RC Enthusiast

Rustler VXL Rear A-arm conversion?

Just had a quick question, I've been looking around and I've seen that there is a conversion for the front A-arms to make them wider. For some reason I thought I also saw people doing this to their rear a-arms a few years back. Am I making this up? If so has anyone tried it and if not can anyone steer me in the right direction.

RC Enthusiast
    If you do your going too need longer suspension pins.

Check out the jang wide mod on ultimate traxxas. Looks pretty well done.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 06-02-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Merged

Now days most people just go to the ProTrac kit when they want to widen the Rusty. Before it was available the most common method was to put rear arms on the front and then run front offset wheels on all four corners. The front wheel on the rear gave it a little wider stance but I have never seen the arms themselves swapped out to widen the rear of the Rusty.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    Jangs wide mod is awesome. I've done a few and it's hard to roll it over.

Run it till you break it Then upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I have never seen the arms themselves swapped out to widen the rear of the Rusty.
    Weren't some people fitting Jato arms on the Rustler years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Weren't some people fitting Jato arms on the Rustler years ago?
    Yes but on the front and it made the front ridiculously wide. The front was wider than the rear by a good bit and the front track was actually wider than the wheelbase was long.It was all on the front though and nothing to the rear.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Yes but on the front and it made the front ridiculously wide. The front was wider than the rear by a good bit and the front track was actually wider than the wheelbase was long.It was all on the front though and nothing to the rear.
    Sounds about right. Honestly, I think the rear arms on the front mod looks too wide. My T4 is maybe 1/4" wider than a standard Rustler and when people who aren't into r/c see it they say "Wow, that thing is really wide, huh?"

RC Enthusiast
    Where can I find the jang mod an the protrac mod, mainly a step by step and a parts list. I like the idea of being able to take turns at close to full speed without flipping

RC Enthusiast
    Alright, so I did some research on both mods and the protrac seems to be what im looking for, I was reading Pro-Lines article on it and it sounds like alot of modification that has to go into it but I'm definately fine with modification to improve anything. That being said can anyone give me insight on how much modding needs to be done and the difficulty level. Still looking for what parts are needed or does Pro-Line just sell it as a kit?

RC poster
    I run the rpm rear a-arms in the front off my rustler and is good.

Last edited by Srtr2r; 06-02-2013 at 09:37 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Sounds about right. Honestly, I think the rear arms on the front mod looks too wide. My T4 is maybe 1/4" wider than a standard Rustler and when people who aren't into r/c see it they say "Wow, that thing is really wide, huh?"
    Yeah, trucks like the T4, 22T and even the Firestorm have that look due to their respective bulkheads being more narrow combined with the longer arms. These trucks all have really good looking suspension setups. The protrac kit works really well but still doesn't give the rustler that wide look.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm not necessarily trying to do the conversion for looks, I'm more interested in the handling and suspension keeping it from flipping. This the reason I think the Protrac mod is the setup I want. New question tho, with the Protrac mod do I have to buy the Proline shocks or do the stock rustler shocks work for it? Also does anyone with the Protrac mod have any tips or opinions on it?

RC Enthusiast
    Alright, ended up spending the last two days trying to figure out what all is needed and what isn't. So far I've come up with this much, and please correct me if I'm wrong. All I need is the 2wd slash protrac suspension kit, I can still run my stock shocks, and everything just bolts to the same place as the old components (for a Rustler). This is definately going to be on my next order on pay day but I came up with something else in my research, do these driveshafts fit onto the Rustler after the protrac conversion?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oTrac-Axle-Kit

RC Champion
    Keep in mind that the protrac kit also requires the use of 4 front offset wheels and tires.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjalo28 View Post
    Jangs wide mod is awesome. I've done a few and it's hard to roll it over.

Run it till you break it Then upgrade
    Which one is stock

Quote Originally Posted by Jwerbelow View Post
    Which one is stock
    I would assume the not so wide one.