OCD With Dumb Things...

Hey guys, as some of you may have noticed, I'm really OCD about my rc cars. I always need to have them perfect, and clean. It can get really bad at times, to the point I can't sleep at night because there is something not "perfect" on my rc car. For example, when my Summit has a little slop in the wheel hubs, it really bothers me. I can't get the thought out of my head until it's fixed. I know it doesn't really matter, but it still bugs me really bad. Can you guys talk some sense into me? I'm convinced even a little slop in something will ruin or hurt my truck. Please help me not worry about the dumb little things like that. Thanks.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC Racer
    Im the same way with all my stuff, trying to keep everything clean as possible, it just shows that you care about your possessions and you dont want to ruin them.
    Drive it like you stole it!

I do believe it only becomes a problem when you can't function normally because of your compulsions. I get ideas in my head some nights and start working on something and before i realize it the night has gone by and I am rolling into bed at 5am. Luckily I work nights so it's no big deal for me I usually sleep during the morning anyway.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

Thanks Crazyman, that just helped justify my OCD...
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC Champion
    Let me help you out...some of my trucks have had about more than an INCH of slop in the wheels. They still worked great.
    Its not a big deal
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

Couple of things...

I once had moderate to sever OCD. Once I realized the items I was obsessing over really did not matter in the big picture I was/am able to control the urges to make everything perfect... now, this does not mean that I do not try my best at everything I do. It means that there is a fine line between doing a great job at something and having it take control over you.

Another point... removing every last bit of slop will result in more broken parts.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by upbasher View Post
    Let me help you out...some of my trucks have had about more than an INCH of slop in the wheels. They still worked great.
    Its not a big deal
    An inch of slop is a HUGE deal to me I guess we just have different standards. I would be repairing a truck with that much slop not driving it.

Another point... removing every last bit of slop will result in more broken parts.
    IMO there is a difference between "free play" and "slop". Getting rid of all the slop is a good thing but you have to keep a little bit of free play so you dont bind things up or cause excessive breakage.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    I keep my trucks in like new condition at all times. I even replace parts when they get excessively scratched up. Just ask anyone who has received one of my trucks from the marketplace what condition it was in.

Speaking of OCD, I even have most of the stuff in my house measured with a tape measure to be sure the spacing is right and that things are centered. This even includes the angle of the speakers for my stereo system in the living room. Can you beat that? LOL
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I hate having broken trucks and I hate having dirty trucks/cars. So I always try to keep things in running condition and clean. BUT... these babies are made to be run HARD so if something has some extra play here and there or something is getting a bit worn but isnt likely to cause a problem I just leave it till it breaks.

You gotta remember, these vehicles are MADE to be run hard. Thats what they are for and obsessing over every little issue is going to take the fun out of the hobby. I have great respect for people who take care of their expensive toys and I just cant stand it when people neglect their expensive toys. But people who obsess over them bug me too.

I run with 3 guys who literally dont care about their trucks. They run them in the mud and snow, never clean them, are constantly rigging things back together and not replacing the parts when they get home. The annoying part is that every time we go out to run, their trucks are breaking down and they spend more time fixing/taping them back together than running. My stuff always goes home broken, but almost always lasts till the end of the day.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyman94 View Post
    Im the same way with all my stuff, trying to keep everything clean as possible, it just shows that you care about your possessions and you dont want to ruin them.
    haha same here guys. I'll spend five minutes using something and an hour cleaning it.
    Matthew 7:7

RC Competitor
    im guilty of not keeping my truck all that clean. but, that doesnt mean it doesnt bug me that its dirty. on the other hand, when something is wrong with my truck it will drive me nuts till its fixed. ill be sitting on the couch whatchin tv and the truck will sitting by the door broken. ill find myself staring at it out of the corner of my eye. then i cant relax till i either fix it or at least find out whats wrong. you gotta be alittle nuts to enjoy this hobby.
    its a good thing i like taking things apart.

RC Champion
    I'm kind of in the middle on these things. I keep all my R/C's looking showroom condition and extremely clean at all times. I don't obsess over slop or broken parts however. Thankfully I have enough vehicles that having a broken one sit fora while isn't a big deal. My 1/16 rally vxl has been broken since last summer and I just got around to ordering new rpm hubs for it.. But it is spotlessly clean..LOL SO is my shop.. I believe that a clean car is easier to work on and spot potential problems.. My shops is immaculate as well.. I have a friend I run with that is the same as me except he will replace any part including the body if its scratched.. I'm not that bad.. I have other friends who drive them until they fall apart then fix them.. The point here is it isn't really OCD, but a love of the hobby.. As the other posters here have said. If it starts to interfere with your daily life.. then its an issue.. otherwise just a hobby..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Qualifier
    I have always been OCD. I'm assuming I got it honest because my dad is OCD. Example, lots of guys take care of their lawn mowers, but my father literally has to polish the engine before putting it away. If I went over to my parents home right now, I'd bet you my last dollar whatever he's doing, he's cleaning something. He's probably on a ladder in the kitchen polishing the knotty pine cathedral ceiling by hand as be has done since I was born and the house was built in 1969. Their house is literally operating room clean. It would make me sad, but the truth is he enjoys it, like a hobby. It's the same way no matter what we do. If we go fishing I know when we get back its gonna be 3 hours of boat cleaning for sure. If we go shooting, yep... Every gun stripped to the last screw. He's 67 now. How he hasn't died from overexposure to cleaning supplies, ill never know.

