RC Qualifier

What rc truck should I buy?

I have been looking into buying a new truck and I have been debating on what i should get. My buddy just bought a brushed slash and i also want a new truck to drive with him. I currently own a e-maxx brushed, 1/16 summit vxl and 1/16 slash vxl all not working . i plan on selling the 1/16ths to buy a new truck. Im debating on alot of things, first off nitro or electric, the classical answer. Im thinking for the forms of nitro a nitro slash 3.3, slayer 4x4 3.3 or a t-maxx 3.3. As of electric the 1/10 rally 4x4, 1/10 slash 4x4 and the 1/10 stampede 4x4. As of price range under $500. I can't have them all though .

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I think if you plan to run with your buddy... get one like your buddy. Maybe a 2X4 slash VXL or a 4X4 slash. that way they are both similar in appearance. He will eventually upgrade to brushless so getting a slash VXL will just help convince him to do it dooner but if your 2 vehicles are wildly different in capabilities it will always leave one guy feeling like he cant participate or compete. Its just no fun if they arent at least similar.

IMO, you have electric, stay electric. Nitro smells good, sounds good and is technically cool, but in terms of real world useability, its just not nearly as convenient or easy. You still need batteries so you dont truly get any benefits there... and you already have the electric stuff... so your already all set.

Get your 2 1/16's up and working before you sell... youll get more. Or, sell them to me for a crazy deal in non working condition. Hehe... that works too.

RC Competitor
    Same hear get something like your buddies truck if u want speed and handling on tracks and dirt it's the slash 4x4 but if ur looking to have fun it's the slash 2wd Vxl that's what I have
    Traxxas Slash 2wd Vxl

RC Racer
    I say get the 4x4 they are a blast to drive compared to the 2wd. Better handeling if you plan to race it has way more traction. just a great all around truck.

RC Competitor
    But speed wise the 2wd and 4x4 drive are similar my buddy has 4x4 and he changed to a 4 s because my slash beat his truck and I was running a nim battery and I was even with him when he ran a 2s if not even then faster
    Last edited by Chadman20; 05-05-2013 at 11:40 PM. Reason: I put the wrong face and spelled something wrong
    Traxxas Slash 2wd Vxl

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman20 View Post
    But speed wise the 2wd and 4x4 drive are similar my buddy has 4x4 and he changed to a 4 s because my slash beat his truck and I was running a nim battery and I was even with him when he ran a 2s if not even then faster
    He had a 2400 though compared to the 3500 so yeah the 2wd would have beat him

RC Competitor
    Well the point was my truck was stock and it made my truck look good my buddie still has troubles keeping up he can't touch my slash it's a beast
    Traxxas Slash 2wd Vxl

RC Racer
    Well the point was my truck was stock and it made my truck look good my buddie still has troubles keeping up he can't touch my slash it's a beast
    Wanna bet his is faster now?

RC Competitor
    YEA and I'm still running Nims he upgraded a whole lot but I would love to show him up lol
    Traxxas Slash 2wd Vxl

RC Racer
    YEA and I'm still running Nims he upgraded a whole lot but I would love to show him up lol
    Buy you cant because mine Cough Cough sorry HIS is way faster

RC Competitor
    Haha COUGH COUGH he has always been jealous of my ride cuz his car is so slow compared to it
    Traxxas Slash 2wd Vxl

RC Competitor
    He is scared cause he knows mine is faster
    Traxxas Slash 2wd Vxl

I would stay electric. The up side if you go with the same truck as him, you can share parts if need be. It a hard call. Where are you going to drive it?
    Slash 4x4
    Stampede 4x4
    Stampede 2WD

RC Champion
    Slash 4x4 imo. Great fun on all surfaces and very durable in stock form.
    Land of the free?

RC Competitor
    I switch parts with my friends all the time
    Traxxas Slash 2wd Vxl

Any R/C, as far as speed is concerned, and comparing apples to apples. Tires, body styles, motors, batteries, gearing all being the same the 2WD is going to be lighter and less drag on the driveline with just one diff.

4WD will give you more control when set up properly and usually is a little more expensive, yet the offroad capability and handling is going to be better when set up properly. It also allows you to go in more varieties of terrain, so you can bash in places that sometimes you wouldn't if you were 2WD.

Of coarse when you increase your motor size and battery setup ESC you are going to get more power/speed withing reason no matter what you are using...

Let's end this mine is faster than yours bit shall we? Unless you live near each other and go race somewhere, but then, drivers win races... Just quit the bickering it's making my eyes bleed.... Mine is faster than yours

As far as the original question,,, you have already experience with electrics, your buddies is electric, electrics seem to be really popular these days and the support of Traxxas is there.
    I've explained the main differences between 2WD setups and 4WD setups. The rest is personal preference as you can tell by the banter above...

Anyone else want to do a this Vs. that in this thread it will be closed. NN
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Qualifier
    thanks guys for the input. i might be heading out to the hobby shop soon so ill see if i could look at them to decide.
    Last edited by vwbug; 05-12-2013 at 11:42 AM.

RC Racer
    Slash 4x4. You wont regret it. I wish i bought a slash instead of my rustler after driving my buddies slash.

If you're thinking of a nitro truck, borrow one and drive it for 3 consecutive days and let me know how you feel about them. I think you'll realize what a pain they are.

My vote is for the Sl4sh. You can make it into a MT, P4de, or lcg street rod fairly easily.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    how much of a pain are they o.g.? 1 to 10; 1 easy , 10 rebuild after every run

RC Champion
    It all depends on the owner. If you are into mechanical things and like tinkering, it wont be horrible, you might even like it. If you would rather just run your vehicle and dont like maintainence youll likely not want to even drive it.
    Land of the free?

RC Qualifier
    ok thanks ill ask my neibor if he likes his and ill ask if i could drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by vwbug View Post
    how much of a pain are they o.g.? 1 to 10; 1 easy , 10 rebuild after every run
    I have experience with plane engines and they didn't work more than they did. Electric works almost every time. The reason I said to run it 3 days in a row is, I'm sure you couldn't start it at least one day.

When they ran 1/8 gas buggies at my track there were always a non-starter or two for every race.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    ok thanks ill see what i will do. Thanks for the feedback

RC Champion
    i began in nitro. i watched the breakin dvd a million times. and basically i never had any real problems. i did wear out one 2.5r motor in the 7 years i ran nitro.
    i switched to electric cause they are (sometimes) cleaner, and quieter.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.