RC Enthusiast

Front ball bearings keep getting ruined.

I have an XL-5 upgraded with ball bearings amongst other things, and so far 2 of them have needed to be replaced. First time on the right side, now on the left. Both times it's been the outer one (one closest to the rims). They are rubber sealed, but I did not get the original ones; found some off eBay from Advantage Racing.

Do they just make bad bearings or have I been really unlucky? Last time it happened I did ride it in a small sandpit, but this is why I got the rubber sealed ones - so I can actually use the truck. Should I get some original Traxxas bearings instead?

Oh, and is there any way of checking the rear bearings without removing the driveshaft?

Texas, ChevronPhillips Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I've never heard or run those bearings before. The ones i've run are Avid, Traxxas, & ProTek. These have all done me a very good job. When you mean ruined, what do you mean? Are they rough feeling, like there is sand in them or are they seized? How long are they lasting? You can buy an RPM bearing blaster and spray them with WD40 then re-oil them. I feel that all that trouble you can just buy a new bearing(s). I keep a bunch on hand. I consider bearings thowaways once they are shot. I have saved some hard to get ones by cleaning them though.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Are they 5x8 bearing carriers or 5x11 vxl size bearing carriers? If this is an older xl5, they came with 5x8 bushings. If you have the 5x8's they eventually will fail, even with very good bearings. They are just too small to take the abuse that the 5x11 bearings are capable of. If you do have the 5x11's, then those bearings are junk. The front bearings take much less abuse than the rear. Check out AvidRC for cheap good bearings.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    Well, they've been at the point where the wheel won't spin freely anymore. It'll act as if it still had those brass rings instead of bearings. When I tried to rotate the last one that went it sounded like there was sand in it.

I got my Stampede a little over a month ago, but didn't really start running it until 3 weeks back. Maybe gone through 15 battery packs total. They are 5x11 carriers. I asked my brother this weekend who's a mechanic, and he thinks it may be because there is too much wheel slop.

How long do your bearings last? It's getting frustrating.

Are these http://www.samirc.no/products/traxxa...x11x4mm-revo-2 ok?
    Last edited by Sehnsucht; 05-12-2013 at 05:46 AM.

Yep 5x11x4 are the correct size. Traxxas bearings are really nice to. When you installed your last bearings did you install the Teflon washer (spacer) between the bearing and axle pin? This cuts down the side to side slop. It can be easily forgotten.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Yep 5x11x4 are the correct size. Traxxas bearings are really nice to. When you installed your last bearings did you install the Teflon washer (spacer) between the bearing and axle pin? This cuts down the side to side slop. It can be easily forgotten.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Yep, always have. I'll order some Traxxas bearings in the near future and stay away from that junk I bought on eBay. Thanks guys.

For $1 a bearing you can pick up Avid Bearings or FastEddyBearings. The ones you got had to have been junk, never seen them go out so fast though. You need to be careful around sand, those little grains get in the smallest of openings.

BTW did you get rubber sealed or metal shielding bearings from the place on eBay?
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

By the way the STRC stock ones, are the bearings as good as traxxas...just wondering, if I should pack up some in stock , either traxxas or strc
    Live life to the fullest

RC Enthusiast
    For $1 a bearing you can pick up Avid Bearings or FastEddyBearings. The ones you got had to have been junk, never seen them go out so fast though. You need to be careful around sand, those little grains get in the smallest of openings.

BTW did you get rubber sealed or metal shielding bearings from the place on eBay?
    Rubber sealed. I haven't driven much on sand, but surely I should be able to with the rubber sealed bearings? Not really a fan of "walking on egg shells" when driving. I've bashed it pretty hard and nothing has broken except the **** bearings. Other than that I've just had to tighten and loctite a few screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
    Rubber sealed. I haven't driven much on sand, but surely I should be able to with the rubber sealed bearings? Not really a fan of "walking on egg shells" when driving.
    I would say no... sand gets everywhere.

The bearing carriers could be worn out and 'loose' where the bearings are and accelerate wear.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    I would say no... sand gets everywhere.

The bearing carriers could be worn out and 'loose' where the bearings are and accelerate wear.
    The truck is 1 month old, shouldn't be too much wear on it this soon. Guess I'll stay out of sand if I can.

I do most of my driving on the street, probably 95%, and my bearings last a long time. I was on a Duratrax bearing kick for a while and they've lasted, but so have the TRX, and whatever no name 5x11's my LHS carries.

I say drive when and where you want with it and don't worry. Bearings are cheap. If you ever upgrade to aluminum bearing carriers, most of them come with new bearings.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

I would guess that shipping to your location is an overriding concern. I do not know if they ship to Norway, but I am a big fan of the Boca Bearings 99 Ten-Packs. http://www.fasteddybearings.com/ is another place with economy bearings, but I have not used their products yet.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Hey, did you get those bearings wet??? It only takes 1 time to get water in them and if not blown out or cleaned, they will corrode and get all gritty like you are describing.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    I'll just get some original ones, they're not too expensive. Don't believe they got wet either of the two times they have gone out.

