RC Competitor

T-maxx classic tranny Spur Gear Upgrade?

i have a tmaxx build coming along... and will be running a bb which is in the mail...

the big question is, what other slipper/spur combos are out there that can accommodate to such power on a pretty heavy truck? the stock classic 4910 slipper setup seems just not sufficient enough for this truck.

i would have loved a strobe setup with a ofna spur combo but they are no longer available and hard to find.

i have a UE thunder chassis which will have a monoblock. has flm hybrid bulks with hobao diffs

it's basically all aluminum.(ue widetrack,ue knucklehead towers, proline powerstrokes, tvr CVDs and so on)

everything is great except i think the stock spur/slipper type will not work properly and will lead to burnt spurs everytime i run the truck...

i will post pictures later if needed

The torque control slipper would be an option but...The only spur that fits it correctly to align with the engine clutch bell properly is the concave 72T spur that comes with it. You would have a better slipper clutch system than the friction peg style but the spur would be relatively the same as the old style.
    If it were me, I would use the torque control slipper upgrade for the 2.5 tranny and then use the revo Mod 1 spur gears and a 1/8 scale clutch and bell for the big block. You would have to make a plate to move the engine mount to set the spur gear and clutch bell mesh correctly but with a few good tools it’s not that difficult to make and it opens up a lot of possibilities for gearing. You may also be able to use the adjustable style engine mounts without a plate and use the slightly larger mod.8 TMaxx 3.3 style spur gears, they are a little larger diameter than the revo spurs and the engine wouldn’t need to be moved as much toward center to set the mesh.
    What BB engine do you have coming and have you decided on a clutch systemand bell size/pitch?
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Competitor
    the man i was looking for... lol

that sounds like a plan... i just looked up the parts and i think i will get the 4992x input shaft and then get a 58 tooth spur...

i would think i would get a 16t 1/8 scale bell and see what i can do ... as far as mesh i believe i can use the 58tooth no problem on the thunder chassy as i know some use 51tooth spurs with that chassy. correct me if im wrong...

the engine i will be running is a rb bxr

i used to run a rb sm something. this was 10 years ago so i dont' remember the engine exactly. i was only 15 when i had that mod but i know i was the only running running a bump start tmaxx back then with a .21 bb. i believe with a hand held bump starter with the exhaust rerouted to the back so i can hit the flywheel. it was a fully hardcore racing setup with a modified chassy and tranny to accommodate the big block... ( it was stock narrow 1.5 chassy with a .21. was loads of fun). i would like to go that route again just to bring back some memories and to have something unique? lol i have other maxxes and projects that can be used for quick runs but this i just want it to be something special.

i am adding some pics... it's a 66t spur with ball diff bearing in them... i think it can hold... but i believe there are better slipper setups for what i am trying out...

if you look i believe the mounts can be adjusted enough to hit a 58tooth .. i put a allen wrench for rough estimates on where the crank would be... from the pictures it might not look like it would hit but with the height of the bell and all i think it should mesh up great.

after everything is test fitted when all the parts are in... it's time for a final polish and then i will unleash it...

Good looking rig!
    You will need the entire torque control slipper kit #5351X, the standard TMaxx/Revo slipper back plate does not fit the 4992X shaft in the correct position, the placement of the hole for the cross pin and the length are different.
    Also be sure to get a 32 pitch/mod.8 bell to go with the 54T TMaxx spur, most 1/8th scale bells are mod 1.
    The 66T spur you have on it now should hold up decent with all 12 holes filled with the diff balls, just make sure itís a snug slipper setting or the diff balls will melt the center of the spur real quick if it slips too much. Been there done that several times with a BB

Have you tested the direct pull throttle setup with an engine mock up yet? Looks like you may have to swap the fuel tank and servo positions to have the clearance needed for the throttle pull.

RC Competitor
    i don't know if i said this to you enough but really thanks for the input...

ok i will look into the slipper kit... let me know if this will work...

i will get this kit :http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TRAXXAS-...item4854222108

with this shaft.. : http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRA4992X-Tra...item2c6bed87b8

this will not work ?

and yes 32 pitch is what i need... it's on my check list...

yea all the 12 holes are filled with the diff balls and i have seen melted spurs which is what i am afraid of. i tightened all the way and backed off about a 1/4

i have a direct pull setup on my flm/rpm basher maxx with a modded chassis. looks almost identical apart from the fuel tank. it works great...

the clearance issue that i think you see is actually just an illusion... it clears the tank properly with my os .21 with the carb tilted toward the slipper nut. smooth sailing. also the pic has the servo horn way off angle... so maybe that added to it? looks like it will never work in the second pic lol ...

The kit is what you need, http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=7825
    You will use everything in the kit except the spur that comes with it and you will have it as a spare to experiment with if necessary.
    Everything will then fit the 2.5 tranny as it should with proper clearance of the slipper back plate. The revo and 3.3 TMaxx stock slipper back plate looks very similar to the torque control slipper upgrade back plate for the 2.5 tranny but they are designed different because of the differences in the tranny housing and the length of the input shaft.

Probably just the overhead shot made it look like there wasn’t enough clearance for the throttle pull, I knew the servo horn wouldn’t work like that though, that’s what made me think you may have done a mock up.

RC Competitor
    ahhh ic... i just reread your last post and i don't know what i was thinking but i see what you mean now... about the pin and shaft

yea shoddy camera makes everything look weird...

i will order them now and test fit

THANK YOU AGAIN!

Anytime, keep us updated.