Thread: less heat

RC Qualifier

less heat

I know that there are already a few posts on here about keeping down temps, but none of them answered my problem. I have a bandit running the stock size tires and 26/86 gearing and my castle motor is still running very hot. I mean like 5 speed runs and I have to let it cool down. Sometimes I dont even get full throttle. I only use this car for street bashing and speedruns so I really dont want to decrease the gearing anymore. Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    What kv motor are you running?

The higher you gear the more you have to let it cool down. My buggy (non-Traxxas) is made and geared for racing, it is geared really tall and the motor will get VERY hot if I run it too long, that is why I only run it for 10 minutes at a time, which gets it up at around 160deg.

But, even for speed runs, your motor should not get that hot that quickly. Recommend checking your drive train, make sure nothing is binding. You can also run a fan on your motor to cool it down.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    the kv of the motor is 5700kv

The Kv value isn't the most important specification. If the motor has power enough, you should not have heating problems.
    Can you give more specific info about the motor? Brand? 2 pole or 4 pole?
    Nobody is born with experience

What sized battery are you using? I'm guessing 3S because if you are running 2S with 26/86 on a Bandit, I can't see how the motor would ever get the slightest bit warm.

RC Enthusiast
    Castle recommends running 2S LiPo or 6 - 7 cell NiMH with a 12 - 16 tooth pinion and a 90 tooth spur for the 1406 series 5700 kv motor, and a 12 - 14 tooth pinion and a 90 tooth spur for the cm36 5700 kv motor.

Final gear ratio for the Bandit is calculated by (# Spur Gear Teeth / # Pinion Gear Teeth) X 2.72
    (2.72 is the internal transmission gear ratio for the Magnum 272 transmission, which is stock for a Bandit)

16/90 gearing is a final gear ratio of about 15.3
    14/90 gearing is a final gear ratio of about 17.5
    Your gearing (26/86) is a final gear ratio of about 9

In other words your gearing seems way too high. A switch to a correct pinion and spur size would probably help the heat issues.

I think most manufacturers give conservative recommendations and I don't always follow them. But I think you do need some experience before going over the recommendations.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Im running the castle 1406 5700kv motor which is 4 pole. I'm also running a venom 5000mah 25c 2s lipo. It gets pretty hot(can burn my finger after about 10 min. of not running it to hard.) Itried running a 19t pinion but the power was GREATLY reduced and it still got hot before the battery had died.
    Last edited by rcguy1324; 06-02-2013 at 03:38 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Oh, and i had a 90t spur and it was to big. It rubbed on the screw that holds the camber link to the shock tower.

RC Enthusiast
    It seems something is wrong with your motor or something in the drive line is not right, causing the motor to work harder, as Greatscott said.
    Last edited by tyler2474; 06-02-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler2474 View Post
    Castle recommends running 2S LiPo or 6 - 7 cell NiMH with a 12 - 16 tooth pinion and a 90 tooth spur for the 1406 series 5700 kv motor, and a 12 - 14 tooth pinion and a 90 tooth spur for the cm36 5700 kv motor.

Final gear ratio for the Bandit is calculated by (# Spur Gear Teeth / # Pinion Gear Teeth) X 2.72
    (2.72 is the internal transmission gear ratio for the Magnum 272 transmission, which is stock for a Bandit)

16/90 gearing is a final gear ratio of about 15.3
    14/90 gearing is a final gear ratio of about 17.5
    Your gearing (26/86) is a final gear ratio of about 9

In other words your gearing seems way too high. A switch to a correct pinion and spur size would probably help the heat issues.
    What vehicle is that for? The thing that is not mentioned here is the vehicle, which can make a world of difference as far as gear ratios go. For something like a Slash or maybe a Stampede, your gear ratio is gonna be way different than a Bandit simply due to overall weight and tire/wheel size. The Bandit comes stock with a 76-tooth spur, while the Slash comes stock with a 90-tooth. Same 2.72/1 transmission though. See where I'm coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by tyler2474 View Post
    It seems something is wrong with your motor or something in the drive line is not right, causing the motor to work harder, as Greatscott said.
    +1. No way your motor should be getting that hot considering you say that you're not even running it hard, plus you said your doing speed runs, which would lead me to believe your on pavement. No way it should be that hot on 2S under those circumstances.

RC Enthusiast
    All the gearing came right off of Castle's gearing chart and they are for the Bandit. Here is the chart: http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...ring_chart.pdf

RC Qualifier
    Last night i cleaned out the trannsmisssion. Everything was good so now i guess i have to look at the driveshafts. I'm not sure. My gearing is lower than stock and I would really like to run the 31/76 but it gets bad when i do that.
    Last edited by rcguy1324; 06-03-2013 at 06:32 AM.

