RC Enthusiast

Question about gearing / tire change

Ok, so.. Even more upgrades today. I can't seem to stop, lol.

Anyway. The stock gearing on my XL-5 is 19/90. I got tired of cleaning sand and rocks out of the spur gear so I bought an 86 tooth spur so I could finally use my RPM gear cover (which is completely sealed). I also got some Pro-Line Trenchers and swapped out the back wheels. The Trenchers are a bit taller (and wider) than the stock Talons, so I guess that'll affect either top speed or acceleration. The 86 spur will, theoretically, increase my top speed by 2-3 km/h.

I have the VXL-3s system in the car - will this gearing / tire combo work for off-road use (concerning temps)? I have ball bearings in all wheels which should lower temps a bit compared to stock XL-5, and I am only running 7-cell Nimh's for now (4600 mah is my biggest).

I do not have a temp gun. At some point I am going to get the TQi telemetry, but probably not for a few weeks at least.

RC Champion
    for brushed people recomend 16/90 for stock talons
    for brushless try a 16t pinion with the 86 spur gear........if you didnt have much heat problems with the stock gearing . you could always do the math to find the matching/close ratio to the 19/90(spur divided by pinion = ratio)
    16/90=5.625
    19/90=4.736
    16/86=5.375
    19/86=4.526
    so to get the closest ratio to 16/90 for the 86 spur gear you would need to use a 15t pinion(ratio 15/86=5.733)
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    for brushed people recomend 16/90 for stock talons
    for brushless try a 16t pinion with the 86 spur gear........if you didnt have much heat problems with the stock gearing . you could always do the math to find the matching/close ratio to the 19/90(spur divided by pinion = ratio)
    16/90=5.625
    19/90=4.736
    16/86=5.375
    19/86=4.526
    so to get the closest ratio to 16/90 for the 86 spur gear you would need to use a 15t pinion(ratio 15/86=5.733)
    I didn't really notice much difference in speed. The theoretical max speed before was around 50 km/h; I can't see how 2-3 extra would add that much more heat?

And what about the tires - do larger ones give more acceleration or speed?

Edit: Searched a bit and it seems the bigger the tire = the more speed.

Sigh, maybe I need to get a smaller pinion then. I have the VXL Esc fan, but that won't really help the motor :P

Edit 2: The lowest I can find on either of the Norwegian hobby sites I use are 16t pinions. Guessing they would be ok?
    Last edited by Sehnsucht; 05-07-2013 at 02:50 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, so I ordered a 16t pinion. But it will be much lower geared than stock according to an RC calculator.

Theoretical max speed with stock gearing / my tires etc is around 52 km/h. I have around 55 now; with the 16t pinion it'll drop to 29.06 mph (46.68 km/h).

Aye, I know these are theoretical values and are probably a bit lower irl, but it gives a good pinpoint.

Anyway, I rarely ever hit top speed anyway so it's fine. Lower temps makes for a longer lasting motor

RC Champion
    the extra diameter of the trencher tires should even things out?
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo