RC Enthusiast

Swapping out front shock oil on a Stampede XL-5

One of the front plastic shock caps popped off today resulting in loss of half the oil in the shock, so I might as well make the most of it and try to get some input on which viscosity to use as I find the stock suspension too stiff for off-roading.

I've googled this before and haven't really found a good answer for it. I did however read that the rear suspension should be stiff to absorb jumps, but that it can be softer in the front to absorb small bumps better.

Looks like my choices are from 20-80 on the site I use for parts.

Should I also get some aluminum shock caps (do they really make a difference or do they just look pretty)? I don't care how the truck looks, just want it as durable as possible without breaking the bank.

Edit: Would these fit on stock XL-5 shocks? http://www.samirc.no/products/traxxa...ock-caps-green
    Last edited by Sehnsucht; 05-26-2013 at 03:30 PM.

I have never really popped a shock cap ; even though I bash very hard at the skate park. How ever out of precaution I change all of them to STRC aluminum covers. Until now the shocks are stock , and have been running with the original oil, no leaks what so ever ( i regularly check inside), amazingly no bends in the shafts as well. Between 20and 80 is great. I have 30 and 50 in stock but have not even opened the bottles yet. The original shock cap is 2760, but I think their sizes are pretty standard so those green ones should be fine.
    Last edited by Jezza; 05-26-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    I have never really popped a shock cap ; even though I bash very hard at the skate park. How ever out of precaution I change all of them to STRC aluminum covers. Until now the shocks are stock , and have been running with the original oil, no leaks what so ever ( i regularly check inside), amazingly no bends in the shafts as well. Between 20and 80 is great. I have 30 and 50 in stock but have not even opened the bottles yet. The original shock cap is 2760, but I think their sizes are pretty standard so those green ones should be fine.
    I think it happened when my brother landed his truck on mine while it was flipped over from a jump. I've said to myself that whenever something breaks, I will replace it with something stronger. Technically the shock cap didn't break, but it was a right mess to clean up.

The stock oil is 30; do I go lower to get softer suspension? Seems 30 is pretty low considering the range is 20-80.. Are the stock springs just really hard?

The stock suspensions are pretty hard already.
    Check this video out on suspensions, it really sums out everything you need to know about shocks, oil etc shocks etc.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah and I would like to soften them up considerably in the front. Do I have to get a lower visc oil and softer springs, or would the oil alone be enough?

I'll watch the viddie.

RC Enthusiast
    Well, I ordered 20wt oil, those fugly green shock caps and finally some Traxxas 3741A Aluminum Turnbuckles which was the very last part I needed to make it a complete VXL conversion (well, except some screws I guess).

The guy I talked to said you can install a spacer inside the shock which will either let the oil flow more freely or restrict it, so I guess I'll see about doing that when I get the stuff.