I was very OCD when I was younger. When I was 20, I was in a near fatal accident that has left me pretty crippled up. That controls my OCD to an extent because I am unable to physically do all I want to do. But mentally, OMG yeah. I do not sleep well due to chronic pain. However, if I have a RC project on my mind ill just lay there in bed and obsess about 5,000 scenarios of how I'm gonna do it. I have notebooks full of RC info. Some useful, some not. Like when you hear me say I have 232 runs on a certain Titan motor, you can bank it cause its all recorded in a notebook.

I think that's why I like my Pedes because they are cheap and simple and I can have fun with them without too much stress about what needs to be cleaned or serviced. Though I'm sure my idea of dirty RC is someone else's "clean" RC and I don't necessarily think I'm right.

These are just a couple of examples. But like depression, OCD is real. It's funny to some people, but normally not to those who suffer from it. And of course there are many levels of it. I'm really really bad OCD on some things like organizing my CD and DVD/Blu-ray collections just a certain way, stuff like that and then some stuff, way less. But you can bet the things I'm passionate about I'm OCD. You can probably read the two trader feedbacks I got this week and gather that about my RC stuff too.

Anyway my heart goes out to any of you guys that are struggling with it. If you let it, it can take over your life but it doesn't have to.

RC Champion
    There sure is some weird people here lol
    If your truly OCD about your RC's the best thing to do would quit the hobby if you can't control your OCD.
    It's atrial and is meant to be dirty lol. If it makes you feel any better heres one of
    Mine. I drove it 2 days ago at the mud put and it's sitting exactly
    Like this in my pickup. And will
    Stay like tht till I get home in 10 days

RC Champion
    let me fill your hearts with peace for you poor souls are not alone when it comes to clean rc's. even my tools and chargers and everything else must be "just so" i dont just clean my cars, i tear them down to every screw, nut, and washer. everything gets soaked in appropriate chemicals, and all scrubbed with an assortment of brushes and picks.

when i go to the track, and i dont exaggerate, i spend atleast 30 minutes just figuring out where to put my tool bag (that stays open but covered with a towel) in relation to my plano box which is perfectly organized,and my screw bins which are also religiously organized along with my chargers, nitro bump box, and deep cycle battery.

that said my workshop is a disaster 99% of the time and the inside of my 1:1 is about the same. funny how being crazy works.
    Last edited by SRTracer121; 04-18-2013 at 11:43 PM.
    Vintage TRX collector|Florida Dirt Oval racer

Us cray people attract each other like high power magnets!

Certain things have to be just so, everything else may look like a tornado hit it but the RC car/Go Box is OCD organized!

After making some parts on my drill press I have a ton of aluminum chips everywhere in my workshop, no to mention the mess on my polishing table.

Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SRTracer121 View Post
    let me fill your hearts with peace for you poor souls are not alone when it comes to clean rc's. even my tools and chargers and everything else must be "just so" i dont just clean my cars, i tear them down to every screw, nut, and washer. everything gets soaked in appropriate chemicals, and all scrubbed with an assortment of brushes and picks.

when i go to the track, and i dont exaggerate, i spend atleast 30 minutes just figuring out where to put my tool bag (that stays open but covered with a towel) in relation to my plano box which is perfectly organized,and my screw bins which are also religiously organized along with my chargers, nitro bump box, and deep cycle battery.

that said my workshop is a disaster 99% of the time and the inside of my 1:1 is about the same. funny how being crazy works.
    I read your post and had to laugh. When I first got seriously into racing, I would strip the cars down to the last nut and screw and make sure everything was perfect all the time. I didn't quite go to the extremes that you did with the pit area, but not far off.. I don't race too much anymore and my pit box is now an extra storage area and staging area for the next r/c project to be worked on.. My full size cars that I own have a tendency to get a bit dirty, but working at a car dealer and a couple of $$ to the prep guys does wonders for it. I don't like to strip the cars down anymore, I just don't have the time anymore.. My solution was to buy a bigger compressor and blow everything off the cars.. "Almost" as good... LOL
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3