RC poster

Having issues with my new Traxxas Rally 1/10

Hey,

I just picked up a new Traxxas Rally. I replaced the stock gear with the replacement that came with it. I
    am thoroughly enjoying the speed I'm getting out of it using a 2S lipo battery. But racing around on
    pavement I'm finding the stock Vilineon motor gets really hot! I haven't measure the temperature yet but I can't even touch it because it's so hot. Is there anyway to keep it from overheating? Or is there something I'm doing to cause this?

My other issue is the buildup in around everything inside. It seems because of the body setup that anything from rocks to grass will get launched into the body and collect around everything. Is there a way to prevent this? I'd like to keep the body, but if need be I can get a new one.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

Indeed what you are doing is causing the heat! The velineon is a bit undersized for a 4wd application, so it is best to gear according to heat buildup on the motor. Without a temp gun it is pretty hard to say if it is overheating or not, I would suggest changing the gear back to stock until you have a temp gun to keep tabs on the heat.

Also generally speaking, traxxas optional speed gearing includes a warning that is should only be used on road with little stop and go driving. I would also add cooling periods to allow the motor and esc to cool.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    If youve been running the optional gear on 2S and NOT taking breaks every few minutes, youve overheated the motor. I ran my brand new rally in a parking lot on the stock 7cell and the factory installed gear and it got really hot.

Unfortunately, once a brushless motor is overheated, its pretty much shot. Your only option would be to get a new motor. You definitely need a temp gun. its an essential RC tool every RC user should have. I say, put the other gear back in, get a temp gun and run the car. If you find the motor is getting above 180-200 youve probably over heated it already and its not in good shape. But stop every 5 minutes or so and check the temps... get a good feel for how it responds heat wise. There is no other way to be sure about the temps.

In terms of getting junk the chassis, that drove me nuts also. Check out "dusty motors" on ebay. They make a velcro on chassis cover that lets air in to cool the electronics but keeps junk out. They are simple, relatively inexpensive and they work great. Best solution to this problem... also, sortof the only solution at the moment. Jconcepts makes a plastic overtray but I have concerns about heat build up with that setup.

I agree, it's amazing how much junk winds up in the chassis. I drive on the street exclusively and gravel is always in my chassis.

I went with an MMP/Vektor 4000kv motor in my Rally. Works great.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Enthusiast
    Probably gear it down to be safe. But don't fall into fear mongering. I run my old Velineon setup in the SC10 with stock gearing. The motor gets so hot it sizzles, if I spit on my finger and touch it. I see 260F+ temps every battery pack. I've been running the over-a-year-old motor like that for about 2 months. No issues so far (aside from broken camber links ). I'm genuinely surprised the spur hasn't melted XD
    But in your case, the motor is very close to the ESC and the battery. All that heat radiating from it can't be good for either.
    Last edited by stascom; 05-17-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stascom View Post
    The motor gets so hot it sizzles, if I spit on my finger and touch it. I see 260F+ temps every battery pack. I've been running the over-a-year-old motor like that for about 2 months. No issues so far (aside from broken camber links ). I'm genuinely surprised the spur hasn't melted XD
    Wouldn't the motor crack in half at that temp? Is it even possible? Are you using a temp gun or estimating it?
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Texas, ChevronPhillips Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by stascom View Post
    Probably gear it down to be safe. But don't fall into fear mongering. I run my old Velineon setup in the SC10 with stock gearing. The motor gets so hot it sizzles, if I spit on my finger and touch it. I see 260F+ temps every battery pack. I've been running the over-a-year-old motor like that for about 2 months. No issues so far (aside from broken camber links ). I'm genuinely surprised the spur hasn't melted XD
    But in your case, the motor is very close to the ESC and the battery. All that heat radiating from it can't be good for either.
    Wow!! Those are some high temps there man. This reading showed up on an IR temp gun? There is no way a Velineon could last through temps like that and live very long. I believe the glue on the magnets will be the first thing to go, which isnt nice to a moving rotor.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore