RC Enthusiast

Upgraded a Stampede XL-5 with the VXL-3s - problem

Got my VXL and Velineon kit today, and after some hassle setting it up, I took it for a spin. Worked fine for a while, but after a (small) jump, the pinion gear came loose and shifted to the end of the Velineon "driveshaft", or whatever it's called. :P

I checked some videos on YouTube and it seems the driveshaft extends much further out than on my Titan 12T, making it hard to align the pinion properly with the flat bit on the shaft.

Not sure what to do about this. I may not have fastened the screw properly on the pinion, but I really don't want to strip it. Seems the spur gear survived at least. Any suggestions?

RC Champion
    if you can get a 1/16'' hex driver (its going to be a tight fit ) and torque it tight on the motor shaft. thats how i put the traxxas pinions on
    other then that get some blue lock tight the hold the grub screw on
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Champion
    Ya i just put a dab of blue loctite on the grub screw of the pinion gear and it holds just fine. You want to make sure it is nice and tight on the motor shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kid at heart......and always playin around

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    if you can get a 1/16'' hex driver (its going to be a tight fit ) and torque it tight on the motor shaft. thats how i put the traxxas pinions on
    other then that get some blue lock tight the hold the grub screw on
    Quote Originally Posted by theant View Post
    Ya i just put a dab of blue loctite on the grub screw of the pinion gear and it holds just fine. You want to make sure it is nice and tight on the motor shaft.

I'm new to RC and not particularly tech savvy when it comes to these kinds of things, but I'll see about the loctite stuff. I have basic tools available but no torque.

How do you get the grub screw back out though if you've applied loctite?

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.

RC Champion
    Let me say first that when you are putting metal screws into plastic parts you want to avoid "torquing" the screws. You want to tighten them so they are snug or the plastic will just strip out. I know right now you are putting a metal grub screw in a metal pinion gear onto a metal motor shaft but you said torque so i wanted to caution you there.

If you use some blue loctite from your lhs (local hobby shop) you will be able to get the screw out again. You'll want to tighten the grub down pretty tight but dont break the hex driver tip or allen key off in the grub screw or you will have a fun time getting that out. Let the loctite dry really well before you use it again. I used my wife's hair dryer to quicken the drying process a bit.

Last edited by theant; 04-24-2013 at 07:13 AM.

RC Racer
    Yeah man ants right blue Loctite is the only way to go when metal to metal is being used. When you go to put the grub screw in just put a bit on the threads of the screw and put in the pinion and tighten it down I usually try to give 24 hrs before I use anything that's been loctited,

Edit: yeah I know I reiterated what ant said, but now that im learning all this stuff I like to exercise my brain muscle by saying what ive learned. lol

Tim

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim606 View Post
    Yeah man ants right blue Loctite is the only way to go when metal to metal is being used. When you go to put the grub screw in just put a bit on the threads of the screw and put in the pinion and tighten it down I usually try to give 24 hrs before I use anything that's been loctited,

Edit: yeah I know I reiterated what ant said, but now that im learning all this stuff I like to exercise my brain muscle by saying what ive learned. lol

Tim
    No worries man. This is how we learn right?

RC Enthusiast
    Well, I took it out for a spin half an hour ago and so far it's holding up. If it happens again I'll try some loctite. I'll definitely have to get a wheelie bar though.

..Should have just bought the VXL straight away, would have saved me so much money :P

RC Qualifier
    It will loosen up, at your earliest convenience loctite it. You can get it at any auto store as well.

Another solution is to reverse the pinion gear to make it line up with the spur. Some pinions are short enough to do it, or the motor shaft is long enough.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Another solution is to reverse the pinion gear to make it line up with the spur. Some pinions are short enough to do it, or the motor shaft is long enough.
    Good idea; if it pops off again I might try that.

RC Competitor
    +1 on the wheelie bar. Also the stock hard plastic wheels on the wheelie bar are awful. The optional traxxas rubber ones work so much better and are a little bit bigger. Zip ties on the wheelie bar helps too to keep it in the position you want.

I run the Velineon System in both my Diggers and love it.
    Founder of the Mini Monsters RC group

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMonstersRC View Post
    +1 on the wheelie bar. Also the stock hard plastic wheels on the wheelie bar are awful. The optional traxxas rubber ones work so much better and are a little bit bigger. Zip ties on the wheelie bar helps too to keep it in the position you want.

I run the Velineon System in both my Diggers and love it.
    I'll have to see how it feels with the original ones, it just sucks having to go flip the car over when you're too hard on the throttle. Honestly I got the Velineon just because I've read so much about the poor durability of the Titan 12T. I was quite pleased with the performance on it, but instead of swapping motors once (or more) a month, I figured I'd get one step ahead. I also finally got my ball bearings from the US yesterday; should make for longer lasting batteries and lower temps. Can't wait to try it

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
    I'll have to see how it feels with the original ones, it just sucks having to go flip the car over when you're too hard on the throttle. Honestly I got the Velineon just because I've read so much about the poor durability of the Titan 12T. I was quite pleased with the performance on it, but instead of swapping motors once (or more) a month, I figured I'd get one step ahead. I also finally got my ball bearings from the US yesterday; should make for longer lasting batteries and lower temps. Can't wait to try it
    Yes bearings do make a big difference for sure. Also i did the zip tie on the wheelie bar trick which worked fine but once i upgraded to the Rpm wheelie bar mount the wheelie bar itself has never moved. Not even on a rear impact off a jump. And no more zip ties. I think it has to do with the rpm mount being so much more rigid than stock and not allowing the wheelie bar to flex in one corner and come loose.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by theant View Post
    Yes bearings do make a big difference for sure. Also i did the zip tie on the wheelie bar trick which worked fine but once i upgraded to the Rpm wheelie bar mount the wheelie bar itself has never moved. Not even on a rear impact off a jump. And no more zip ties. I think it has to do with the rpm mount being so much more rigid than stock and not allowing the wheelie bar to flex in one corner and come loose.

So the Traxxas wheelie bar is compatible with the RPM mount? If so I'll get that combo instead.

RC poster
    I drilled two little holes and put screws through the c shaped part that snaps onto the crossbars and the crossbars. You can do this for every position. You just have to change the angle of the hole. Adjust to the position you want 1st and then drill the holes. I've never had the wheelie bar pop off since doing this.
    Another tip is to drill a small hole near the end of the mounting bracket into the brace plate under the tranny case. Put a small screw into the new hole and the wheelie bar will be much more secure.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
    So the Traxxas wheelie bar is compatible with the RPM mount? If so I'll get that combo instead.
    Yes it is. Got that on mine.