RC Champion
    something is definately out of wack there. I run a rustler and slash with the same motor. The rustler is running 21/86 and the slash is running 25/86.. either could go higher, but I like to run 3S in the rustler so I keep it that way. With a light bandit you should be able to gear higher. I have found that once you overheat a Castle motor (depends on how much) they will not run as cool as they used to. The original Poster never gave a temp measurement, just from feel. Are you sure its running too hot? I have a high tollerance for heat where others don't. You might be running 120-130 and think thats hot. I don't really feel a difference until it gets much higher.. Thats why I use a temp gun and telemetry.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, it got pretty hot to the touch, BUT i tried to use and old food temp gun, one with the metal stick that you put in water. It said 130 and it was burning my finger. I really need to get a proper temp gun.

Quote Originally Posted by rcguy1324 View Post
    Yeah, it got pretty hot to the touch, BUT i tried to use and old food temp gun, one with the metal stick that you put in water. It said 130 and it was burning my finger. I really need to get a proper temp gun.
    You can get a Duratrax temp gun for about $20 (around $30 at your LHS). It is well worth the money, $20 now to prevent you from burning up a $80 motor. When ever I install new hardware I run it in steps starting at 5 minutes and check temps, just to make sure that I am not going to fry anything. After about two packs I have figured out that my setup works and I can run full out, or I need to adjust something to bring the temps down; this includes when I install a new servo.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    they have them at Pepboys to for $30

RC Racer
    Brushless Rustler XL5 - MERV VXL

Quote Originally Posted by Climax View Post
    Have you ever calibrated it against a name brand temp gun? Harbor Freight is hit or miss with a lot of their stuff. I'm just curious as to how accurate it really is, especially when using it to monitor expensive electronics. I buy stuff from there on occasion. Some works great, some not-so-great and some not at all.

RC Racer
    I run my Bandit on the street mainly and used to run 31/76 on the stock vxl ready gearbox it came with - using a hobbywing 4000kv 9T and 2S - no prob's with heat at all. With the speed runs you need to get the speed up progressively and do like 4-6 runs and let it cool or take it easier for a little bit, shouldn't get very hot at all though.

Im now running the Hobbywing 3656 SCT 4 pole 4000kv 9T motor and 120A SC8 esc combo on a 3 cell in the Bandit and the motor only gets slightly warm after 5-6 speed passes. I'm now running the Pro-line gearbox with the 31/78 gears in it.

What's your slipper clutch set at? that could also cause it to heat up faster than normal if not set correctly.
    PHOENIX Bandit,Summit,Funny Car,Darkrayne Rustler

RC Qualifier
    I have the slipper backed out to 1 full turn

RC Qualifier
    OH, and thanks a ton for the link to harbor freight.

I have the slipper backed out to 1 full turn
    My rule of thumb is 1/8-1/4 turn. You're too loose which will add heat to the motor and slipper.
    Last edited by O.G.; 06-04-2013 at 12:01 PM.

RC Qualifier
    so having the slipper out further gives it more heat? I had never thought about it before.

so having the slipper out further gives it more heat? I had never thought about it before.
    Sure does. So if your slipper is loose the motor is spinning faster than it needs to be, and the friction builds heat in the slipper which breaks down the pads, warps the disc and puts a glaze on both surfaces. You want it tight but not too tight.

The motor gets warmer because you have to apply more amps (power) to get the same results... i.e. a speed of 30mph, or a wheelie, or whatever else you're trying to do.
    Last edited by O.G.; 06-04-2013 at 01:05 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I'm getting ready to go out, ill see how everything works.

RC Racer
    Keep us posted!
    PHOENIX Bandit,Summit,Funny Car,Darkrayne Rustler

RC Qualifier
    Ok, so I went out to run in my alley but afteri tuned it on and hit the throttle nothing happened. I let of the throttle and hit it again and the car moved for about 2 feet but then stopped. it kept doing this. At least my heating problem is gone.

RC Qualifier
    how can i fix that ^^^^^^

how can i fix that ^^^^^^
    Not enough information to say.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Sounds like the main lipo is dead. Are u sure you have it charged up?

RC Qualifier
    I took it out right after it was done on the charger.

could i have fried my motor or esc?
    Last edited by rcguy1324; 06-05-2013 at 02:14 PM.

RC Qualifier
    also it only has like 10 charges on it

My stepdad had powers with his MMP while running a velinoen on a 2s. Motor get super hot really fast no matter the. Gearing. Turned out something to do it the throttle channel was reversed on his radio but the Esc was programmed for normal while he had the motor wiring connected backwards while running 15 degrees of timing. So we fix he channeling and wiring and the motor never got hot no matter how much timing or gearing on 2s.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Champion
    check your wires from the esc to the motor and also from the RX to the ESC, maybe something is loose. When you start up, first plug in the battery and turn on the power, are you getting the normal beeps and an amber blinking light, or is it blinking red.. Red means its not getting signal.. If everything is normal maybe the motor went bad.. but I doubt it.. I've had this happen a few times and I just had to rebind the radio..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Qualifier
    Ok, this is embarrasing, it turns out i was charging my battery at 0.1 amps insteat of 5 and after 1 hour i took it out and obviously it didn't work. just got it off the charger and it works fine. Didn't get to check the temps yet, but i will definatly be making a trip to Harbor Freight. Thanks for all of your help ill post what the temp is when i get the gun.