RC Enthusiast

5000mah battery life of 15-20 minutes?

On my VXL w/ stock gearing ratio (both 48P and 32P gearing) I'm only able to squeeze about 15, 20 minutes tops out of my 5000 mah 7-cell NiMH batteries. Granted, I'm doing a ton of full throttle stops and starts -- due to the size of the lot I drive in I'm never running at speed for more than a few seconds before I have to slow down and turn around. But prior to purchasing the batteries people were saying they were able to get 30-45 minutes off of their batteries.

Is it my driving style, or did I get a bum set of batteries?

RC Champion
    it will take a few cycles to get them to full capacity. It is the speed that drains them fast. I get about 45 min on my summit in low gear but if i keep it in high gear ill be lucky to get 20 min

Quote Originally Posted by FTFTWW View Post
    But prior to purchasing the batteries people were saying they were able to get 30-45 minutes off of their batteries.
    Are you sure they weren't talking about lipo's? I expect 40 minute run times out of lipo's, not nimh's
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    Yeah Id expect that out of lipos, but not a nimh. Maybe 25 mins is in order if youre not really floggin it.
    Land of the free?

RC Competitor
    I have two 3500 NIMH and i get about 45 minutes of fun, if i drive real hard maybe 30 but thats going threw both batteries. nimh dont last all that long.

RC Enthusiast
    On my 2 month old 7 cell 5000mah nimh batteries, I was getting anywhere from 20 - 30min out of a battery on 25/83 gearing on my VXL. mainly just spinning tires and doing some curb jumps. With 28/83 gearing, I got 10 min out of it before it started to cog really bad and couldn't get threw thin grass.

On a 2s lipo 5000mah 25c 30c burst rate, I was getting around 25 - 30min out of it on 28/83 gearing. With 25/83 it was around 30+min.

gear low, the battery will last a long time, I had it geard 1 time with 21/90 and got 40 min out of my Rustler on the 7 cell battery.

Want speed and run times, I suggest running lipo, 2s lipo will be the same speed, but much faster acceleration and run time.