It wouldnt hurt to stock up on a few extras. Not sure why they are going out so soon like that. Either really sandy conditions or they got wet. You could pop the shield of the old ones and Soak them in WD40. It won't hurt a thing and maybe get a second life from them. Out of all the bearings i've run i've onlly had a couple that went south on me and were real gritty and or siezed. The gritty ones were saved by cleaned them.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Steel seal bearings are the go, I have run a rubber seal and a steel seal in the same carrier, rubber seal bearings packed it in and steel seal are still going strong. If you get a build up around the seal especially if in wet conditions, it will push the rubber seal open and let contaminants in. If you drive on road it doesn't matter which seal the bearing has. I've sourced all steel seal bearings for my trucks.
    Keep a good stock of bearings as they are throw away items, especially if you run in the wet.
    Keep on Bashing and you will keep on Trashing

By the way guys n gals, does the spacers have to be the specific 0.50w or can they be thicker, I am just wondering if I could use out right heavy duty flat washers (of the same size but thicker) , slightly thicker then these stock ones...I forgot to buy them when I was at the lhs, so I thought of using what I got at home......plus the washers seem to be stronger then the spacers in place.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier
    Just an FYI, but ive always used replacement bearings from Advantage RC off of e-bay and never had an issue with the quality. They are rubber sealed bearings and identical to the Traxxas version, just less expensive. These bearings (and the Traxxas bearings) will rust if they get wet and will eventually seize up. You can pop off the seals with an exacto knife and clean them up to get them working again or just to get them running smoother, then re-oil and put the seals back on. I like to use banana lube to free them up, then shoot them with break cleaner to get all the grime out then re-oil with banana lube. I find that the best affordable bearings are nearings with the rubber seals. Ive used other bearings and none hkld up as good as the rubber sealed kind.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    4WD MonsterMutt WPSC8:4Pole 3400kV | GOT DIRT?

RC Qualifier
    hey all, my two cents, it almost sounds like some slop in the wheel is allowing the bearings to "fall" loose. I have never "knock wood" had a 5x11 bearing go bad. I m o The guys are right, you can pop the rubber seal out and clean them with WD40 or electric motor cleaner which is what I use. Just add a little oil and pop the rubber seal back in and install it. It should run like new. Peace
    I have only come here seeking knowledge

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightPumpkin View Post
    hey all, my two cents, it almost sounds like some slop in the wheel is allowing the bearings to "fall" loose. I have never "knock wood" had a 5x11 bearing go bad. I m o The guys are right, you can pop the rubber seal out and clean them with WD40 or electric motor cleaner which is what I use. Just add a little oil and pop the rubber seal back in and install it. It should run like new. Peace
    So I should tighten the wheels more, I guess. My brother thinks this might be it as well. Just don't want to destroy anything more expensive than the bearings. Is it possible to put some spacers in to help eliminate wheel slop?

I thought about checking out the last bearing that went bad but I didn't have a knife thin enough.

You can add spacers just make sure they still run smooth. You dont want it to bind up. Do you have a pic of these bearings that are bad? Its just really strange to see a set going out so quickly (gritty) unless running in sand, in water, or at the beach and not cleaning them afterwards. Doing any of those prepare yourself for a good cleaning after you get home or a replacement soon. FWIW, When they start to go south I just replace them. Then I take the old ones and clean them really well and throw them in my parts box as spares at the track. I've saved myslef and others when bearings were needed.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    You can add spacers just make sure they still run smooth. You dont want it to bind up. Do you have a pic of these bearings that are bad? Its just really strange to see a set going out so quickly (gritty) unless running in sand, in water, or at the beach and not cleaning them afterwards. Doing any of those prepare yourself for a good cleaning after you get home or a replacement soon. FWIW, When they start to go south I just replace them. Then I take the old ones and clean them really well and throw them in my parts box as spares at the track. I've saved myslef and others when bearings were needed.
    The last one looked dirty when I took it out, and if I rotated it by hand it sounded like there was sand in it. How should I clean it anyway? I've heard so many different methods. I've just put it in the shower and carefully rinsed it if it's been really dirty.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
    The last one looked dirty when I took it out, and if I rotated it by hand it sounded like there was sand in it. How should I clean it anyway? I've heard so many different methods. I've just put it in the shower and carefully rinsed it if it's been really dirty.
    What do you mean about putting it in the shower and rinsing it? Are you cleaning your bearings with water or do you mean that your putting your whole RC in the shower to clean it? Just want to understand a little better.

Heres a video that takes you through cleaning ball bearings:

Last edited by felixx4; 05-13-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    4WD MonsterMutt WPSC8:4Pole 3400kV | GOT DIRT?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by felixx4 View Post
    What do you mean about putting it in the shower and rinsing it? Are you cleaning your bearings with water or do you mean that your putting your whole RC in the shower to clean it? Just want to understand a little better.

Heres a video that takes you through cleaning ball bearings:
    The whole truck. I don't spray water inside the rims, on the ESC fan or any other sensitive place. I know how to clean bearings but I'd rather just swap them out when they go - provided that doesn't happen every other week. URC makes awesome videos though, along with djmedic.