warm you would want it. I believe the combination of the fan and cutouts would be optimal to keep everything cool.

RC Competitor
    we hit 90+ degrees every day for a month straight last summer...trust me, it gets hotter than people think, and let me tell ya, the humidity is horrendous. By all means it doesn't hurt to have the fan, but like I said there is always an optimal ratio where the rc is geared properly taking into account the terrain, spur, pinion, and tires when the ESC shouldn't heat up much more than the ambient air temp.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by gPlayer234 View Post
    we hit 90+ degrees every day for a month straight last summer...trust me, it gets hotter than people think, and let me tell ya, the humidity is horrendous. By all means it doesn't hurt to have the fan, but like I said there is always an optimal ratio where the rc is geared properly taking into account the terrain, spur, pinion, and tires when the ESC shouldn't heat up much more than the ambient air temp.
    I agree but I think that I like most people like to push the limits and try to go a little faster